Headlight bulb wattages

Old May 31st 05, 01:28 AM
VJF

Default Headlight bulb wattages

Does anyone know what the default wattages are for the lowbeam
headlights and the highbeam headlights?

55w
65w
100w
??

same wattage for both or different wattage for both?

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks in advance
Old May 31st 05, 01:49 AM
TranSurgeon

sounds like an amperage reading is in order................

Old May 31st 05, 03:38 AM
Pete

Basic replacement: usually the same specifications as original equipment
(OE), about 35-watt low beams and 55-watt high beams.

Old May 31st 05, 07:27 AM
Jim Warman

The power consumption of the bulb is, barring any external problems, decided
by the bulb. There is no "default". In the past, industry standard was 55 or
65 watts low beam, and 85 high beam. Important to consider is the current
carrying capability of the wiring and the heat load on the reflector/lens
assembly.

Old June 2nd 05, 09:45 PM
Anon

VJF wrote:
> Does anyone know what the default wattages are for the lowbeam
> headlights and the highbeam headlights?
>
> 55w
> 65w
> 100w
> ??
>

> same wattage for both or different wattage for both?
>

> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance

Here in the UK, and I suspect the rest of Europe, low beam is 55w and
high beam 60w. Sometimes this is provided by a dual filament 55/60w bulb
and sometime by separate bulbs. In the days before halogen bulbs, IIRC
the power was 45/50w.

You can get high wattage bulbs (I've got some 130w on the rally car, but
they are marked "not for road use", so at least in theory
illegal...assuming you get caught in the first place!!

Just a throw away thought - despite the stated power of the HL bulbs,
I'd bet a fair amount of money that 95% of road cars are actually
putting out considerably less. On my old Audi rally car, with the OEM
wiring the voltage at the bulb was ~10v c/w ~13v at the battery which
equates to less than 45w or ~20% less output - I'll leave those more in
the know to tell you whether that equates to 20% perceived less light.

We replaced the OEM wiring and switches with 32/.2 and relays - net
result was a noticeable difference in output and the ability to run high
wattage bulbs without the danger of burning out the switch gear :-)
Old June 3rd 05, 05:47 AM
Sparkle

Anon wrote:

> ... On my old Audi rally car, with the OEM
> wiring the voltage at the bulb was ~10v c/w ~13v at the battery which
> equates to less than 45w or ~20% less output - I'll leave those more in
> the know to tell you whether that equates to 20% perceived less light.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html says closer
to 60% less light.

10 / 13 = 77% volts

..77^3.4 = 41% light
Old June 4th 05, 05:42 PM
Anon

Sparkle wrote:
> Anon wrote:
>
>> ... On my old Audi rally car, with the OEM wiring the voltage at the
>> bulb was ~10v c/w ~13v at the battery which equates to less than 45w
>> or ~20% less output - I'll leave those more in the know to tell you
>> whether that equates to 20% perceived less light.

> http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html says closer
> to 60% less light.
>
> 10 / 13 = 77% volts
>
> .77^3.4 = 41% light

Stern Lighting is an excellent site - I'd forgotten he had stuff on
there about replacing OEM wiring, otherwise I'd have posted the link ;-)