87 prelude alternator 1.8L

Old February 23rd 05, 09:16 PM
disallow

Default 87 prelude alternator 1.8L

Hey everyone,

Well I ordered an alternator off of EBay. May
not have been smart, but the guy had a really
good rating.

Anyways, I got it, and I took it to the local
autoparts store to test it, and it passed. BUT
it was also making a lot of noise, IE the
bearing. No big deal, that bearing sells for
like $1.10 at my buddy's work. So I take it
apart to replace the bearing and.........

One of the damn brushes is broken! So now the
question is: Is there a way to replace the
brushes on this alternator?

I don't have the shop manual for this car. I do
have the Accord Manual, but it shows that there
are screws to remove the brush assembly, and
those screws are not present on this alternator.

Any ideas? I think I have a set of brushes that
will work, if I can only remove the broken one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Terry

Old February 23rd 05, 10:38 PM
remco

"disallow" <loewen_t at yahoo.ca @> wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hey everyone,
>
> Well I ordered an alternator off of EBay. May
> not have been smart, but the guy had a really
> good rating.
>
> Anyways, I got it, and I took it to the local
> autoparts store to test it, and it passed. BUT
> it was also making a lot of noise, IE the
> bearing. No big deal, that bearing sells for
> like $1.10 at my buddy's work. So I take it
> apart to replace the bearing and.........
>
> One of the damn brushes is broken! So now the
> question is: Is there a way to replace the
> brushes on this alternator?
>
> I don't have the shop manual for this car. I do
> have the Accord Manual, but it shows that there
> are screws to remove the brush assembly, and
> those screws are not present on this alternator.
>

> Any ideas? I think I have a set of brushes that
> will work, if I can only remove the broken one.
>

> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Terry

You should be able to a brush assembly at the honda dealership.

Old February 23rd 05, 11:01 PM
disallow

oh ya, and i figured out how to remove the
brushes, they are just soldered in place, so i
put the soldering iron on the bottom of the
housing where the wires stick out, and POP, out
they come. coooool.

And I found some brushes at a local auto
electric shop.

Thanks!

selling my 92 prelude 300lb club Honda 0 February 14th 05 05:07 PM
1986 Honda Prelude Si, Mechanic's Special For sale [email protected] Honda 0 February 1st 05 07:05 PM
Engine choices for Prelude 2.0S Prelude hope Honda 0 October 22nd 04 03:24 AM
1992 Prelude Cold Starting Problem (White Smoke) Ryan Radford Honda 2 October 21st 04 01:08 AM
HELP!! prelude 1992 ignition problem Gandalf the Grey Honda 3 October 17th 04 08:43 AM