Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

Old December 10th 17, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

I was told that there is a manual auto repair shops look up to find the
number of shop hours they charge for a job.

To be fair, I'm told they all charge that many hours even if it doesn't
take that many hours.

For example if three jobs are done, and even if they associate with each
other, they just add up the shop hours and then charge by the $200/hour
that the local shops all seem to charge for their shop rate.

Where can we car owners get that manual online?
Old December 10th 17, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Ken[_24_]

Frank S wrote:
> I was told that there is a manual auto repair shops look up to find the
> number of shop hours they charge for a job.
>
> To be fair, I'm told they all charge that many hours even if it doesn't
> take that many hours.
>
> For example if three jobs are done, and even if they associate with each
> other, they just add up the shop hours and then charge by the $200/hour
> that the local shops all seem to charge for their shop rate.
>
> Where can we car owners get that manual online?

You might try:
http://www.napaautocare.com/Estimato...r p_zc=72210#
Old December 10th 17, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Rene Lamontagne

On 12/10/2017 1:44 PM, Ken wrote:
> Frank S wrote:
>> I was told that there is a manual auto repair shops look up to find the
>> number of shop hours they charge for a job.
>>
>> To be fair, I'm told they all charge that many hours even if it doesn't
>> take that many hours.
>>
>> For example if three jobs are done, and even if they associate with each
>> other, they just add up the shop hours and then charge by the $200/hour
>> that the local shops all seem to charge for their shop rate.
>>
>> Where can we car owners get that manual online?
>>

> You might try:
> http://www.napaautocare.com/Estimato...r p_zc=72210#

Try Chilton manuals
, Used to be our source waybackwhen.

Rene
Old December 10th 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 1:48:26 PM UTC-6, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 12/10/2017 1:44 PM, Ken wrote:
> > Frank S wrote:
> >> I was told that there is a manual auto repair shops look up to find the
> >> number of shop hours they charge for a job.
> >>
> >> To be fair, I'm told they all charge that many hours even if it doesn't
> >> take that many hours.
> >>
> >> For example if three jobs are done, and even if they associate with each
> >> other, they just add up the shop hours and then charge by the $200/hour
> >> that the local shops all seem to charge for their shop rate.
> >>
> >> Where can we car owners get that manual online?
> >>

> > You might try:
> > http://www.napaautocare.com/Estimato...r p_zc=72210#
> >

> Try Chilton manuals
> , Used to be our source waybackwhen.
>
> Rene

Haynes (paper) manuals are good too, for looking up how to do repairs on your vehicles. (you might find them online too) Some auto parts stores sell them. If they don't have what you want ask them if they can/will order it for you. I have done that before at an O'Reilly's auto parts store. Haynes and Chilton manuals for my 1983 Dodge van.
Old December 10th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

https://haynes.com/en-us/car-manuals ...Yer Bold, Mein Heir!
Old December 10th 17, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 2:10:06 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 2:05:37 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> > > Try Chilton manuals
> > > , Used to be our source waybackwhen.
> > >
> > > Rene

> > Haynes (paper) manuals are good too, for looking up how to do repairs on your vehicles. (you might find them online too) Some auto parts stores sell them. If they don't have what you want ask them if they can/will order it for you. I have done that before at an O'Reilly's auto parts store. Haynes and Chilton manuals for my 1983 Dodge van.

> https://haynes.com/en-us/car-manuals ...Yer Bold, Mein Heir!

I hate to but in again, but I just cant help it, chiltondiymanuals.com ...Perhaps Clymer manuals too. They are all Real Good.
Old December 11th 17, 10:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In <news Rene Lamontagne said:

> Try Chilton manuals
> , Used to be our source waybackwhen.

The original question asks for a database *online* for the shop hours for
any given job.

I know Mitchells has it in paper manuals but I'm seeking an *online*
source.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.
Old December 18th 17, 10:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Diesel

Frank S >
news in alt.windows7.general, wrote:

> In <news > Rene Lamontagne said:
>
>> Try Chilton manuals
>> , Used to be our source waybackwhen.

> The original question asks for a database *online* for the shop
> hours for any given job.
>
> I know Mitchells has it in paper manuals but I'm seeking an
> *online* source.

A flatrate amount most likely isn't in paper manuals, but the time it
should take a qualified mechanic to do the repair is. As the repair
cost varies from shop to shop and location to location. The shop
owner sets the hourly rate, but, the software tells them how many
hours this or that job should take to complete.

> I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

It doesn't provide a flat rate, it provides the time it should take a
qualified mechanic to do the repair. The shop sets the price they
charge per hour.

--
Please visit our moderators personal page:
Now for a cheeky message from our sponsors:
Old December 11th 17, 09:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In <news Ken said:

> You might try:
> http://www.napaautocare.com/Estimato...r p_zc=72210#

Thanks Ken,

That's a nice site which is probably what *most* people want.
a. Cost for the job
b. Cost for the part.

So I understand why that site is useful to *other* people.

But it's the exact *opposite* of what I want.
I don't want the final cost (that's easy) nor the parts cost (that's easy).

What I'm looking for is the number of hours only.
(The rest is just simple math.)
Old December 10th 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mayayana

"Frank S" > wrote

|I was told that there is a manual auto repair shops look up to find the
| number of shop hours they charge for a job.

Please don't add Windows 7 to a completely
irrelevant post. You've addressed 3 groups and only
one has any connection to your question.