Help; 2004 Odyssey; replaced motor and now having problems

Old December 26th 05, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Help; 2004 Odyssey; replaced motor and now having problems

"testertoby" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We did sign off on the fix...but what option do we have otherwise? I
> mean, the appraiser assesses the damage and tells us what they will
> cover. So, we say, "Go do it. But, hey, are you sure there isn't some
> frame damage?" He says, "No, you never even know your were in an
> accident."
>
> Anyway, I am hoping that if the shop goes back and says yep, the
> appraiser missed some frame damage, that the insu co (Allstate) will
> step up.
>
> We're in Good Hands ,eh? (sarcasm inserted)
>
> Thanks!

My one experience with Allstate was as a victim -- the other guy who hit me
had them. Convinced me that that was one company to stay away from. If I
ever have to deal with them again, I'll get a lawyer first.

Old December 26th 05, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I rear-ended a very nice lady in an old Ford Bronco and about 25 MPH.
The front end of the minivan looked totalled, but my insurance
appraiser said that it was a very straight-forward procedure to replace
the existing enine with another from a different Odyssey. He told my
wife that we would "never know we were in an accident". Since then (9
months) we have had to have the van back into the shop 3 times because
the serpentine belt keeps coming off. There is a bolt near the
alternator that mounts to the engine block and the bolt has broken
twice now. And, the last time, our trans fluid was completely gone and
we had a leaky shift shaft seal. I can clearly see that the belt
*wheels* are not aligned and that this is why the serpentine belt keeps
shredding.

Anyway, I think the insurance appraiser messed up and missed that the
frame was bent in the original accident. But, I am not sure that I can
prove this. I am wondering if anyone has had thier engine completely
replaced and whether or not they are having similar problems. Also, any
general advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Old December 26th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Insist that the insurance adjuster and shop fix it correctly. Did you sign
off on the fix? You should not have. It may be time to get legal help.

Old December 26th 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I, in an 04 Ody, tboned a car that ran a red light going 45. The officer
and I both thought the van was totalled. But no, in my case the engine and
tranny were untouched but the entire front end was a gone. They did have to
drop the engine and tranny to rebuild the front support.

I have Farmers and had the work done at an Farmers approved Acura
dealership. I have had no major problems with the workmanship and the
dealership fully backed all their work for one year. My biggest complaint
was that my agent did nothing to help speed up the process. We were without
a van for a full month and didn't have rental on the policy. That sucks.

I would say that the shop is incompetent or the replacement engine was junk.
Hopefully your insurance will help out.

Scott

Old December 26th 05, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 26 Dec 2005 11:24:44 -0800, "testertoby"
> wrote:

>I rear-ended a very nice lady in an old Ford Bronco and about 25 MPH.
>The front end of the minivan looked totalled, but my insurance
>appraiser said that it was a very straight-forward procedure to replace
>the existing enine with another from a different Odyssey. He told my
>wife that we would "never know we were in an accident". Since then (9
>months) we have had to have the van back into the shop 3 times because
>the serpentine belt keeps coming off. There is a bolt near the
>alternator that mounts to the engine block and the bolt has broken
>twice now. And, the last time, our trans fluid was completely gone and
>we had a leaky shift shaft seal. I can clearly see that the belt
>*wheels* are not aligned and that this is why the serpentine belt keeps
>shredding.
>
>Anyway, I think the insurance appraiser messed up and missed that the
>frame was bent in the original accident. But, I am not sure that I can
>prove this. I am wondering if anyone has had thier engine completely
>replaced and whether or not they are having similar problems. Also, any
>general advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Hard to say what is going on without seeing it, but all of the pulleys
are mounted to the engine, not the frame. It is hard to see how a
frame problem would cause the belt to jump or shred unless it was
making contact with the vehicle.

Taking a wild stab, I would guess that the new engine was in an
accident in the original vehicle. (Pretty good bet because otherwise
it would still be in the original vehicle.) In that crash, the engine
was impacted and something on that engine was bent or broken. The
shop is missing it because they are looking for damage from your
accident. I would also guess that they are dishonest, incompetent or
both. If you can see that the pulleys are out of alignment, it should
be easy to figure out why. Take it to a honda dealer and ask them to
look at it.
Old December 26th 05, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks. I didn't realize that all of the pulleys are attached to the
engine. Very interesting. Yes, I think we were kind of suspecting the
engine frame was the problem. I will ask about the history of the
replacement engine. Thanks for the info.

Old December 27th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

> Let's see he someone else caused your car to be out of commission,
> and you didn't make that person pay for your rental?

Should have been able to. I have when I've been hit.

> Sure, you subrogated the collision claim to your insurance company (not
> necessarily the right thing to do). But that doesn't mean you can't go
> after the other guy separately for a rental, does it?

I always go after the other drivers insurance directly. I don't want my
insurance company to pay out, possible not get all their money back form the
"other guy" and then raise my rates as a result.

I simply inform my agent of what happened in the event I need to get them
involved, but then go after the other company.

Old December 27th 05, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Seth" > wrote:
>
>> > Sure, you subrogated the collision claim to your insurance company (not
>> > necessarily the right thing to do). But that doesn't mean you can't go
>> > after the other guy separately for a rental, does it?

>> I always go after the other drivers insurance directly. I don't want my
>> insurance company to pay out, possible not get all their money back form
>> the
>> "other guy" and then raise my rates as a result.

> Bingo.
>
> The ONLY reason to subrogate to your own insurance company is if the
> other guy has no insurance, AND it's a large claim.
>
>> I simply inform my agent of what happened in the event I need to get them
>> involved,

> Nowadays, even that can raise your rates.

I've never heard of that happening. Basically, if the insurance co doesn't
have to pay, as far as they are concerned it didn't happen. At least this
is how it worked for me in the past first using All State as my co, and then
(and still) as a customer of NationWide.

> Keeping your own agent completely out of the loop is the only safe thing
> to do.

I keep him in the loop just in case any difficulties arise, he isn't new to
the game and already knows what's going on.

Old December 27th 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

No drivers license and no insurance.

Scott