a newbie to v-dubs

Old April 30th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default a newbie to v-dubs

i don't know much about cars, but I recently have gotten the itch to
get a project car and gradually fix it up.

earliest memory was driving around in my pops' vw beetle, loved that
car.

which brings me to my question: where is best place to find old vw
super beetles?

seems like everything for sale is around 3k, i'm looking for something
as more of a total to considerable restore.

any particular year of super beetle that anyone can recommend?

i have an everyday car, once this puppy's up and running it would be a
weekend car, that sort of thing.

also, about how much does it cost to fix up a vw if i want to get it
running and looking clean?

(i'm not talking about getting it prepped for VW magazine)

Thanks,
Jared

Old April 30th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Berckman

If you near Ohio and looking for a project, you can buy my 67. I am
tired of looking at it not running in the garage. Motor overheated
last summer so it needs a top end rebuild to get it running. It has 5
new tires, new generator, and new front brakes. The ball joints do not
have that many miles on them. All lights and everything works on the
car, and the battary is still good. Basically you just need to fix to
motor and you are ready to cruise. Make me an offer that I can't
refuse and it is yours. For an extra $50 you can have a tow bar.

Old May 1st 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

If you are looking for a near total to restore.... you'll be in for more
than you bargain for! You are maybe looking at at minimum just for all the
new parts... considering the motor needs overhauling and the floor pans and
heater channels are shot.... about $5- 8k and alot of work.

If it is your first aircooled project, it might be best to spend the initial
$$$ and get a good platform to start with and only have to do minor
reconditioning.

just my .02

if you think I am kidding... my 69 was a $400 junkyard special with a
trashed motor and heater channels and floor pans. 8.5 years later and
something like $6-7k later (probably more than that)... didnt get to finish
it because of Hurricane Katrina, but if have seen my web pages on all the
work, you'll see what you could be in for if ya get a clunker!

--
vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
dragenwagen

Old May 3rd 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Berckman

To late for mine. It sold yesterday after less than 24 hours on the
Samba. Guy is picking it up on Monday. It might be a while, but I
will be back in the aircooled saddle someday.

Old May 4th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> To late for mine. It sold yesterday after less than 24 hours on the
> Samba. Guy is picking it up on Monday. It might be a while, but I
> will be back in the aircooled saddle someday.

hate to hear it Bill, but congrats on a quick sale...

Old May 4th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Berckman

Thanks Chris. I hated to sell it, but life, house and wife have other
priorities at the moment. Even thought there are all of those fancy
web based forums out there, this one has always had the best people on
it. You and Jan and Speedy Jim and the rest were always willing to
give a hand with advice when needed. And I have not replied to the
other thread yet, but congrats Jan & Kidd on the new addition to your
family. Take care everyone....You guys are the best!

Old May 19th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Bill Berckman > wrote:
> Thanks Chris. I hated to sell it, but life, house and wife have
> other priorities at the moment. Even thought there are all of
> those fancy web based forums out there, this one has always had
> the best people on it. You and Jan and Speedy Jim and the rest
> were always willing to give a hand with advice when needed.

Heck of a deal Bill. :/
This is Alvin Johnston in AZ I had the sister-car to yours remember?

My '67 was given to my youngest son and he quickly went through all
the cranks I had (#1 rod bearing everytime) then prob'ly sold what
was left of it for drugs or something. :/

Since I had no engine stuff left gave away my dunebuggy and
everything else VW ...except for my VW-special tools.

Funny I'd show up here after all these years to read about you
selling yours etc and it not running and all. :/

Mine was called "the junk heap".

If I hadn't given it way, I swear it'd be uglier than ever but
still be running and of course handling good.

-----------------

Anyway, the other day a gal mentioned her 72 bug and how it wouldn't
idle etc after getting it back from the mechanic and was asking
those with clean fingernails but got no answers. Of course you
wouldn't ask the easy-going flakey-guy but the "flake" over heard
it anyway...

"does the carb have a 34 on it?"
"yes "
"yeah, heck :/ those things are either sweared-by or sweared-at"
"i'm one of those that mostly swears at'em "
"the deal is they were designed to have the lower throttle plate
closed and air for idling is through a hole in the throttle plate
and there's a large screw (jestering ~1/2" diameter) to adjust the
air... not the usual opening-slightly-of-the-throttle-plate"
"never felt like I got them to work right so tended to swear-at the
sorry suckers "

The guys with the clean fingernails changed the subject.
(had UltraBlack under mine that day

So here I am looking for information, all my books are geared toward
the older 30 and smaller carburetors. I'd like to reveiw 34's
before messing with it.

Anybody got a website to recommend or something?

Alvin in AZ
Old May 20th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

ALVIN!!!

Welcome back!

Jan
Old May 21st 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Jan > wrote:
> ALVIN!!!
> Welcome back!
> Jan

Cool thanks Jan and Jim!

I read the 34 carb stuff last night and it was exactly what I was
looking for. The other stuff they want you to do like adjusting
the valves, was already planned, BTW.

Too bad about Bill's '67, huh? :/
At least it didn't get stolen?

Alvin in AZ

Repost for new a.b.p.a. members: 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle 4-Door Station Wagon w-Mod Chevy Crate Motor Dubs Frost Green (2005 WW@WD PROC)DSCN8229.jpg 285847 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 February 26th 07 11:26 AM
tell a newbie what to look for. Steve Jeep 5 September 8th 05 07:19 PM
newbie crzybus VW air cooled 29 May 2nd 05 12:13 PM
newbie just got his first Bug Animal VW air cooled 9 January 19th 05 05:11 AM
'Newbie' to this NG -- any FAQ ? R. Asby Dragon 4x4 2 May 25th 04 04:16 AM