best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

Old December 26th 09, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jim Yanik

Default best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

jim beam > wrote in news:jfmdnQ3Ai81Y-
:

>>> I wonder why they just don't put a USB interface in the cars already,
>>> then distribute a program that would read the codes and dive directly
>>> into the troubleshooting of the code based on the car ID.
>>>

>> car manufacturers fought a common obd standard tooth and nail. its
>> existence is one of the few instances where government actually got it
>> right and could see that fully proprietary coding would be the ultimate
>> in lock-in device and end up costing the consumer up the wazoo. it would
>> also put all the independent repair shops out of business overnight,
>> which is ultimately why we have what we have today.
>>
>> but the car manufacturers still don't like it. the intent of obd has
>> been diluted with all the tier two codes, the "proprietary" codes, which
>> are completely inconsistent. iow, manufacturers, with constant lobbying
>> and back-door influence, want to make it difficult and more expensive
>> for a mom & pop garage to exist, and keep the vehicle coming back to the
>> dealer. you can expect that trend to continue - the nature of politics,
>> influence and business interests being what they are, a fully
>> "universal", accessible-by-anyone software interface will simply never
>> exist.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091226/...dent_mechanics

Just wait until integrated console controls become widespread.
Where a LCD display,touchscreen and microprocessor controls your dash,your
radio,heater,AC,NAV system.etc.
strictly company specific(custom),and once it's out of
production;irreplacable and the death of your car.

Planned obsolesence.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik