old sims

Old October 10th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
murph1012[_2_]

Default old sims

"jeffareid" > wrote in message
>> GPL has fixes for both those issues.

> Simple still, just install GPL 2004 Demo which has all the fixes, then
> copy the remaining tracks (all but Watkins Glen) from you GPL cd-rom.
>
> http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GPL/downloads/3239
>
> I also recommend getting the ring trainer for Nurburg.
>
> http://www.joachimblum.de/ringtrainer.htm

I'm talking about games here. When did GPL become a Game?

;-)

Old October 11th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rotten Ronny

"murph1012" > wrote in message
.. .
>Plus older computers use less power/electricity and run cooler. Why fire up
>a 650 watt computer when 200 watt will do just fine.

I bet my modern computer is more energy efficient than your old door stop
any day. If your PC is setup right then both the cpu and GPU throttle back
to a lower power mode when not running games.

Old October 11th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rotten Ronny

"pjgtech" > wrote in message
> Dosbox and DFend are your friends.....
>
> 8-)

Not if you have a USB wheel. For that you need VDMsound.

Old October 11th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
murph1012[_2_]

"Rotten Ronny" > wrote in message
. ..
> "murph1012" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>Plus older computers use less power/electricity and run cooler. Why fire
>>up a 650 watt computer when 200 watt will do just fine.

> I bet my modern computer is more energy efficient than your old door stop
> any day. If your PC is setup right then both the cpu and GPU throttle back
> to a lower power mode when not running games.

HA! What about when running games? Ya know you can play for many many hours
at a time, even days!.
Then when not playing the doorstop is off! 600 to 1000 watts is pretty much
the standard today for gaming rigs.
Watts is Watts, what is so hard to understand? BTW my Dual Xeon's will never
"Throttle Back"!

Old October 11th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rotten Ronny

"murph1012" > wrote in message
. ..
> HA! What about when running games? Ya know you can play for many many
> hours at a time, even days!.
> Then when not playing the doorstop is off! 600 to 1000 watts is pretty
> much the standard today for gaming rigs.
> Watts is Watts, what is so hard to understand? BTW my Dual Xeon's will
> never "Throttle Back"!

Watts = volts x amps. If I throttle the cpu it is using less watts and runs
cooler just like your door stop. Only it can ramp up to run the latest games
when needed. I bet you use a CRT too which uses far more watts and puts out
far more heat than my LCD.

Old October 11th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"Rotten Ronny" > wrote in
m:

> "murph1012" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> HA! What about when running games? Ya know you can play for many many
>> hours at a time, even days!.
>> Then when not playing the doorstop is off! 600 to 1000 watts is pretty
>> much the standard today for gaming rigs.
>> Watts is Watts, what is so hard to understand? BTW my Dual Xeon's will
>> never "Throttle Back"!

> Watts = volts x amps. If I throttle the cpu it is using less watts and
> runs cooler just like your door stop. Only it can ramp up to run the
> latest games when needed. I bet you use a CRT too which uses far more
> watts and puts out far more heat than my LCD.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Even *if* you go into
standby - where you can't use the computer at *all*, The power supply is
still consuming more power. A 600 watt power supply (not unreasonable
these days) wastes more at "idle" that a 250 watt PS would running full
tilt (what they had back in the 486 days). And then there's the monitor.
It has it's *own* power supply. And if you have cable/DSL there's another
drain that *doesn't* go into "sleep" mode *ever*. Aside from that, they
stopped putting turbo switches in computers when the pentium came out, so
they *always* run at full speed, unlike before.

BTW the term for power consumption is *power*. Watts is the quantity of power
used, not the noun.
Old October 12th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rotten Ronny

"APLer" > wrote in message
> You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Even *if* you go into
> standby - where you can't use the computer at *all*,

Wow, well, here's news for you dumbass. I have Vista set to hibernate and
not go into standby so it is using the same amount of power as if the PC was
turned off when it is idle. Lets see you do that on your POS Dos/Win3.1 box.
I don't care if you call it power or watts, I don't think anyone else cares
either. My state of the art PC can be made to be more energy efficient than
some 1995 era POS. 650w PSU does not mean it is using 650w either moron. It
only uses what it needs. When the cpu is throttled it uses less power than
when it is running at full power. Same goes for my video card. The video
card only ramps up to full speed when needed to.

Old October 12th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rotten Ronny

"APLer" > wrote in message
>they stopped putting turbo switches in computers when the pentium came out,
>so
> they *always* run at full speed, unlike before.

Proof you are out to lunch. You don't even know that all modern cpu and gpu
throttle their speed to conserve power except when needed to run full tilt.
****ing luddite.

Comparison of Various Sims Steve Simpson Simulators 1 May 13th 06 03:33 PM
Indycar sims? Tim Hall Simulators 13 February 25th 06 01:33 AM
F1 sims? What is it with you guys? Dave Henrie Simulators 34 May 5th 05 04:36 PM
LCD dissapointing for sims Tim Epstein Simulators 21 March 20th 05 05:21 PM
ALT TAB and Sims Neil Charlton Simulators 7 December 6th 04 05:12 PM