'96 6-cyl. Stratus starting problem

Old June 25th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default '96 6-cyl. Stratus starting problem

Over the last few months our 1996 V-6 Stratus ES has occasionally been
difficult to start after standing for an hour or two (but never after
standing overnight, IIRC). The engine cranks over at full speed, but it
does not "catch." After leaving it alone for a while, however, it will
then start straight away, with no sign of ignition or fuel-supply problems.

Where do we start looking for the problem?

Perce
Old June 25th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

fault codes

Old June 25th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Since the "Check Engine" light is not on, I assumed that there would be
no fault codes. Was my assumption incorrect?

Perce

Old June 25th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Gyzmologist

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> Over the last few months our 1996 V-6 Stratus ES has occasionally been
> difficult to start after standing for an hour or two (but never after
> standing overnight, IIRC). The engine cranks over at full speed, but it
> does not "catch." After leaving it alone for a while, however, it will
> then start straight away, with no sign of ignition or fuel-supply problems.
>
> Where do we start looking for the problem?
>
> Perce

If the fuel injectors are leaking it would flood the engine and make it
hard to start. Sitting over night would allow enough time for the excess
fuel to dissipate. If this is the case, you can check the exhaust pipe
for raw fuel smell. If you smell raw fuel, then use the starting
procedure for a flooded engine (hold throttle to floor while cranking).

--
Gyz

07 Saturn Sky
98 Dodge Status ES
94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
Old June 25th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hennie

"Percival P. Cassidy" > schreef in bericht
> Over the last few months our 1996 V-6 Stratus ES has occasionally been
> difficult to start after standing for an hour or two (but never after
> standing overnight, IIRC). The engine cranks over at full speed, but it
> does not "catch." After leaving it alone for a while, however, it will
> then start straight away, with no sign of ignition or fuel-supply
> problems.
>
> Where do we start looking for the problem?
>
> Perce

This is only a suggestion but I had the same problem with my Porsche 924 8
years ago. After a long search I found out it was the ignition coil under
the highvoltage distributor (that thing were the sparkplugcables come
together) I took it out the vehicle and measured the resistant. When I make
it hot with a hairdryer I saw the resistant changed to 0. After a while,
when the coil cooled down, the resistant came back. I replaced the coil and
I had never problems again. It is possible that your Stratus have the same
problem.

I hope you understand my bad English, Hennie.

96 Stratus Brake Problem mkal2 Dodge 5 August 11th 06 08:29 PM
'04 Stratus Sedan Problem gr8dude5 Dodge 0 June 10th 05 02:42 PM
96 Stratus-Banging when starting and stoping/slowing JL Chrysler 3 April 25th 05 10:09 PM
Stratus '95 Transmission Problem Magiel Venema Chrysler 2 October 10th 04 09:23 AM
Dodge Stratus 97 speedometer problem Moustro Dodge 2 September 29th 04 03:24 PM