latest Saturn Horror Story

Old April 20th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default latest Saturn Horror Story

Saturn of Grand Rapids.

After taking my 2004 L300 Saturn into Saturn of GR for an oil change
and tire rotation, I was told that my front craddle bushings were
separating and had to be replaced

(after only 37,400 miles). I was told by the Service Advisor that this
was a common occurrence, due to driving over bad roads. I have owned 3
other Saturns prior to this one and have never had to replace
suspension bushings on any of them (over 100K miles on each car). The
driving I do is 90% freeway/interstate; I don't drive over back
country, washboard roads. The regular 36,000 mile Saturn warranty had
just expired but the problem had to have started long before this and
should have been fully covered under the 36K warranty. I was told I
would have to pay the $100 deductible under my extended warranty, for
which I paid about $1,500 to cover 100K miles. These people wouldn't
consider absorbing the deductible themselves and I told them that this
doesn't speak well for Saturn reliabilty and if a car starts falling
apart after only 37K miles, I don't think I will buy another Saturn.
My first 3 were pretty good cars but the later models are just plain
junk, in my opinion and Saturn of GR isn't any better than most other
U.S. car dealerships (liars and crooks). "Saturn...a different kind of
car company." Yeah...right!

STEVE ALLEN

Don't expect to receive any necessary information about your car from
Saturn of Grand Rapids. The only thing I ever received from them were
so-called "Great Offers" to buy another lemon from them!

Old April 22nd 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:46:26 -0700, misterfact took a five-minute break
from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

<bull**** drivel snipped>

> My first 3 were pretty good cars but the later

models are just plain
> junk, in my opinion and Saturn of GR isn't any better than most other
> U.S. car dealerships (liars and crooks). "Saturn...a different kind of
> car company." Yeah...right!

Boy, sucks to be you, Stevie!

Old April 22nd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I biught an SL in 1996. I chose the American make over a Honda or
Toyota because Consumer Reports rated the Saturn's reliabilty on par
with the best of Japan. CR gave it poor marks for engine noise and
too large turning circle, but I chose it anyways to support an
American company and US workers.

The car was and is still good. Why Saturn couldn't keep it up and
compete with the Japanese I don't know, but I would never buy one of
the new models.
Why? When you can go buy a Japanese car that will give you far better
reliability and cost less to operate in the long run.

When I pull into the Saturn dealer for parts in my trusty old SL,
the salesmen pounce on me to see if I want to but a new one, and I
always tell them "You guys don't make a good car anymore, so I'll have
to keep driving this one"

My wife has owned two Dodge minivans in the last decade and both
fell apart at the 80-100K mile mark. A/C leaks, oil leaks, tranny
leaks, electrical problems, power windows falling out, etc.

The Grand Caravan she just got rid of had so much crap wrong with it
that I refused to fix it, and we traded it in on a Toyota Sienna van.

I will never, ever again buy a car that is not as reliable at a
Japanese car.

It looked like Saturn was going to do it, but they f**k'd it up.

Larry

Old April 23rd 06, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default latest troll Horror Story

Sigh... Here we go again with more aimless rants that never solve a
thing...

In article >, grapent1
@cox.net says...
> Why? When you can go buy a Japanese car that will give you far better
> reliability and cost less to operate in the long run.

Opinions dont equal facts despite what some may use as their handle. My
"american made" cars "issues" have cost me far less than just one
"timing belt" serviced on a Japanese make with lesser miles.

> When I pull into the Saturn dealer for parts in my trusty old SL,
> the salesmen pounce on me to see if I want to but a new one, and I
> always tell them "You guys don't make a good car anymore, so I'll have
> to keep driving this one"

WOW a dealer trying to sell a car (OMG this is news to me) only to be
countered with an opinion... Some other peoples opinions on SL's is that
they're sh**. Do you take their word for it?

> My wife has owned two Dodge minivans in the last decade and both
> fell apart at the 80-100K mile mark. A/C leaks, oil leaks, tranny
> leaks, electrical problems, power windows falling out, etc.

