CJ8 transmission lubrication

Old March 28th 04, 09:09 AM
Jerry Bransford

You can buy Redline's MTL or MT-90 GL-3 gear lube at www.summitracing.com/
or www.redlineoil.com/ Summit Racing is a bit cheaper.

GL-3 (or any gear lube) is compatible with ATF so no worries about the tiny
amount of residual ATF inside your transmission after you've drained it.

Jerry
--
Jerry Bransford
To email, remove 'me' from my email address

> wrote in message
news
> Jerry,
>
> As always, I appreciate your advice.
>
> I've learned to trust what you say for quite a while.
>
> Although I haven't been specifically looking for it, I don't remember
> seeing either Redline or GL-3 gear lube in local auto parts stores.
> Do you have any suggestions as to who might carry this?
>
> And, importantly, if I decide to switch now (from the Mobil1 ATF to
> GL-3), can I just go ahead and put the gear lube into the transmission
> with what remains of the ATF. (As I'm sure you know, the fill/drain
> hole is 1/2 way up the tranny case. I siphoned out what I could this
> evening but I'm sure it is not completely empty.)
>
> Can I add GL-3, run it for a while (days or weeks or whatever) and
> then do several more cycles like this until the ATF has been replaced
> by the GL-3??
>
> Mike
>
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:04:22 -0800, "Jerry Bransford"
> > wrote:
>
> >While ATF was in fact the recommended choice for some manual

transmissions
> >for several years, ATF is no longer recommended by those manufacturers,

even
> >if it was at one time. It was later discovered that ATF does not have
> >sufficient shear-strength to protect the gears, only a true gear lube

does.
> >Some manuals, like Chilton's, still erroneously recommend ATF because

they
> >are based on manuals from the era when ATF was still being recommended.
> >They tried to switch to ATF in their desire to standardize on one

lubricant
> >suitable for both autos and manual trannies, but the experiment failed

when
> >they figured out ATF was not protecting manual transmission gears
> >sufficiently.
> >
> >Use a GL-3 or GL-3 gear lube with a suggested viscosity of 75W-90. Gear
> >lubes like Mobil-1's 75W-90 or 70W-90 are GL-5 which are not recommended

for
> >a manual tranny, they are only suitable for differentials. Any GL-5

should
> >be avoided as it is harmful over the long-term to the soft yellow metals
> >like brass used to make gear synchronizers, though damage won't happen in
> >the short term. Redline's MTL is a good GL-3 gear lube that has a

viscosity

Old March 28th 04, 09:11 AM
Jerry Bransford

"Joseph Myers" > wrote in message
> I've used mobil 1 in all 4 of my Jeeps 55,74,84, & 85, sence it has
> been on the market, never had a problem. It has more shear strength
> than any thing else.

But your synchros would be happier if you didn't use Mobil-1 since Mobil-1
is a GL-5 gear lube and most GL-5 gear lubes, including Mobil-1's, are harsh
on the metals used to make the the synchronizers. A GL-3 or GL-4 is much
better for your synchros and transmission. Mobil-1's gear lube is GL-5
because it's intended for hypoid-cut gears like are used inside
differentials.

Jerry

Old March 28th 04, 09:11 AM
Jerry Bransford

Old March 28th 04, 02:25 PM
Rich Pierson

Just one comment, you will not find a 'GL-3' only lube anywhere but at
the dealer for about $17 a quart. They sell it for the AX-15's which
require a GL-3 ONLY lube. That said I have been running Mobil-1 75/90 in
my 98XJ's 5 speed for the last 160,000+ miles. I changed mainly because
the stock oil was just too cold in the winter and it took forever to be
able to shift into second, the mobil solved that problem. A lube that is
listed as GL-2, GL-3, GL-4, GL-5 is not GL-3, the GL-3 spec calls for 0
sulphur content, all the other GL's require sulphur so unles it is some
kind of a smart oil can that recognizes GL-3 trannies and witholds the
sulphur the lable is a deceptive label.
All the Asins I've run across in other cars and trucks require GL-3
also...
I don't think you can really hurt anything buy using Mobil-1, the only
thing that I've run into that did not like it was my 20yo wheel horse
lawn tractor, but boy it sure did clean it out some...

wrote in
news

Old March 28th 04, 02:25 PM
Rich Pierson

Old March 28th 04, 03:03 PM
Mike Romain

First look closely at the bottom center of the tranny. You will find
the drain plug there. The fill plug is only for filling unless you
really like the taste of old gear oil.....

Any left isn't an issue then, they are ok to mix a bit, I asked my local
Jeep dealer about it. The commented I could run ATF, but only to do it
in the real cold 'if' I have trouble shifting. I don't so I didn't.

I am in Canada and I couldn't find any regular gear oil without the
'safe for limited slip' moniker on it. This stuff will not work for
long. My syncros went nuts with it.

So I ended up buying a semi-synthetic that didn't mention limited slips.

As Jerry mentioned , some did call for ATF, but by 85 they realized it
didn't work so they went back to calling for gear oil in the 85 and 86
owners manuals.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 28th 04, 03:03 PM
Mike Romain

Old March 29th 04, 12:11 AM
Jumpin' Jiminy

I use ATF in my T5 because it lets me shift easily when its -30
If I lived down south then I'd use GL-3 also.

JJ
85 CJ7