Back in the saddle again!

Old January 12th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Back in the saddle again!

Some of you may remember my saga about defecting from Miata to a C6
Corvette (the ultimate sports car, right?). Well, the Corvette was a
General Motors quality control nightmare - nuff said. I've owned a 91
base, a 92 B package, a 95M edition w/supercharger (should have NEVEr
sold that one!). Well, I'm back in the family with a 99 BRG Metallic,
base model (no cruise or PW, cloth interior otherwise fully equipped).
Got a great deal on it and know all about the infamous #4 bearing issue
which I believe is greatly overblown. Car has 68,000 miles with no
crank free endply, well maintained, etc.. Forgot how truly freeing it
is to drive a real sports car and how much more controllable it is than
a 400HP Corvette. I will say that the NB is absolutely smaller inside
than an NA, almost uncomfortably so for someone 6'2" and 200lbs.
Otherwise it is a more refined car, smoother reving engine, more bling
inside but still a Miata at heart. I've done all the fanatical
maintenance on it since buying (trans/diff fluids, plugs, wires,
induction cleaning, filters, etc. etc.). Will be replacing the shocks
next week and she'll be 100% at that point. Might order a spare coil
pack just in case!

I think I will keep this one for a good long time until I find the
ultimate 95M again - 1 owner, low mileage owned by a fellow fanatic and
then I will buy that as a forever car. If you know of such an animal
(manual of course), let me know and I'll hunt it down anywhere in the
US. In the meantime, it's nice to be back with a group of people who
don't spend more time waxing their cars then driving them (Corvette
owners are a strange breed - more discussion about wax choices than
driving the car).

So, forgive me my past sins, please welcome me back and keep an eye out
for the 95M for me.

Tom
99 BRGM - Lucy (after my wife)

Old January 12th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

tom4416 wrote:
> Some of you may remember my saga about defecting from Miata to a C6
> Corvette (the ultimate sports car, right?). Well, the Corvette was a
> General Motors quality control nightmare - nuff said. I've owned a 91
> base, a 92 B package, a 95M edition w/supercharger (should have NEVEr
> sold that one!). Well, I'm back in the family with a 99 BRG Metallic,
> base model (no cruise or PW, cloth interior otherwise fully equipped).
> Got a great deal on it and know all about the infamous #4 bearing issue
> which I believe is greatly overblown. Car has 68,000 miles with no
> crank free endply, well maintained, etc.. Forgot how truly freeing it
> is to drive a real sports car and how much more controllable it is than
> a 400HP Corvette. I will say that the NB is absolutely smaller inside
> than an NA, almost uncomfortably so for someone 6'2" and 200lbs.
> Otherwise it is a more refined car, smoother reving engine, more bling
> inside but still a Miata at heart. I've done all the fanatical
> maintenance on it since buying (trans/diff fluids, plugs, wires,
> induction cleaning, filters, etc. etc.). Will be replacing the shocks
> next week and she'll be 100% at that point. Might order a spare coil
> pack just in case!
>
> I think I will keep this one for a good long time until I find the
> ultimate 95M again - 1 owner, low mileage owned by a fellow fanatic and
> then I will buy that as a forever car. If you know of such an animal
> (manual of course), let me know and I'll hunt it down anywhere in the
> US. In the meantime, it's nice to be back with a group of people who
> don't spend more time waxing their cars then driving them (Corvette
> owners are a strange breed - more discussion about wax choices than
> driving the car).
>
> So, forgive me my past sins, please welcome me back and keep an eye out
> for the 95M for me.
>
> Tom
> 99 BRGM - Lucy (after my wife)

I keep hearing it over and over, "American cars are really improving and
are comparable to the imports now".

The above post helps prove to me, as real world experience has continued
to show me, that this is pure, unadulterated bull****.
Americans suck at designing and building cars, that is why I will never
buy one again unless the idea is to immediately resell it.
The Corvette was my only possible exception to this rule. I will take
your word for it and forever write it off the list as well.

Welcome back to the world of quality control and good luck on the '95M
search.
I'll let you know if I see something interesting.

Pat
Old January 13th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Pat,

I kind of thought the same way, that maybe they had crossed the quality
line and were building good cars (especially their flagship model).
Four weeks in the dealership for various electronic gremlins and then
the last one was failed clutch packs in the rear diff for the LSD (with
12,000 miles and not run hard). The killer was when the dealer said
(a) they didn't know if they could fix it and (b) if they can "figure"
it out, parts are on backorder for six weeks because of the number of
failures. That was it, off to Carmax and back to the Miata.

Tom

Old January 13th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Welcome back Tom. I still haven't mounted snow tires on those wheels you
sold me, but with the current East Coast warm weather pattern that may not
be an issue. We test drove a '99 with windup windows before going with the
used '97 off a two year lease. I would have been happy with that one. Hell,
I can't think of a Miata I wouldn't be happy with. Find a sucker......er
buyer for the Corvette yet?
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old January 13th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article .com>,
"tom4416" > wrote:

> The killer was when the dealer said
> (a) they didn't know if they could fix it and (b) if they can "figure"
> it out, parts are on backorder for six weeks because of the number of
> failures.

Ouch! So sad to hear about anyone's dream being shattered so cruelly.
Hope you didn't take too bad a beating on the sale.

When the memories have mellowed a bit, perhaps you'll share the fun
things about your Vette with us. Anyway, good to see you again.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old January 13th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

tom4416 wrote:
> Pat,
>
> I kind of thought the same way, that maybe they had crossed the quality
> line and were building good cars (especially their flagship model).
> Four weeks in the dealership for various electronic gremlins and then
> the last one was failed clutch packs in the rear diff for the LSD (with
> 12,000 miles and not run hard). The killer was when the dealer said
> (a) they didn't know if they could fix it and (b) if they can "figure"
> it out, parts are on backorder for six weeks because of the number of
> failures. That was it, off to Carmax and back to the Miata.
>
> Tom

Yes, after driving a car for 5 years/70,000 miles that only went to the
dealer because they had a great alignment machine, this would be
completely unacceptable to me as well.
The current turbo monster that I have now put about 12,000 miles on has
also needed no repairs so far since I have owned it.

I bought the '96M at 3 years and 10,000 miles, and it never needed
mechanical repair of any kind on any OEM parts other than the famous
leaky slave cylinder. That, and I let the plastic window go bad, but
that was my fault.
Everything else done to the car was voluntary and aftermarket.

I have dealt on and off with about 5 different miatas on a regular or
semi-regular basis. Four weeks is longer than all of the repair time for
all 5 miatas total during the time I have spent with them.

We also have the *greatest* miata mechanic I have ever dealt with here
in Austin. There is no "might" on him figuring out the problem, his
rates are excellent, and the work is top-notch.
He works with Corky Bell, who installed my exhaust, so that is obviously
where I am going if I have any forced induction problems, assuming that
I stay in Austin.
The only problem is, I don't get to use his services often because the
cars just haven't been breaking down. :-)

Pat
Old January 13th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tom wrote:
> Some of you may remember my saga about defecting from

Miata to a C6
> Corvette (the ultimate sports car, right?). Well, the

Corvette was a
> General Motors quality control nightmare - nuff said.

I've owned a 91
> base, a 92 B package, a 95M edition w/supercharger (should

have NEVEr
> sold that one!). Well, I'm back in the family with a 99

BRG Metallic,
> base model (no cruise or PW, cloth interior otherwise

fully equipped).
<snippage>

Welcome back to *fun* driving. I think you need to do some
type of penitence though -washing, waxing and detailing my
car every week for the next 6 months should be about right.
<g>

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old January 14th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tom,

Sorry to hear of your grief, we grieve with you, as others have mentioned,
most of us not only root for the home team (any american car builder) to
come thru but, the Vette is one of our highest hopes.

I recently bought a 99 base model (prev had a 92 Blk n Tan) also and I am
loving it. Just did the KYB AGX shocks and that was a huge improvement. I'll
be asking here if sway bar upgrades can be expected to be as significant /
beneficial as they were on the ol NA. I kind of miss those excellent seats
the NA had though.

Looking forward to more Vette stories and many more Miata stories from you,
welcome back!

Chris
99 BBB