Manual locking hubs?

Old December 17th 05, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Manual locking hubs?

Hi,

Did Jeeps (CJ or YJ) ever have manually locking hubs or was that just a Ford
thing?
Also, what year and / or models do not have the shift-on-the-fly four wheel
drive where you have to stop the vehicle to engage it? I don't see that as a
huge issue, but I was just curious....

Thanks,
Dan Hoskin

Old December 17th 05, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

They stopped the manual hubs with the CJ's in 86. YJ's have a vacuum
slidelock on the axle to latch the front wheels in. TJ's are just on
all the time I believe.

It would have to be really old not to have shift on the fly into 4 high
if that even existed....

All the ones I have heard of are shift on the fly into 4H at any legal
speed. You need to be just crawling to shift into 4 low.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old December 17th 05, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

CJs have them. YJs have vacuum operated hubs that some people convert to
manual hubs. All Jeep models can shift into 4WD if the hubs are locked, OR
if they have vacuum assisted locking mechanisms. I leave my CJ's hubs locked
pretty much all of the time, and I can shift into 4WD anytime I want to.

Old December 17th 05, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> They stopped the manual hubs with the CJ's in 86. YJ's have a vacuum
> slidelock on the axle to latch the front wheels in. TJ's are just on
> all the time I believe.

You believe correctly.

Old December 18th 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Is there any reason not to leave the hubs locked al the time?

DH

news

Old December 18th 05, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

3-4 mpg and less wear on parts....

Old December 18th 05, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

None that I can think of. The front axle will cause some loss of fuel
mileage, and there is a camp that says the gears in the front diff will wear
out sooner if the hubs are locked. These two reasons are good enough to keep
the hubs unlocked for most of your daily driving, but if you specifically
plan of going offroading in 4WD, lock the hubs at home, or lock the hubs at
the gas station when you fill up, and take off.

PS
Keep in mind that models before the CJ did not have locking hubs, and the TJ
hasn't got locking hubs. These models had/have the hubs locked constantly,
just like what you get in the CJ when you manually lock the hubs.

Old December 18th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

3-4 mpg? I sure didn't pick up 3-4 mpg in my TJ when I installed manual
hubs and started running with unlocked hubs!

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old December 18th 05, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You know it is likely a bit less than that come to think of it. When I
lock the hubs it is always bad weather so my driving style is usually
different or more uneven because of wind which could account for a mpg
ot 2, but it is always less on mine with locked hubs.

Mike

Old December 18th 05, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Mike,
My Bronco handles many times better unlocked! We are supposed to
lock them for a hundred miles ever so often to make sure they
lubricated.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Mike Romain wrote:

> You know it is likely a bit less than that come to think of it. When I
> lock the hubs it is always bad weather so my driving style is usually
> different or more uneven because of wind which could account for a mpg
> ot 2, but it is always less on mine with locked hubs.
>
> Mike

Automatic Locking Hubs andrecastertroy Ford Explorer 1 December 12th 05 06:43 PM
ford manual hubs lese 4x4 0 July 7th 05 01:01 AM
ford manual hubs lese 4x4 0 July 7th 05 12:43 AM
f350 ford auto locking hubs dan 4x4 7 January 8th 05 03:19 PM
Opinion? Superwinch Manual Locking hubs blokemn 4x4 0 December 27th 04 07:11 PM