I've seen imports with far worse, your point is?

e.g. Most Honda's I have worked on have more oil coating the undersides
than they have lubricating the engines. I guess no one should buy Honda
anymore based on that.

This thread was started by the worlds biggest and most disturbed troll.
I hope you enjoyed playing into his delusions.

Old April 23rd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:11:54 GMT, blah blah > wrote:

>In article >, grapent1
says...
>> Why? When you can go buy a Japanese car that will give you far better
>> reliability and cost less to operate in the long run.

>Opinions dont equal facts despite what some may use as their handle. My
>"american made" cars "issues" have cost me far less than just one
>"timing belt" serviced on a Japanese make with lesser miles.

>> When I pull into the Saturn dealer for parts in my trusty old SL,
>> the salesmen pounce on me to see if I want to but a new one, and I
>> always tell them "You guys don't make a good car anymore, so I'll have
>> to keep driving this one"

>WOW a dealer trying to sell a car (OMG this is news to me) only to be
>countered with an opinion... Some other peoples opinions on SL's is that
>they're sh**. Do you take their word for it?

Thanks for keeping it civil in your reply!!!!

I'd heard that some Saturns like mine had bad rings and burned oil
and I'd have been ****ed if that happened to mine. All I can base my
opinion on is cars that I've owned and the experience of people I
know.

I think the Consumer Reports reliability data is a large sample and
is the best thing the average person can use to pick a car with a good
chance of lasting. The proved it to me - they say to steer clear of a
used Dodge minivan or get ready to spend money on repairs. They said
my '96 SL should be reliable and it was. They said Chrysler K-cars
were junk and they were.

>> My wife has owned two Dodge minivans in the last decade and both
>> fell apart at the 80-100K mile mark. A/C leaks, oil leaks, tranny
>> leaks, electrical problems, power windows falling out, etc.

>I've seen imports with far worse, your point is?

Your chances of getting a "bad" Dodge van are far greater than
getting a Toyota "lemon"

>e.g. Most Honda's I have worked on have more oil coating the undersides
>than they have lubricating the engines. I guess no one should buy Honda
>anymore based on that.

Ok, you have personal experience. Do you work in a busy shop as a
mechanic? I thought Hondas were supposed to be pretty tight. On
average.

My wife just bought a new Toyota van. I would have bought a Saturn
Relay except for the fact that Consumer Reports rated the Relay poor
in reliability, and the Toyota above average. I'm willing to bet in
10 years the Toyota will still be diving good and will not be costing
a bunch for repairs. If I bought the Relay, I'd probably be looking to
get rid of it by then.

And I'm not saying all US cars are bad and all Japanese are good.
I would not have bought a Nissan Van because CR rated them poor on
reliability. I chose the Toyota over the Honda because the Honda had
average reliability score, cost a bit more, and my wife liked the
Toyota better. The Ford/Mercury vans were rated average too.

CR recommended to buy the Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and Ford/Mercury
vans..

I did not say I would not buy an American car, but it will have to be
above average reliability because I like to keep them for 10-12 years.

The Ion is rated average reliability, which at least is not bad, but
the Toyota Corolla is rated excellent and has better crash protection,
so today if I was going to replace the old SL ( which was rated above
average in reliability when I bought it) I'd go Toyota.

Old April 24th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I bought my daughter a used 97 SC2 recently and it has been a good car
and uses no oil and get great MPG but I think that new Saturns are not
as tuff as the old ones were. It is kinda like GM treid to make them
really good for a while to build a reputation and then quit on them
around 2000 and started to cut corners on them which hurt reliablity.
The original automatic used up to 2000 was a sturdy unit and likely
not cheap to use and later ones are not as impressive in design and
heft and surely cost less to use too..
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old April 24th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In article >, grapent1
@cox.net says...

> Your chances of getting a "bad" Dodge van are far greater than
> getting a Toyota "lemon"

Chrysler changes their designs far to often to work bugs out of
anything. They're Cummings powered Dodge trucks are the only thing I
like. I think the Hemi's are almost as good and clean on the layout as
GM's current small blocks except for having twice the spark plugs...

