Lump in Idle; 01 PT Cruiser

Old June 22nd 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Richard

Default Lump in Idle; 01 PT Cruiser

> There should be TWO relays -- high and lo speed relays for the fans.
> What Glenn suggested (and this sounds perfectly reasonable) that in
> the fan assembly has the low speed circuit burnt out somehow.
>
> You can test this assumption by "bypassing" (be careful how you do
> that as not to burn out the computer, etc) the low speed "function".
> My guess that the fans won't come on, which will confirm Glenn's
> diagnosis of a bad fan assembly/wiring related to it.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Alex

The low speed fan works, the vehicle does not overheat. The high speed
function did not come on with the air-conditioned. I confirmed that it
worked by bypassing the high speed relay.

The Chrysler tech hooked it up to the computer and reported to me that I
needed a new fan assembly and a new wire harness for $500.00 since the
dealer's computer could only get the high speed fan to run at a low speed. I
told him I did not think that was correct since I could activate both fan
speeds, even though the computer code reader could not confirm this. I
suggested that he check the pressure of the system. He then found the high
side way too high and adjusted it to spec. He then found the low side too
low. He then said that I needed a new part for the air conditioner system
since a tube with a restrictor was too restricted, all for about $300.00
with no credit for the diagnosis fee of $85.00.

Something does not add up. Why would the car's computer not be telling the
high speed relay to turn on with the compressor? Too much pressure; I don't
see it. To much tube restriction; I don't see it. And why would the dealer's
computer only be able to turn on the high speed fan and get a slow speed
response?

By the way, the air conditioning is nice and cool during this situation.

Richard

Old June 23rd 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Richard" > wrote in message
> > There should be TWO relays -- high and lo speed relays for the fans.
> > What Glenn suggested (and this sounds perfectly reasonable) that in
> > the fan assembly has the low speed circuit burnt out somehow.
> >
> > You can test this assumption by "bypassing" (be careful how you do
> > that as not to burn out the computer, etc) the low speed "function".
> > My guess that the fans won't come on, which will confirm Glenn's
> > diagnosis of a bad fan assembly/wiring related to it.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Alex

> The low speed fan works, the vehicle does not overheat. The high speed
> function did not come on with the air-conditioned. I confirmed that it
> worked by bypassing the high speed relay.
>
> The Chrysler tech hooked it up to the computer and reported to me that I
> needed a new fan assembly and a new wire harness for $500.00 since the
> dealer's computer could only get the high speed fan to run at a low speed.

> told him I did not think that was correct since I could activate both fan
> speeds, even though the computer code reader could not confirm this. I
> suggested that he check the pressure of the system. He then found the high
> side way too high and adjusted it to spec. He then found the low side too
> low. He then said that I needed a new part for the air conditioner system
> since a tube with a restrictor was too restricted, all for about $300.00
> with no credit for the diagnosis fee of $85.00.
>
> Something does not add up. Why would the car's computer not be telling the
> high speed relay to turn on with the compressor? Too much pressure; I

don't
> see it. To much tube restriction; I don't see it. And why would the

dealer's
> computer only be able to turn on the high speed fan and get a slow speed
> response?
>
> By the way, the air conditioning is nice and cool during this situation.

I know someone's going to gack when I say this but I'm going to say it
anyway.

For 50 cents of wire you can wire the fan relay to be on high all of the
time.
It won't hurt anything. Perhaps cost a bit of mileage. Wire it this way
for
the summer. Then take the wire out in the winter.

In all liklihood the A/C system will leak in another 3-5 years due to simple
age,
or the compressor will burn out, and then you will have to spend some money
to fix it. You can get the fan fixed then.

Ted

Old June 23rd 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

typical dealer bull**** take it to a local shop and get it fixed right the first
time

Old June 25th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Richard

"Typical dealer bull**** take it to a local shop and get it fixed right the
first
time."

First problem is that the Desk guy you are forced to deal with do not fully
and accurately communicate what he is told to the service tech. Then the
service tech does what Chrysler procedures tell he to check about the fan
not running and does nothing further to confirm that perhaps spending the
recommended $500 for a new fan and wire harness may not be needed. Gerrrrr.

Richard