Figuring Out How Much a Hybrid, Diesel, or Small Car Will Save Per Year

Old October 22nd 07, 01:12 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Grumpy AuContraire

Default Figuring Out How Much a Hybrid, Diesel, or Small Car Will SavePer Year

EdV wrote:

> On Oct 19, 7:55 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
> wrote:

>>>Well, not exactly what I had in mind, I was thinking more of hybrids
>>>being able to reduce Carbon emissions and that you cant put a price on
>>>that. That sort of stuff and no mass murder involved.

>>Ah.
>>
>>Well, then, you CAN put a price tag on saving the environment, then.

> You are right, there's a way to compute Carbon emission per kilometer
> or something, Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a hybrid owner. To
> be honest I'm guilty too, do I want a keep my money and buy a less
> expensive non hybrid car or do I my part to reduce carbon emission and
> buy a hybrid. I kept my money.

<rant on>

Why izzit that every new catchword becomes yet another fad.

Got a carbon problem?

Plant more trees!

Why izzit that modern day PC folk insist on re-inventing wheel?

<rant over>

JT
Old October 22nd 07, 02:49 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Siskuwihane

On Oct 19, 8:05 pm, (Steven M. O'Neill) wrote:
> Mike Hunter > wrote:
> >Thank goodness for all of you people that are willing to by hybrids. Not
> >only are you saving the world you are saving gasoline so there will be
> >enough gasoline for those can afford to own and drive the bigger safer RWD
> >V8 sporty and luxury cars we love LOL

> Not only that, but since automakers have to meet a "fleet
> average" MPG, all buying a hybrid does is allow some other
> person to buy a bigger monster truck and eat up the savings.

Those are the same people at the pump next to me crying about the fuel
prices.

Old October 22nd 07, 06:15 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Bob & Holly Wilson

Siskuwihane > wrote:

> > Not only that, but since automakers have to meet a "fleet
> > average" MPG, all buying a hybrid does is allow some other
> > person to buy a bigger monster truck and eat up the savings.
> >

> Those are the same people at the pump next to me crying about the fuel
> prices.

We call that the 'stupid tax.'

Bob Wilson
Old October 22nd 07, 01:20 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
dgk

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:12:39 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire
> wrote:

>EdV wrote:
>
>> On Oct 19, 7:55 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
>> wrote:

>>>Ah.
>>>
>>>Well, then, you CAN put a price tag on saving the environment, then.

>> You are right, there's a way to compute Carbon emission per kilometer
>> or something, Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a hybrid owner. To
>> be honest I'm guilty too, do I want a keep my money and buy a less
>> expensive non hybrid car or do I my part to reduce carbon emission and
>> buy a hybrid. I kept my money.
>>

><rant on>
>
>Why izzit that every new catchword becomes yet another fad.
>
>Got a carbon problem?
>
>Plant more trees!
>
>Why izzit that modern day PC folk insist on re-inventing wheel?
>
><rant over>
>
>JT

Planting more trees is a good idea and we're doing it in my
neighborhood. But there is a limit to how many trees we can fit

It looks like human activity is causing some global problems. That
isn't really very surprising to me. We've dumped lots of stuff that
never existed in nature back into nature. We've cut down most of the
rain forests. We've pumped all kinds of stuff into the atmosphere.
We've caused the extinction of countless species (yes, we could
probably count them but I'm using the term to mean "a great many").

And when it's pointed out that perhaps we'd better do something to
protect the only planet we have and pass it on to future generations,
we get all kinds of gruff. Well, fine, maybe we're wrong and there is
no problem. Let's just continue what we're doing until it's too late.
Maybe science will come up with a fix. Or maybe we'll all get wiped
out or face a much more hostile environment.

Really, why should it bother me anyway? I'll be dead. I guess I'll buy
that hummer after all.

Old October 23rd 07, 04:32 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Grumpy AuContraire

dgk wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:12:39 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire
> > wrote:
>

>>EdV wrote:

>>>You are right, there's a way to compute Carbon emission per kilometer
>>>or something, Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a hybrid owner. To
>>>be honest I'm guilty too, do I want a keep my money and buy a less
>>>expensive non hybrid car or do I my part to reduce carbon emission and
>>>buy a hybrid. I kept my money.
>>>

>><rant on>
>>
>>Why izzit that every new catchword becomes yet another fad.
>>
>>Got a carbon problem?
>>
>>Plant more trees!
>>
>>Why izzit that modern day PC folk insist on re-inventing wheel?
>>
>><rant over>
>>
>>JT

> Planting more trees is a good idea and we're doing it in my
> neighborhood. But there is a limit to how many trees we can fit
>
> It looks like human activity is causing some global problems. That
> isn't really very surprising to me. We've dumped lots of stuff that
> never existed in nature back into nature. We've cut down most of the
> rain forests. We've pumped all kinds of stuff into the atmosphere.
> We've caused the extinction of countless species (yes, we could
> probably count them but I'm using the term to mean "a great many").
>
> And when it's pointed out that perhaps we'd better do something to
> protect the only planet we have and pass it on to future generations,
> we get all kinds of gruff. Well, fine, maybe we're wrong and there is
> no problem. Let's just continue what we're doing until it's too late.
> Maybe science will come up with a fix. Or maybe we'll all get wiped
> out or face a much more hostile environment.
>
> Really, why should it bother me anyway? I'll be dead. I guess I'll buy
> that hummer after all.

When it can be explained to me why adjacent planets are also warming up,
then I may admit that human contributions, (which by the way amount to
less than .5% of the increase in recent years), might be a factor.

The loss of carbon conversion can largely be attributed to the
destruction of the tropical and other rainforests and in that way, yes,
we are a factor and one that could easily be reversed.

But that does not 'plain the planetary warm up...

JT

Old October 23rd 07, 09:06 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Josh S

In article >,
notaguru > wrote:

> For example, my Prius may
> never need a brake job...

Dream on!
Old October 23rd 07, 09:10 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Josh S

In article . com>,
EdV > wrote:

> I was thinking more of hybrids
> being able to reduce Carbon emissions and that you cant put a price on
> that. That sort of stuff and no mass murder involved.

Difficult to put a price on something which the affect of isn't
accurately quantified.
The Carbon Offset con makes it even more difficult.
Old October 23rd 07, 09:11 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Josh S

In article >,
notaguru > wrote:

> Thinking further, the annual cost differential should
> also include consideration of trade-in or sales value
> when the time comes. I owned my early '04 for quite a
> while before it depreciated even a dollar, and today,
> after four years and a day, it can be sold for 80% of
> what I paid for it in 10/03 (kbb.com).
>
> In fact, since it has the desirable HOV stickers and is
> in perfect condition, I might get more than that...
> Astonishing!

You'll not know it's REAL value until you sell it.
Old October 23rd 07, 09:13 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Josh S

In article om>,
EdV > wrote:

> be honest I'm guilty too, do I want a keep my money and buy a less
> expensive non hybrid car or do I my part to reduce carbon emission and
> buy a hybrid. I kept my money.

The most effective way to reduce our cars impact is to drive less.
Old October 23rd 07, 01:43 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Siskuwihane

On Oct 23, 4:13 am, Josh S > wrote:
> In article om>,
>
> EdV > wrote:
> > be honest I'm guilty too, do I want a keep my money and buy a less
> > expensive non hybrid car or do I my part to reduce carbon emission and
> > buy a hybrid. I kept my money.

> The most effective way to reduce our cars impact is to drive less.

Exactly.