for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Old April 4th 10, 07:16 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" > wrote
>>
>> I had a Chrysler Laser which was notorious for turbocharger problems. The
>> oil would bake in the turbocharger after the engine was turned off, and
>> clog it up with varnish. I used mostly synthetic oil in the thing for
>> years and never had a turbocharger problem.

>One of the problems in ****ing contests is that each participant looks at
>things from their own perspective. You bring up a good point there of an
>exception to most rules. Turbo engines need the best oils for the high
>temperatures. Exceptions also apply to the guy that travels a mile to work
>in -40 temperatures and the guy that commutes 90 miles across Death Valley.

Yup.

Clearly the Toyotas that sludged up were also an exception to the rule.
The question, then, is why. If it's a flow rate and temperature issue,
synthetic is a solution, just as it was in the turbo that had a flow rate
and temperature issue. If it's something else, maybe it's not.
--scott
Old April 4th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Bob Jones

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> On 04/04/2010 08:33 AM, Bob Jones wrote:

>>> you "disagree" with the facts?????? where can we find your contrary
>>> research published?
>>>

>> I don't need to do any research. Honda has already done that.

> then you have a reading comprehension problem. because honda have indeed
> done plenty of research and carefully written it into your owners manual,
> but you evidently don't seem to understand what they've said.

From someone who has never even read the manual? I got to hand it to you.

>> If you want to
>> come up with your own, knock yourself out.

> based on oil analysis, i have this:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/4291579733/

Send it to Honda. May be they will rewrite the manual based on your
findings. If the manual says changing oil every 20k miles, I will be the
first one to follow.

Old April 4th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/04/2010 11:18 AM, Bob Jones wrote:
> "jim > wrote in message
> t...

>>> I don't need to do any research. Honda has already done that.

>> then you have a reading comprehension problem. because honda have indeed
>> done plenty of research and carefully written it into your owners manual,
>> but you evidently don't seem to understand what they've said.
>>

> From someone who has never even read the manual? I got to hand it to you.

wow dude - that's chutzpah!

>>> If you want to
>>> come up with your own, knock yourself out.

>> based on oil analysis, i have this:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/4291579733/
>>

> Send it to Honda. May be they will rewrite the manual based on your
> findings. If the manual says changing oil every 20k miles, I will be the
> first one to follow.

eat your own dog food. do oil analysis. then you won't need to "follow".

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 4th 10, 07:46 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 04/04/10 12:01, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>>
>> So you are trying to say that the problematic Toyotas would not have
>> sludged if they had been using synthetic oils? I doubt you have any
>> proof at all for that statement.

> Well, if the problem was caused by low flow and high temperatures causing
> oil breakdown, a synthetic oil with a higher breakdown temperature would
> seem to help.
>
> I had a Chrysler Laser which was notorious for turbocharger problems. The
> oil would bake in the turbocharger after the engine was turned off, and
> clog it up with varnish.

Sounds like a candidate for an electric fan to run after the engine was
shut off.
Old April 4th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 04/03/10 12:36, jim beam wrote:
> On 04/02/2010 12:06 AM, Tony Harding wrote:

>>> <fixed top posting>

>>> like i said - dilution.

>> Dilution with what? <serious question, not trying to be snarky>

> fresh oil. even 90% fresh oil [a low dilution rate] is indistinguishable
> in performance from 100%.

Oh, that, hadn't occurred to me. I was puzzled as what you werediluting
the oil with - fuel? Water? Thanks for the feedback.
Old April 4th 10, 08:22 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Bill Putney

Tony Harding wrote:
> On 04/04/10 12:01, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> So you are trying to say that the problematic Toyotas would not have
>>> sludged if they had been using synthetic oils? I doubt you have any
>>> proof at all for that statement.

>> Well, if the problem was caused by low flow and high temperatures causing
>> oil breakdown, a synthetic oil with a higher breakdown temperature would
>> seem to help.
>>
>> I had a Chrysler Laser which was notorious for turbocharger problems.
>> The
>> oil would bake in the turbocharger after the engine was turned off, and
>> clog it up with varnish.

> Sounds like a candidate for an electric fan to run after the engine was
> shut off.

Some turbo units were water cooled, some were not. The unit on my '86
Subaru wagon was water cooled - and I tell you what: You learned very
quickly that you didn't use regular old generic heater hose on the
return hose on that baby - it wouldn't last 2 weeks. It was like steam
coming out of there, and you'd best be putting *silicone* heater hose on it.

I dreamed about putting an electric circulator pump with a timer on it
that ran it for a minute or so after the engine was shut off, but never
got around to doing that.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 4th 10, 09:07 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Tony Harding > wrote:
>On 04/04/10 12:01, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> So you are trying to say that the problematic Toyotas would not have
>>> sludged if they had been using synthetic oils? I doubt you have any
>>> proof at all for that statement.

>> Well, if the problem was caused by low flow and high temperatures causing
>> oil breakdown, a synthetic oil with a higher breakdown temperature would
>> seem to help.
>>
>> I had a Chrysler Laser which was notorious for turbocharger problems. The
>> oil would bake in the turbocharger after the engine was turned off, and
>> clog it up with varnish.

>Sounds like a candidate for an electric fan to run after the engine was
>shut off.

It had one, and that was a big deal! An electric oil pump that kept the
oil circulating after the engine was shut off might have been a good idea
too.
--scott

Old April 4th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Bob Jones

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> On 04/04/2010 11:18 AM, Bob Jones wrote:
>> "jim > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> then you have a reading comprehension problem. because honda have
>>> indeed
>>> done plenty of research and carefully written it into your owners
>>> manual,
>>> but you evidently don't seem to understand what they've said.
>>>

>> From someone who has never even read the manual? I got to hand it to
>> you.

> wow dude - that's chutzpah!

Based on the question you asked earlier? That's actually a safe bet.

>>> based on oil analysis, i have this:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/4291579733/
>>>

>> Send it to Honda. May be they will rewrite the manual based on your
>> findings. If the manual says changing oil every 20k miles, I will be the
>> first one to follow.

> eat your own dog food. do oil analysis. then you won't need to "follow".

"honda have indeed done plenty of research and carefully written it into
your owners manual"

If that's the case, there should be no need to do your own analysis. That is
of course unless you think your research is more thorough and bullet-proof
than Honda's.

Old April 4th 10, 11:10 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:49:44 -0400, Bill Putney >

>> Actually, even if blowby was at the root of the problem (which it
>> wasn't on the Toyotas and 3.7 Mopars)...

>I think you meant 2.7 Mopars there.

Yes, fat finger syndrome.
Old April 4th 10, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:57:24 -0500, "hls" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Actually, even if blowby was at the root of the problem (which it
>> wasn't on the Toyotas and 3.7 Mopars) synthetic oils do not oxidize as
>> easily - meaning the acids etc deposited by the blowby would not break
>> down the synthetic as fast.
>>
>> Would it eliminate the problem? Doubtful - but it would definitely
>> REDUCE the problem -or delay it.

>Would they oxidize as easily, or not? Prove your point.

They would not oxidize as easily as the "dyno" oil, but if blowby
by-products are causing the problem the improvement from using
Synthetic - although real, would be insignificant in the grand scheme
of things. Synthetic oil will not "repair" the engine.
The synthetic would last longer than the dyno oil under the same
circumstances - but the Dyno oil would last even longer in an engine
without excessive blowby. And yes, the synthetic would likely last
even longer than the dyno under the same (better) conditions.