> >e.g. Most Honda's I have worked on have more oil coating the undersides
> >than they have lubricating the engines. I guess no one should buy Honda
> >anymore based on that.

> Ok, you have personal experience. Do you work in a busy shop as a
> mechanic? I thought Hondas were supposed to be pretty tight. On
> average.

Far to many mated aluminum surfaces to stay sealed. I think they started
using stop leak in the oil from the factory now.

> My wife just bought a new Toyota van. I would have bought a Saturn
> Relay except for the fact that Consumer Reports rated the Relay poor
> in reliability, and the Toyota above average. I'm willing to bet in
> 10 years the Toyota will still be diving good and will not be costing
> a bunch for repairs. If I bought the Relay, I'd probably be looking to
> get rid of it by then.

I havent seen a minivan by anyone that I ever liked. If GM made the new
minivans with the inline 5 found in the Colorado and also made it RWD
they would have a winner IMO. Right now the 4cyl Vue is the only thing I
like in the SUV market and is as close to a minivan as I would get.

> And I'm not saying all US cars are bad and all Japanese are good.
> I would not have bought a Nissan Van because CR rated them poor on
> reliability. I chose the Toyota over the Honda because the Honda had
> average reliability score, cost a bit more, and my wife liked the
> Toyota better. The Ford/Mercury vans were rated average too.

As for asian imports, "if" I "had" to own one, Toyota and Honda would be
the only 2 nameplates I'd touch. Thankfully I dont have to touch them.

> CR recommended to buy the Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and Ford/Mercury
> vans..
>
> I did not say I would not buy an American car, but it will have to be
> above average reliability because I like to keep them for 10-12 years.

My car is 8 years old and I'll probably have it for 10 more years if gas
doesnt goto 4.00 a gallon here. If gas does go sky high I'll buy a Fiero
or a SW2... (GM must be wondering why I'm not in the market for a new
car, the old one's fine thank you very much.)

> The Ion is rated average reliability, which at least is not bad, but
> the Toyota Corolla is rated excellent and has better crash protection,
> so today if I was going to replace the old SL ( which was rated above
> average in reliability when I bought it) I'd go Toyota.

The closest thing to that class I would consider today is a 4cyl Malibu.
There is a lot of crap from GM I wouldnt get so its not a total "love
affair". However to me there is far more crap out there not made by GM.
Not much longer and there wont be any V6 offered by GM that I will like
as the 3800 will come to an end...

Old April 24th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:30:17 GMT, blah blah > wrote:

>Far to many mated aluminum surfaces to stay sealed. I think they started
>using stop leak in the oil from the factory now.

You honestly believe this??? I guess they must use "stop leak) in
aircraft piston engine that they have built since 30's that are
basically all aluminum or magnesium alloy. There is not challanges to
mating aluminum to aluminum. It is when you mate it to a surface of a
differnt materail and expansion rate that you have to "adjust" things
a bit sometimes and also consider galvanic reactivety bewteen
disimular metals.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old April 24th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Has anyone compared the price of an extended warranty for Saturns
compared to other cars?

Certainly if something is more likely to go wrong with Saturns
compared to say, Hondas or Toyotas- the cost of the Saturn extended
warranty ought to be higher.

I would think that cost of an extended warranty for a car is a good
indication of its quality- the lower the cost, the better the quality.

Old April 25th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> You honestly believe <snip>

I do machining on the side, I dont need a lecture on the fitting and
expansion characteristics of metal. Appearently I didnt word that part
of my post well enough because you didnt get the gist of what I was
talking about... Honda has more seals and more complex sealing surfaces
with fewer bolts holding some of them down... Just think of the
additional seals needed to go from a timing chain design to a timing
belt design. Things like that render them more prone to leaking
somewhere. I couldn't tell from your post but it seems you also have a
hard time believing factories dont install stop leak additives during
manufacturing these days? You find this hard to believe why? See TSB 01-
009 for even more fun honda leaks...