Frequently bought together, at Amazon.

Old April 9th 21, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

Default Frequently bought together, at Amazon.

This post is more Amazon-related than smoke- or car-related.

One of the things I've noticed about Amazon is that they usually lie,
afaic, when they list Frequently Bought Together.

Much of the time, they are showing two versions of something no one
wants more than one of. They're related becaue they do the same thing
but not because people buy them together.

Tonight for the first time, I found an example where I'm sure many do
buy them together.

I watched how to build your own smoke machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixozqgSwN0 and went to look for the
parts he used. The first part he shows:

https://www.amazon.com/Canplas-19363...-search&sr=8-2

And what was frequently bought with it, they said:

These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. Show details
Buy the selected items together

1) This item:Canplas 193632 PVC DWV Closet Flange with Cap, 4-Inch x
3-Inch, White $13.70
2) Canplas 193704AS PVC DWV FTG Cleanout Adapter with PL $15.73
(There's another one by the same company for $3 less.)
3) SPARKING 5FT 12V Female Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Extension
Cord with Battery Alligator Clips Car… $9.74

I don't know much about plumbing. Maybe 1 and 2 are often bought
together.

But I see no reason to buy item 3 with these plumbing parts, except that
these three things were the basic parts of his smoke machine. He has
282,000 views of that video, and I suppose if even 1% went to amazon**
and bought these three parts, it would be enough to register as
frequently bought together

And when I wento the page for item 2,
https://www.amazon.com/Canplas-19370...46YT7FV9MYGK6H
under Customers who viewed this item also viewed it had

Torch wicks, Johnson's baby oil, the sparking set, a crimping tool, a
10-pack of rubber stoppers, two kinds of resistance wire, air hose
fittings, and a step drill bit. All 8 of them things he used in his
video. Plus it had 2 assembled, retail smoke machines.

No doubt that this guy is driving a bunch of Amazon purchases.

**as he encourages people to do, in part because he gets a commission.
In fact I think one video maker said that even if you didn't buy the
parts on his list, if youy went to amazon from his video and then bought
anything, he got a commission. What percent do you suppose the
commission is?

BTW, I have part 3 and some other parts, and might even have something
that can serve as part 1 or 2.