Noise when braking

Old April 28th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
why, me[_2_]

Default Noise when braking

I am getting a rumbling noise when I brake. Seems to be right front. I
have changed tires, wheels and brake pads. No other indications are
apparent. Seems to be less when below ~45mph. Car has 95,000 miles.

2000 SAAB 9-3 5 speed manual

What should I start investigating

WV
Old April 28th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"why, me" > wrote in message
>I am getting a rumbling noise when I brake. Seems to be right front. I have
>changed tires, wheels and brake pads. No other indications are apparent.
>Seems to be less when below ~45mph. Car has 95,000 miles.
>
> 2000 SAAB 9-3 5 speed manual
>
> What should I start investigating
>
> WV

Might be bad bearings in the hub.
Bad CV joints usually have a different sound and are heard when rounding
corners,
but dont rule anything out.

Old April 28th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
why, me[_2_]

HLS wrote:

> "why, me" > wrote in message
>> I am getting a rumbling noise when I brake. Seems to be right front. I
>> have changed tires, wheels and brake pads. No other indications are
>> apparent. Seems to be less when below ~45mph. Car has 95,000 miles.
>>
>> 2000 SAAB 9-3 5 speed manual
>>
>> What should I start investigating
>>
>> WV

> Might be bad bearings in the hub.
> Bad CV joints usually have a different sound and are heard when rounding
> corners,
> but dont rule anything out.

That is what I was thinking but the research I did gave little
information that pointed that way. I have never had a wheel bearing go
before so I am in the dark on this.

Thanks for the input and I'll pursue that avenue a little more.

WV
Old April 28th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

"why, me" wrote:

> HLS wrote:
> >
> > "why, me" > wrote in message
> >> I am getting a rumbling noise when I brake. Seems to be right front. I
> >> have changed tires, wheels and brake pads. No other indications are
> >> apparent. Seems to be less when below ~45mph. Car has 95,000 miles.
> >>
> >> 2000 SAAB 9-3 5 speed manual
> >>
> >> What should I start investigating
> >>
> >> WV

> > Might be bad bearings in the hub.
> > Bad CV joints usually have a different sound and are heard when rounding
> > corners,
> > but dont rule anything out.

> That is what I was thinking but the research I did gave little
> information that pointed that way. I have never had a wheel bearing go
> before so I am in the dark on this.

It hard to tell what rumbling means. Bearing is a possibility. Worn
suspension bushings another. Loose bowling ball in the trunk might be
another.

Was whoever did the brakes aware of the problem?

-jim

Old April 28th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
why, me[_2_]

jim wrote:

> "why, me" wrote:
>> HLS wrote:

>>> Might be bad bearings in the hub.
>>> Bad CV joints usually have a different sound and are heard when rounding
>>> corners,
>>> but dont rule anything out.

>> That is what I was thinking but the research I did gave little
>> information that pointed that way. I have never had a wheel bearing go
>> before so I am in the dark on this.

> It hard to tell what rumbling means. Bearing is a possibility. Worn
> suspension bushings another. Loose bowling ball in the trunk might be
> another.
>
> Was whoever did the brakes aware of the problem?

Not the bowling ball, noise in the front and only when brakes are applied.

I did the pads because I thought the pads were getting worn (50,000
miles on them). When the rumble stayed the same I went Oh, Oh ....

WV