My 72 SB lives again! Now the gen light is acting up.

Old August 18th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
barnhart_pinball[_2_]

Default My 72 SB lives again! Now the gen light is acting up.

Thanks to Chris (Halatos) for the great guide on adjusting valves. I always
forget how sensative these little buggers are...one valve was really loose,
some were loose by a bit and a couple were too tight. Makes for a crappy
running little car for sure. Runs strong now!

Now since I reinstalled the engine, the gen light acts odd. Normally, the
light comes on when switched on, then goes out when it starts/runs. Well,
now it's doing the opposite. It's off when the car is switched on, then
comes on when it starts/runs.

Did I hook up the generator backwards?

Mitch

--
Looking for a Sharpshooter backglass in good shape.
Old August 18th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> Now since I reinstalled the engine, the gen light acts odd. Normally, the
> light comes on when switched on, then goes out when it starts/runs. Well,
> now it's doing the opposite. It's off when the car is switched on, then
> comes on when it starts/runs.
>
> Did I hook up the generator backwards?

According to the bentley, DF should be a black wire hooked to the DF
terminal at the regulator, and D+ at the generator should be a red/
black wire hooked to D+ at the regulator. In addition, D-, the smaller
brown wire needs to be hooked to regulator ground. There may also be
another smaller lead present at either end of the D+ lead for the
diagnostic connector on the firewall. It looks like Pin 6 and Pin 14
of the diag connector are hooked to the D+ lead.

If your wiring has been replaced with a non-standard color and you are
not certain that it is wired correctly, I would suggest first pulling
the battery out of the circuit, then disconnect both ends of D+ and DF
(i.e. pull the leads off at the regulator and the generator), and then
ground ONE side, either D+ or DF inside the car and then use your
meter to see which wire has continuity to ground at the end of the
wires in the engine bay. At least that way you will know for certain
which wire is going where, and that the wire is intact.

As for 'will hooking the wires up backwards cause my symptoms', I do
not know. Could be backwards, could be a broken wire for all we
know....

Good luck with it.

Chris
Old August 18th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

barnhart_pinball wrote:
> Thanks to Chris (Halatos) for the great guide on adjusting valves. I always
> forget how sensative these little buggers are...one valve was really loose,
> some were loose by a bit and a couple were too tight. Makes for a crappy
> running little car for sure. Runs strong now!
>
> Now since I reinstalled the engine, the gen light acts odd. Normally, the
> light comes on when switched on, then goes out when it starts/runs. Well,
> now it's doing the opposite. It's off when the car is switched on, then
> comes on when it starts/runs.
>
> Did I hook up the generator backwards?
>
> Mitch

Wiring like so:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_reg.jpg

Do the generator tests shown on my web site:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm

Is it possible that you have an alternator, not a generator?

Was the battery removed? Check that it is installed with
correct polarity: Neg post grounded.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old August 19th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
barnhart_pinball[_2_]

Speedy Jim > wrote in
:

> Wiring like so:
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_reg.jpg
>
> Do the generator tests shown on my web site:
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm
>

> Is it possible that you have an alternator, not a generator?
>
> Was the battery removed? Check that it is installed with
> correct polarity: Neg post grounded.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

It's the old generator, although if the gen has bit it - then I'm
converting to an alternator. The battery just had the + post disconnected
so I didn't flip them.

I checked the wiring according to your diagram - I have that right. So,
I'll try your tests later this week. The gen is of unknown vintage, so it
could be shot. Wouldn't surprise me. I'll record my findings later.

Shame as I have the SB really running good now...

--
Looking for a Sharpshooter backglass in good shape.
Old August 23rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Aug 17, 11:44*pm, "barnhart_pinball" >
wrote:
> Now since I reinstalled the engine, the gen light acts odd. Normally, the
> light comes on when switched on, then goes out when it starts/runs. Well,
> now it's doing the opposite. It's off when the car is switched on, then
> comes on when it starts/runs.

I just read this for the second or third time and realized what you
are saying here. According to the Muir book, "if the red light should
ever stay on when the ignition key has been shut off, then action is
indicated right now!". He goes on to warn that continuing to drive
the car will make your generator act like a motor and effectively
destroy your battery. This problem (so he says) is cause by a
"generator being shot". But then if this worked fine before being
pulled, and doesn't work at all after reinstalling it -- it's more
than likely an electrical "oopsie" (otherwise known as "a Homer"). I
suppose because the generator becomes polarized, that your polarity
might be reversed from the wiring having been confused at some point.
It only takes a few seconds, right?

Of course, I consider Speedy Jim here are the "second incarnation" or
the "living Muir" so I would be sure to do whatever he recommends on
this one. ;-)

-Steve Ballantyne
68' Bug

2001 Caravan airbag light acting up Rick Chrysler 30 August 27th 06 08:50 PM
TJ acting up Jerry Slaughter Jeep 16 July 18th 06 01:15 AM
2002 JGC AC Fan Acting Up Michael Rosen Chrysler 0 October 12th 05 03:55 AM
Heater acting up Patrick Jeep 10 December 25th 04 05:57 PM