2002 Transmission "Thunk"

Old March 30th 05, 04:58 PM

Default 2002 Transmission "Thunk"

Hi,

I have a 2002 V6 XLT with 4WD. In the last week, it has exhibited a
strange behavior. First thing in the morning, when cold (maybe low
50's/high 40's) when I start it and back out of the driveway there is a
noticabel noise coming from (perhaps) the front fifferential, transfer
case or transmission.

If I coast in neutral there is a definite drag on the drivetrain. If I
turn the engine off in neutral or park and restart the problem
persists. If I turn the key all the way off, there is a definite
release of energy from the drivetrain. If I only turn the key to "off"
the energy will not release.

This seems to indicate an electrical issue?

I have to go through the drive/stop/off/start/drive sequence several
times and then it will go away. I have tried cycling through 4x4 high,
4x4 low, 4x4 auto thinking perhaps this was a controller issue but to
no avail.

The problem goes away after a few cycles (or perhaps fully warming
up?).

It is difficult to get to the shop so if this is a simple or common
issue I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks to all for reading and replying.

Old March 31st 05, 03:46 AM
Hairy

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2002 V6 XLT with 4WD. In the last week, it has exhibited a
> strange behavior. First thing in the morning, when cold (maybe low
> 50's/high 40's) when I start it and back out of the driveway there is a
> noticabel noise coming from (perhaps) the front fifferential, transfer
> case or transmission.
>
> If I coast in neutral there is a definite drag on the drivetrain. If I
> turn the engine off in neutral or park and restart the problem
> persists. If I turn the key all the way off, there is a definite
> release of energy from the drivetrain. If I only turn the key to "off"
> the energy will not release.

You have me confused, here. How do you differentiate between "off" and "all
the way off"?

Old March 31st 05, 06:39 AM

All the way off is the setting the key is in when it is inserted or
removed, and off is the position after starting, when turned off but
not removed.

Old March 31st 05, 02:14 PM
Hairy

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> All the way off is the setting the key is in when it is inserted or
> removed, and off is the position after starting, when turned off but
> not removed.

Ok, I understand. I wouldn't think there would be any difference,
electrically, between the off position and the lock position, but I could be
wrong. It suggests a wiring problem in the column, to me, but that's pure
speculation. Hopefully, someone else will have a solution for you.

Old March 31st 05, 04:57 PM

Update:

This morning it did it again. If I accelerate to say 20-25MPH hear the
grinding/gear whine, and then put in neutral the whine will stay with
the engine on or off, but if I turn the key to "lock" (all the way off)
it stops. If I turn the key just 1 click toward on, it starts again
after 2-3 seconds and I can repeat this until the car stops moving.

Old April 5th 05, 11:39 PM

More update:

Yesterday and today I allowed the vehicle to idle to a warm up, about 8
minutes. So far, no problem. I suspect it may be related to
transmission fluid/viscosity issues although the on/off issue still
perplexes me.

I'll try a transmission service and see what happens next. The local
Ford dealer is known for finding all sorts of things to fix.

transmission flushes? Magnulus Driving 2 March 10th 05 04:33 AM
2002 transmission problem? thekid Ford Explorer 3 December 29th 04 08:09 PM
LW200 2002 2.2 L - Transmission Vibrations EJB Saturn 1 November 5th 04 03:31 AM
1997 civic transmission or ecu problem ?? Matt Honda 1 October 10th 04 05:00 PM
2000 C5, 50k miles, 6-spd, transmission noise Alex J. Avriette Corvette 4 August 31st 04 01:35 AM