1993 Caravan OH console on a '92...?

Old April 10th 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default 1993 Caravan OH console on a '92...?

I bought a '93 OH console with the digital display but the guy I bought
the van from cut the harness! I could go to a bone yard and try to find
one; other than that is there any way to get a diagram of the wiring so I
can try to cob one together?

I already Googled. Hopefully someone has some first-hand info...?

Old April 10th 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> I bought a '93 OH console with the digital display but the guy I bought
> the van from cut the harness! I could go to a bone yard and try to find
> one; other than that is there any way to get a diagram of the wiring so I
> can try to cob one together?
>
> I already Googled. Hopefully someone has some first-hand info...?

You're probably looking for something free, but if you were willing to
spend $25 bucks for it, you could get a 1 year subscription to
www.alldata.com, which would include the factory schematics specific to
the year and vehicle.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 10th 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 22:21:59 -0400, Bill Putney wrote:

> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>> I bought a '93 OH console with the digital display but the guy I bought
>> the van from cut the harness! I could go to a bone yard and try to find
>> one; other than that is there any way to get a diagram of the wiring so
>> I can try to cob one together?
>>
>> I already Googled. Hopefully someone has some first-hand info...?

> You're probably looking for something free, but if you were willing to
> spend $25 bucks for it, you could get a 1 year subscription to
> www.alldata.com, which would include the factory schematics specific to
> the year and vehicle.

I'm always looking for something for free. Isn't that what the Internet,
and especially the groups for? To pick brains?

Other than that, will the $25 cover only ONE vehicle, or the 4 I have on
the road currently?

Old April 10th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 22:21:59 -0400, Bill Putney wrote:
>
>> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>>> I bought a '93 OH console with the digital display but the guy I bought
>>> the van from cut the harness! I could go to a bone yard and try to find
>>> one; other than that is there any way to get a diagram of the wiring so
>>> I can try to cob one together?
>>>
>>> I already Googled. Hopefully someone has some first-hand info...?

>> You're probably looking for something free, but if you were willing to
>> spend $25 bucks for it, you could get a 1 year subscription to
>> www.alldata.com, which would include the factory schematics specific to
>> the year and vehicle.

> I'm always looking for something for free. Isn't that what the Internet,
> and especially the groups for? To pick brains?
>
> Other than that, will the $25 cover only ONE vehicle, or the 4 I have on
> the road currently?

Price drops for multiple vehicles and for multiple years. The best
things about the subscription is that you do get the complete factory
schematics (not "typical" multi-year, multi-platform schematics found in
aftermarket manuals) and the TSB's that are applicable to that vehicle.
The procedural repair info. is generally right out of the FSM, but is
spotty - if you're lucky the info. you need is there, if unlucky, that
particular info. was left out.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 10th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill[_33_]

> I'm always looking for something for free. Isn't that what the Internet,
> and especially the groups for? To pick brains?
>
> Other than that, will the $25 cover only ONE vehicle, or the 4 I have on
> the road currently?

You get what you pay for! The printed factory service manual set of books
costs around $150. The same factory information which alldata has. FYI both
would have *complete* wiring diagrams of the entire vehicle.

I've been working in the electrical business all my life [very experienced].
I would not even try to install that console without the factory wiring
diagrams. (That is unless it was something simple like just a light and just
needed power for the light.)

Old April 10th 10, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Scott Dorsey

Bill Putney > wrote:
>Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>>
>> Other than that, will the $25 cover only ONE vehicle, or the 4 I have on
>> the road currently?

>Price drops for multiple vehicles and for multiple years. The best
>things about the subscription is that you do get the complete factory
>schematics (not "typical" multi-year, multi-platform schematics found in
>aftermarket manuals) and the TSB's that are applicable to that vehicle.
> The procedural repair info. is generally right out of the FSM, but is
>spotty - if you're lucky the info. you need is there, if unlucky, that
>particular info. was left out.

In some ways the data is less complete than what is in the FSM, but it
is always updated. That's a big deal on a new car where bugs are still
being found, it's a total non-issue on a 25-year-old car where all the
common problems were found long ago.

