What about these gifts to Toyota

Old December 13th 08, 11:59 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Tim[_16_]

Default What about these gifts to Toyota

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:10:18 -0500, Tim wrote:
>
>> I don't think this is a loan, is it? It is giving Toyota the money to
>> pay these workers wages for 7 or 8 years, from the taxpayer and workers
>> themselves. This is what has to stop.

> It's called getting the manufacturer into your area. See, they aren't
> dumb. They know that 4,000 underemployed people put more of a drain on the
> system than giving the manufacturer a tax break. it works well because
> instead of having 4,000 people making minimum wage, paying taxes at the
> minimum wage rate, and often asking for assistance such as fuel assistance
> or Food Stamps, you now have 4,000 people paying IN taxes at a higher rate.
> While they may not be making as much as if they had 4,000 people paying
> higher taxes AND a corporation paying taxes, they are still coming out
> ahead.
>
> This is where 'trickle-down' works. Now you have 4,000 people with REAL
> wages and more disposable income, so more people are going to open shops
> in the area, and again the 'lost' taxes are more than compensated.
>
> So, they didn't really give anything away. They're probably laughing their
> asses off at Detroit.

So you pay $250,000.00 per job? So you use taxes to pay the wages from
which taxes are then deducted.
You must be an economist.
Old December 14th 08, 01:08 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Mark A[_2_]

"Tim" > wrote in message
> So you pay $250,000.00 per job? So you use taxes to pay the wages from
> which taxes are then deducted.
> You must be an economist.

Most of the tax breaks are on property taxes or other taxes that would not
exist if the company did not move there and build a facility on vacant land
or farmland. How much do you think you can tax farmland or vacant land?

Old December 14th 08, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:59:34 -0500, Tim wrote:

> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:10:18 -0500, Tim wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think this is a loan, is it? It is giving Toyota the money to
>>> pay these workers wages for 7 or 8 years, from the taxpayer and workers
>>> themselves. This is what has to stop.

>> It's called getting the manufacturer into your area. See, they aren't
>> dumb. They know that 4,000 underemployed people put more of a drain on the
>> system than giving the manufacturer a tax break. it works well because
>> instead of having 4,000 people making minimum wage, paying taxes at the
>> minimum wage rate, and often asking for assistance such as fuel assistance
>> or Food Stamps, you now have 4,000 people paying IN taxes at a higher rate.
>> While they may not be making as much as if they had 4,000 people paying
>> higher taxes AND a corporation paying taxes, they are still coming out
>> ahead.
>>
>> This is where 'trickle-down' works. Now you have 4,000 people with REAL
>> wages and more disposable income, so more people are going to open shops
>> in the area, and again the 'lost' taxes are more than compensated.
>>
>> So, they didn't really give anything away. They're probably laughing their
>> asses off at Detroit.

> So you pay $250,000.00 per job? So you use taxes to pay the wages from
> which taxes are then deducted.
> You must be an economist.

They aren't 'paying' anything. They have given Toyota tax breaks for
moving the factory into the town.

In the long run, it makes economic sense. Like I said, 4-6,000 people
*working* is a lot better than 4-6,000 people NOT working, or making
minimum wage.

The tax incentive will run out, and then the factory will be paying taxes.

The town is coming out ahead.

Old December 14th 08, 01:32 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
News

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:59:34 -0500, Tim wrote:
>

>>Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>>It's called getting the manufacturer into your area. See, they aren't
>>>dumb. They know that 4,000 underemployed people put more of a drain on the
>>>system than giving the manufacturer a tax break. it works well because
>>>instead of having 4,000 people making minimum wage, paying taxes at the
>>>minimum wage rate, and often asking for assistance such as fuel assistance
>>>or Food Stamps, you now have 4,000 people paying IN taxes at a higher rate.
>>>While they may not be making as much as if they had 4,000 people paying
>>>higher taxes AND a corporation paying taxes, they are still coming out
>>>ahead.
>>>
>>>This is where 'trickle-down' works. Now you have 4,000 people with REAL
>>>wages and more disposable income, so more people are going to open shops
>>>in the area, and again the 'lost' taxes are more than compensated.
>>>
>>>So, they didn't really give anything away. They're probably laughing their
>>>asses off at Detroit.

>>So you pay $250,000.00 per job? So you use taxes to pay the wages from
>>which taxes are then deducted.
>>You must be an economist.

> They aren't 'paying' anything. They have given Toyota tax breaks for
> moving the factory into the town.
>
> In the long run, it makes economic sense. Like I said, 4-6,000 people
> *working* is a lot better than 4-6,000 people NOT working, or making
> minimum wage.
>
> The tax incentive will run out, and then the factory will be paying taxes.
>
> The town is coming out ahead.

