New Top Concern/Issue

Old September 19th 04, 03:44 PM
Pat Dreiding

Default New Top Concern/Issue

I purchased and installed a cloth top on my 99 miata from Duetto. I did it
myself and it still looks great.
The installation part of the instructions could use some work, just remember
how it went apart and use your common sense.

My concern now is the material/seam that goes across the car about three
inches above the rear window.
My #3 bow (cross bar) rubs against the seam when raising and lowering the
top.
When lowering the top down the bow goes smoothly over the seam and the
stitching.
The problem is raising the top.
The bow goes 'against the grain' with a very likelyhood of fraying the
material that's past the seam and putting additional pressure on the seams
themselves.
Has anyone else made this observation?
Is there anything I can do to minimize the chaffing and rubbing?
Could frabic glue be used to hold down the material beyond the stitching?
Any thoughts?

TIA,
- Pat

Old September 19th 04, 11:56 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Pat Dreiding" > wrote:

>I purchased and installed a cloth top on my 99 miata from Duetto. I did it
>myself and it still looks great.
>The installation part of the instructions could use some work, just remember
>how it went apart and use your common sense.
>
>My concern now is the material/seam that goes across the car about three
>inches above the rear window.
>My #3 bow (cross bar) rubs against the seam when raising and lowering the
>top.
>When lowering the top down the bow goes smoothly over the seam and the
>stitching.
>The problem is raising the top.
>The bow goes 'against the grain' with a very likelyhood of fraying the
>material that's past the seam and putting additional pressure on the seams
>themselves.
>Has anyone else made this observation?
>Is there anything I can do to minimize the chaffing and rubbing?
>Could frabic glue be used to hold down the material beyond the stitching?
>Any thoughts?

Cover the bow with material that is softer than the top material?
Cover the seam?

Is there visible evidence of wear, and where?

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 25th 04, 02:59 PM
Pat Dreiding

Leon,

Thank you for your reply.

I did get a bow cover to use. There is no visible evidence of wear, maybe
just a parnoid concern of mine.
The maufacturer told me that the seams have four layers of material that are
heat sealed (I wish there
was some evidence of the heat seal). But they assured me that there will be
no problem and that the
top has a 5 year warranty in-case something does happen.
I' going to keep an eye on it. I have taken a few pictures and will
continue to take them over time.
If something does go wrong I'll at least have a history trail.

So, for the moment, this issue is no longer a concern.

Regards,
- Pat