Miata vs Z3?

Old March 12th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Miata vs Z3?

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a new roadster and would like some opinions.
Obviously there are not a lot of affordable roadsters out there. I have
narrowed my choices down to 3 - a new Miata, a used Z3, or possibly a new
Sky/Solstice. I have not been able to drive any of these because I live out
in Hell's half-acre. But my research has yielded some general impressions.
Generally, the Miata is viewed as slightly cramped and less refined, whereas
the Z3 is larger, heavier, and likely better for a daily driver. I assume
the Sky/Solstice will be somewhere in-between.

I will be using the roadster as a daily driver except in winter conditions,
where I will use my truck. The vehicle will take the place of my current
daily driver AND my Wrangler, that I can only use in sunny weather because
the top is such a pain to put up & down (I just remove it entirely and use a
bikini top if I get stuck in the rain). So, this car will not only be used
for commuting and fun, but also for road trips. Additionally, I live 2 hours
from the Mazda dealer, 1.5 hours from the BMW and Saturn dealers, and only
10 min from the Pontiac dealer, so reliability is a big issue as well.

--
Dana Rohleder
Port Kent, NY

"We look forward to hearing your vision, so we can more better do our job.
That's what I'm telling you." - G.W. Bush, Gulfport, Miss., Sept. 20, 2005.

Old March 12th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Dana Rohleder" > wrote in message
> Additionally, I live 2 hours from the Mazda dealer, 1.5 hours from the BMW
> and Saturn dealers, and only 10 min from the Pontiac dealer, so
> reliability is a big issue as well.

10 minutes from the Pontiac dealer should be about right... and I think I'd
want the BringMoreWorries dealer a bit closer. You won't be seeing a Mazda
sevice dept very often.
I'd heard that GM adapted a tranny from an existing 4 cyl RWD platform to
put in the Solstice (possibly from the Sonoma pickup) and that the gear
ratios are not right at all. Anyone else heard this ?

Pete
'94 BRG

Old March 12th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Dana Rohleder" > wrote:

> I am considering purchasing a new roadster and would like some opinions.
> Obviously there are not a lot of affordable roadsters out there. I have
> narrowed my choices down to 3 - a new Miata, a used Z3, or possibly a new
> Sky/Solstice.

I think you're really going to have to drive each car. Each has its own
distinct feel and flavor. Your initial impressions are on the right
track, though there's not all that much difference in interior space
among the three cars--they're all cramped, but you'd get used to it.

Each car hits its intended market squarely, with its own unique (but
overlapping) set of strengths. If you just want a convertible that's fun
to bop around in, any of them will do. Pushed considerably harder, their
limitations and differences may become more important to you. The BMW
has more class, the Solstice has more bling, the Miata's handling is an
extension of the driver's will.

Your requirement for road trips may eliminate the Solstice, due to its
folded top almost completely filling the trunk. The other two have
enough luggage room if you pack light--we've taken 2-week vacations in
our Miata, including minimal camping gear.

Personally, I'd avoid the Z3 for reliability and maintenance expense
reasons, but it's a fine cruiser; I've only driven the M Roadster
version, though, not the 4-cylinder.

Since the Solstice comes from the parts bin, I'd expect its basic
reliability to be very good, with the usual GM number of nonessential
parts falling off regularly.

The new Miata is still an unknown, but for 15 years the reliability of
the old one has been legendary.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old March 12th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >, "Pete" <pbreemhaar(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'd heard that GM adapted a tranny from an existing 4 cyl RWD platform to
>put in the Solstice (possibly from the Sonoma pickup) and that the gear
>ratios are not right at all. Anyone else heard this ?

Yes, it is from the Canyon/Colorado. Some mags have reported a too
wide gap in the ratios. But that same wide gap gives it a more
relaxed cruise rpm. So, tradeoffs. I haven't driven it, so I can't
say more. I can say that I find the 6-speed in my '01 Miata to be
too close-ratio and a bit superfluous.

To the original poster: your impressions are probably correct. I've
driven the new Miata and it is quite nice, more refined than my '01.
The Z3 has a little more gravitas. But it has a surprising amount
of cowl scuttle. Again, haven't driven a Solstice/Sky yet. Hope to
soon.

Any new car can have some niggling issues and (usually minor)
recalls. So I wouldn't discount the benefit of a nearby dealership.

At least test drive a Solstice since the dealership is so close.
Check out the trunk and top and see if it is acceptable for your
daily driver req't.

Overall, I think any of the cars would be a fun ride. I'd recommend
trying all and not just going by ng impressions. We're a fickled,
bias lot.
Old March 12th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:01:02 -0600, "Chris D'Agnolo" >
wrote:

>... Another glitch in the Solstice is that beside losing trunk
>space, you have to get out of the car to lower the top!

So do many of the more serious Miata drivers. 8

"Bring More Worries"? My wife is on her third Bimmer in a row. None of them has
ever seen a shop except for scheduled maintenance or (once) to change electronic
settings.

We picked the latest one up in Munich. It was doing 110 mph on the autobahn,
headed for Vienna, ten minutes after we left the plant. We put 3,000 such miles
on in the next three weeks, and it has never missed a beat.

I'd call Bimmer extremely reliable cars, as I would Miatae.

Now if he was considering a Triumph... 8

-- Larry

Old March 12th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pltrgyst > wrote in
:

> Now if he was considering a Triumph... 8

Do not knock Triumph. Around 1963 I bought a VERY used 1959 Triumph
TR3 and had very few problems... I wouldn't consider it a reliable car
by today's standards but for 1963 it wasn't particularly troublesome.

Old March 13th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I loved my 73 MGB and didn't find it to be unreliable at all. Most of the
problems I encountered were due to my tweaking. I was never visited by the
probably overhyped Lucas gremlin. It was also the only car I have owned in
30 years that I sold for more than I paid for it!

I suspect the Miata is much closer to my preferences. Unfortunately, I can't
find a new one anywhere near me. I will need to wait until the Saratoga
dealership gets one in. Problem is, will I get a chance to drive it before
it is gone??!!

Old March 13th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I also saw a test on TV between the two and they liked the Miata better -
they felt the handling to be an extension of the driver's intuition.

Old March 13th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pltrgyst > wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:01:02 -0600, "Chris D'Agnolo" >
>wrote:
>
>>... Another glitch in the Solstice is that beside losing trunk
>>space, you have to get out of the car to lower the top!

>So do many of the more serious Miata drivers. 8
>
>"Bring More Worries"? My wife is on her third Bimmer in a row. None of them has
>ever seen a shop except for scheduled maintenance or (once) to change electronic
>settings.
>
>We picked the latest one up in Munich. It was doing 110 mph on the autobahn,
>headed for Vienna, ten minutes after we left the plant. We put 3,000 such miles
>on in the next three weeks, and it has never missed a beat.

What is the big deal of doing 110 mph on the autobahn for 3,000 miles?
My father used to go a lot faster a lot longer with cars build with
60's tolerances that were not known for their reliability even then.

>I'd call Bimmer extremely reliable cars, as I would Miatae.

Maybe. It is not a Mercedes (which used to be considered a very
reliable car in the old days, BTW.) With both the Solstice and
the Z3 build in the US, I think I would feel safer with the Z3.
Though the Solstice is better looking than the Z3 IMHO.

Anyway, I am going with the new Miata now probably anytime soon.

Leon

>Now if he was considering a Triumph... 8
>
>-- Larry

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)