rFactor reinstall - braindead setup

Old December 4th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Default rFactor reinstall - braindead setup

Hi!

I just have to vent...

Only for GTR2 and rFactor I bought a shiny new PC. Installed GTR2,
copied my old installation including addons over it and had fun
with amazing frame rates...

Then I tried rFactor. I installed the SetupUpdate1150, aborted the
DirectX install, and... rfactor.exe didn't make a peep. I installed
the first, really old setup, it works. Hey, I want to drive the new
version. After eMails to Trymedia Germany and to
I had one desperate idea. Hey, maybe this stupid setup treats the
DirectX install as NOT optional (well, 100% of all game setups I know
consider it optional!).

Reinstall, don't abort DirectX install, voila, rFactor works again!!!

Holy crap!

Okay, I feel better now...

ronny
Old December 4th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I think there are about 4086 different versions of DirectX 9.0c have been
released.

I always let directx install from a game. The installer is smart enough to
know when to leave it alone.

-Larry

Old December 5th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

Ron

rFactor's 1050 version REQUIRES 9.0c July point release (iirc - could have
been sept. version). - any version before that will not work for 1050 - but
I guess you know that now.

Cheers
==--==

Old December 5th 06, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steve Whitty

DirectX wont install older files over the top of newer files, so its
perfectly safe to let the installer do its business.

cheers

steve

Old December 5th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

==--== wrote:
> Ron
>
> rFactor's 1050 version REQUIRES 9.0c July point release (iirc - could have
> been sept. version). - any version before that will not work for 1050 - but
> I guess you know that now.

I know, and my PC has it INSTALLED already. All other setups warn you if you
abort the DirectX install, but don't screw up their exe. Even the config exe
(no DirectX needed there for sure) didn't work anymore!

l8er
ronny