wiper motor rebuild/replace

Old May 9th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default wiper motor rebuild/replace

ok, im new to these forums but looks like some of you guys know whats
up with these aircooleds and its been a few years since i messed with
'em so here goes. We '68 ghia a bit back and the wife has decided to
start driving it. the wipers dont work and i cant tell if its the
motor or the switch- maybe both?

I was gonna pull the motor out the other day and according to the
idiot guide you take off the wipers and the nuts below those, then the
bolt off the bracket by the motor and the whole assembly pops right
down. these dont wanna pop down and i dont wanna break anything so i
thought i'd check. the rubber around the nubs where the wipers attach
is old and hard im thinking that its just too old, but am I missing
anything to take them out?

and secondly, is there an easy way to test the switch- i found a post
about testing the motor.

Thanks
Nick

Old May 9th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

wrote:

> ok, im new to these forums but looks like some of you guys know whats
> up with these aircooleds and its been a few years since i messed with
> 'em so here goes. We '68 ghia a bit back and the wife has decided to
> start driving it. the wipers dont work and i cant tell if its the
> motor or the switch- maybe both?
>
> I was gonna pull the motor out the other day and according to the
> idiot guide you take off the wipers and the nuts below those, then the
> bolt off the bracket by the motor and the whole assembly pops right
> down. these dont wanna pop down and i dont wanna break anything so i
> thought i'd check. the rubber around the nubs where the wipers attach
> is old and hard im thinking that its just too old, but am I missing
> anything to take them out?
>
> and secondly, is there an easy way to test the switch- i found a post
> about testing the motor.
>
> Thanks
> Nick

Yes, it's probably the hardened rubber making it difficult.

Look on this page of my web site for wiper elec info:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

I would use a tester first to see if voltage is reaching
the motor. Often a fuse is at fault. Even if the fuse "looks"
good, replace it and polish the holder contacts.

Switches rarely go bad.

Download a diagram he
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring.html

There isn't a '68 specific one, but this one is very close:
1967 1500 USA de Y

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.
Old May 11th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
pop.iprimus.com.au

My wipers on my '71 S Bug seized while it was ****ing down rain. (Always
fun). Even though they had seized, the fuse did not blow. (Got Bloody hot
though)
I pulled the whole assembly out and found the shafts that the wipers bolt to
seized in their bushing. I drove them out and re-greased all components.
the wiper now work faster and better than ever. ( The car has been in the
family for 20 years)

All the best

Nigel
'71 S Bug

ups.com...

Old May 18th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Derek Palmer

pop.iprimus.com.au wrote:
> My wipers on my '71 S Bug seized while it was ****ing down rain. (Always
> fun). Even though they had seized, the fuse did not blow. (Got Bloody hot
> though)
> I pulled the whole assembly out and found the shafts that the wipers bolt to
> seized in their bushing. I drove them out and re-greased all components.
> the wiper now work faster and better than ever. ( The car has been in the
> family for 20 years)
>
> All the best
>
> Nigel
> '71 S Bug
>
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>> ok, im new to these forums but looks like some of you guys know whats
>> up with these aircooleds and its been a few years since i messed with
>> 'em so here goes. We '68 ghia a bit back and the wife has decided to
>> start driving it. the wipers dont work and i cant tell if its the
>> motor or the switch- maybe both?
>>
>> I was gonna pull the motor out the other day and according to the
>> idiot guide you take off the wipers and the nuts below those, then the
>> bolt off the bracket by the motor and the whole assembly pops right
>> down. these dont wanna pop down and i dont wanna break anything so i
>> thought i'd check. the rubber around the nubs where the wipers attach
>> is old and hard im thinking that its just too old, but am I missing
>> anything to take them out?
>>
>> and secondly, is there an easy way to test the switch- i found a post
>> about testing the motor.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Nick

Read this and it helped me ID my problem. Have burned winding in my motor.
Now the real problem. I've gone through 3 catalogs and everyone seems to
have wiper motors up to 66 and then 68 on???
What happed to 1967?? Of course, 1967 is the one I need.

Any recommendations? Can I retrofit with later year? I don't care about
originality.
It's not much trouble as it rarely rains out here in California, but
when it does,
you really need you wiper. For now I just drive my old Austin Healey
when it rains. :-)
Would like a cheap solution.

Thanks,
Derek