Yeah, just setting up a race to the bottom.

Ask Indianapolis how their big maintenance hangar deal worked out.
Old December 14th 08, 04:11 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:32:49 -0500, News wrote:

> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>>So you pay $250,000.00 per job? So you use taxes to pay the wages from
>>>which taxes are then deducted.
>>>You must be an economist.

>> They aren't 'paying' anything. They have given Toyota tax breaks for
>> moving the factory into the town.
>>
>> In the long run, it makes economic sense. Like I said, 4-6,000 people
>> *working* is a lot better than 4-6,000 people NOT working, or making
>> minimum wage.
>>
>> The tax incentive will run out, and then the factory will be paying taxes.
>>
>> The town is coming out ahead.

> Yeah, just setting up a race to the bottom.
>
> Ask Indianapolis how their big maintenance hangar deal worked out.

Only problem is, Toyota makes a *profit*.

YEah, setting up a company that operates at a loss is pretty stupid,
isn't it?

Old December 14th 08, 04:38 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
News

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:32:49 -0500, News wrote:
>

>>Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>>They aren't 'paying' anything. They have given Toyota tax breaks for
>>>moving the factory into the town.
>>>
>>>In the long run, it makes economic sense. Like I said, 4-6,000 people
>>>*working* is a lot better than 4-6,000 people NOT working, or making
>>>minimum wage.
>>>
>>>The tax incentive will run out, and then the factory will be paying taxes.
>>>
>>>The town is coming out ahead.

>>Yeah, just setting up a race to the bottom.
>>
>>Ask Indianapolis how their big maintenance hangar deal worked out.

> Only problem is, Toyota makes a *profit*.
>
> YEah, setting up a company that operates at a loss is pretty stupid,
> isn't it?

Profit or loss is not the issue.

The issue is municipalities issuing incentives to steal other
municipalities' businesses and tax revenues.

Not even a zero sum game, a race to the bottom.
Old December 14th 08, 04:59 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Mark A[_2_]

"News" > wrote in message
t...
> Profit or loss is not the issue.
>
> The issue is municipalities issuing incentives to steal other
> municipalities' businesses and tax revenues.
>
> Not even a zero sum game, a race to the bottom.

Not any different than a business (or individual proprietor) who lowers
their prices to attract more business away from other businesses. Other
countries do the same thing to attract business to offshore locations.
That's the way the system works. If you don't like it, there is still North
Korea or Cuba that you can move to.

Old December 14th 08, 05:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
News

Mark A wrote:
> "News" > wrote in message
> t...
>
>>Profit or loss is not the issue.
>>
>>The issue is municipalities issuing incentives to steal other
>>municipalities' businesses and tax revenues.
>>
>>Not even a zero sum game, a race to the bottom.

> Not any different than a business (or individual proprietor) who lowers
> their prices to attract more business away from other businesses. Other
> countries do the same thing to attract business to offshore locations.
> That's the way the system works. If you don't like it, there is still North
> Korea or Cuba that you can move to.

Enjoy your race to the bottom. First one there loses.
Old December 14th 08, 05:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
JoeSpareBedroom

"Mark A" > wrote in message
> "News" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Profit or loss is not the issue.
>>
>> The issue is municipalities issuing incentives to steal other
>> municipalities' businesses and tax revenues.
>>
>> Not even a zero sum game, a race to the bottom.

> Not any different than a business (or individual proprietor) who lowers
> their prices to attract more business away from other businesses. Other
> countries do the same thing to attract business to offshore locations.
> That's the way the system works. If you don't like it, there is still
> North Korea or Cuba that you can move to.

Close attention to the workings of your city or town council will reveal
that such dealings are not always based on good business sense.
Unfortunately, such close attention might require ripping yourself away from
television once or twice a month.

Old December 14th 08, 05:07 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
News

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:38:05 -0500, News wrote:
>

>>>Only problem is, Toyota makes a *profit*.
>>>
>>>YEah, setting up a company that operates at a loss is pretty stupid,
>>>isn't it?
>>>

>>Profit or loss is not the issue.
>>
>>The issue is municipalities issuing incentives to steal other
>>municipalities' businesses and tax revenues.
>>
>>Not even a zero sum game, a race to the bottom.

> How do you figure?
>
> Toyota is still turning a profit even though sales are down.
>
> GM shows a loss on the auto business when cars are selling. They make
> their money on financials.
>
> Toyota keeps people employed even when the plant is shutdown.
>
> All that adds up to taxes coming in.

Yes, and less taxes, less services, less disposable income, less
charity, less, less, less, less.

Enjoy your race to the bottom. First one there loses, big time.