Best bang for the buck in AGP graphics card?

Old May 5th 05, 12:01 AM
MadDAWG

Default Best bang for the buck in AGP graphics card?

My 9700 pro just took a dump so I guess its time to upgrade. I have been out
of the hardware watch for a while so I'm curious what's the best bang for
the buck for my system. I'm looking to spend in the $200 USD range, but I'm
not opposed to saving a few bucks either

System Info

AMD 3200 xp Socket A cpu 400 FSB
512 meg 400 DDR (running dual channel)
Turtle beach sound card.
AGP 8x graphics slot.

TIA

MadDAWG

Old May 5th 05, 01:26 AM
Mitch_A

For even cheaper you cant go wrong with a 9800pro. Heck maybe consider ebay
for even less.

ATI gave us a great card in that 9700. Way ahead of its time and the 9800
is still quite potent..

An X700 or Nvidia 6600 series for the $200 range. I would go the cheap 9800
myself though then when you upg the mobo go pci express and a new card.

For the $300 range an X800 series. Heck if youre going to spend $300 just
get a 6800gt for $350ish

I got a PNY 6800GT 256MB and the reason I went with it over the X800 was
purely the number of pipes. 12 vs. 16. I OC to 400mhz/1.1ghz which is
ultra speeds.

Mitch

Old May 5th 05, 10:19 AM
MadDAWG

"Mitch_A" > wrote in message
> For even cheaper you cant go wrong with a 9800pro. Heck maybe consider
> ebay for even less.
>
> ATI gave us a great card in that 9700. Way ahead of its time and the 9800
> is still quite potent..
>
> An X700 or Nvidia 6600 series for the $200 range. I would go the cheap
> 9800 myself though then when you upg the mobo go pci express and a new
> card.
>
> For the $300 range an X800 series. Heck if youre going to spend $300 just
> get a 6800gt for $350ish
>
> I got a PNY 6800GT 256MB and the reason I went with it over the X800 was
> purely the number of pipes. 12 vs. 16. I OC to 400mhz/1.1ghz which is
> ultra speeds.
>

> Mitch

I loved my 9700 pro. Newegg wants $170-180 for a 9800 pro. Best Buy has a
X800XL for 299 after a $20 rebate. It has the 16 pipe lines. A ew reviews I
read had it about the same performance or just a tick under a 6800 GT.

I can get a 700 pro for $200 local. How much differance between the 9800pro
and the x700 pro? That is assuming that it is a step forward, and not one of
those GF4 cards that isn't any faster than a GF2. lol

Thanks

Old May 5th 05, 02:34 PM
Plowboy

Dawg... Im same trouble with this idea, except it was My folk's PC that
somehow killed their original geforce4200... Dead as cardboard. SO, I have
the ti4600, figured it would go in theirs and I would upgrade (you know how
it is, Mom you dont need that fancy card, Heheheh). Well it turns out, for
$194 (but I do have 30 rebate comming) I got me the geforce 6600gt, read
anandtech & tomshardware they like the cards pretty much, nothing in rang
touches them. Got er at newegg (I went with the xfx because of rebate that
is all, both sites liked the gigabyte version it seems.)

But, I Wont know for 2 days, prolly.. as I just ordered it yesterday. PS
the My machine isnt terribly fast, 2.5 GHZ intell based with 512 mem (pc2700
memory it think it was). Im sure I wont get 'everthing' out of this card...

MadDAWG enlightened us with:

Old May 5th 05, 09:15 PM
MadDAWG

I went for the x800 XL. Hope the wife doesn't kill me. lol

MadDAWG

Old May 6th 05, 11:29 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Thu, 5 May 2005 16:15:39 -0400, MadDAWG wrote:

> I went for the x800 XL. Hope the wife doesn't kill me. lol

killing you will set her back more in the long run than a mere
graphics card, so she should reconsider ;-)

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old May 6th 05, 07:54 PM
MadDAWG

>> I went for the x800 XL. Hope the wife doesn't kill me. lol
>>

> killing you will set her back more in the long run than a mere
> graphics card, so she should reconsider ;-)
>
> uwe

I got lucky. She said "As much as you use it you might as well get what you
want."

MadDAWG

Old May 7th 05, 09:11 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Fri, 6 May 2005 14:54:33 -0400, MadDAWG wrote:

> I got lucky. She said "As much as you use it you might as well get what you
> want."

She enjoys having you at home in front of the box, it seems ;-)

All the best,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old May 7th 05, 02:26 PM
Kerry Grant

MadDAWG wrote:
>>>I went for the x800 XL. Hope the wife doesn't kill me. lol
>>>

>>killing you will set her back more in the long run than a mere
>>graphics card, so she should reconsider ;-)
>>
>>uwe

> I got lucky. She said "As much as you use it you might as well get what you
> want."
>
> MadDAWG

You need to give me wife training lessons!

Kerry