But it is a LOT less expensive than the FSM. I don't think it's a real
substitute for having the real shop manual but it's a tiny fraction of
the cost.

On the other hand, you can sometimes get the shop manuals for older cars
inexpensively on Ebay... I think I paid $25 for the electrical volume for
my E28 and then $50 for the engine volume.
--scott
Old April 10th 10, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 10:22:45 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Bill Putney > wrote:
>>Hachiroku ハチãƒ*ク wrote:
>>>
>>> Other than that, will the $25 cover only ONE vehicle, or the 4 I have
>>> on the road currently?

>>Price drops for multiple vehicles and for multiple years. The best
>>things about the subscription is that you do get the complete factory
>>schematics (not "typical" multi-year, multi-platform schematics found in
>>aftermarket manuals) and the TSB's that are applicable to that vehicle.
>> The procedural repair info. is generally right out of the FSM, but is
>>spotty - if you're lucky the info. you need is there, if unlucky, that
>>particular info. was left out.

> In some ways the data is less complete than what is in the FSM, but it is
> always updated. That's a big deal on a new car where bugs are still being
> found, it's a total non-issue on a 25-year-old car where all the common
> problems were found long ago.
>
> But it is a LOT less expensive than the FSM. I don't think it's a real
> substitute for having the real shop manual but it's a tiny fraction of the
> cost.
>
> On the other hand, you can sometimes get the shop manuals for older cars
> inexpensively on Ebay... I think I paid $25 for the electrical volume for
> my E28 and then $50 for the engine volume. --scott

Thanks for the advice, guys but we're talking an 18 year old vehicle I
paid $150 for on eBay with 240,000 miles. If it had only 125,000 like my
last one I might invest a little more money in it; while it runs well it's
expected life at this point is a big question mark.

Old April 10th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve W.[_6_]

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, guys but we're talking an 18 year old vehicle I
> paid $150 for on eBay with 240,000 miles. If it had only 125,000 like my
> last one I might invest a little more money in it; while it runs well it's
> expected life at this point is a big question mark.

Drop me a note and I'll see what I can do to help.
remove NOT from the address and mention the group.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Old April 10th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Bill wrote:
>> I'm always looking for something for free. Isn't that what the Internet,
>> and especially the groups for? To pick brains?
>>
>> Other than that, will the $25 cover only ONE vehicle, or the 4 I have on
>> the road currently?
>>

> You get what you pay for! The printed factory service manual set of books
> costs around $150. The same factory information which alldata has. FYI both
> would have *complete* wiring diagrams of the entire vehicle.

Yes - to be clear as I said, schematics are complete, the rest of the
info. is very spotty/incomplete.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 10th 10, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Bill Putney > wrote:
>> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>>> Other than that, will the $25 cover only ONE vehicle, or the 4 I have on
>>> the road currently?

>> Price drops for multiple vehicles and for multiple years. The best
>> things about the subscription is that you do get the complete factory
>> schematics (not "typical" multi-year, multi-platform schematics found in
>> aftermarket manuals) and the TSB's that are applicable to that vehicle.
>> The procedural repair info. is generally right out of the FSM, but is
>> spotty - if you're lucky the info. you need is there, if unlucky, that
>> particular info. was left out.

> In some ways the data is less complete than what is in the FSM, but it
> is always updated. That's a big deal on a new car where bugs are still
> being found, it's a total non-issue on a 25-year-old car where all the
> common problems were found long ago.
>
> But it is a LOT less expensive than the FSM. I don't think it's a real
> substitute for having the real shop manual but it's a tiny fraction of
> the cost.
>
> On the other hand, you can sometimes get the shop manuals for older cars
> inexpensively on Ebay... I think I paid $25 for the electrical volume for
> my E28 and then $50 for the engine volume.
> --scott

I agree with everything you said, though I would just emphasize more
that the information contained in it is *far* *from* complete (other
than the schematics, which are complete).

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')