Mother of teen killed by 130 mph speeder BEGS FOR MERCY for her son's killer

Old August 28th 06, 08:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default Mother of teen killed by 130 mph speeder BEGS FOR MERCY for her son's killer

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps...ws01/608260394

August 26. 2006 6:59AM

Teen gets probation in deadly crash
Victim's mother asks judge for leniency in pre-prom fatality.

CAROL DRAEGER Tribune Staff Writer

CASSOPOLIS -- The mother of a teen killed in a high-speed crash hours
before prom, asked a Cass County judge for leniency Friday in
sentencing the driver.

In an emotional plea, Michelle Topping told Circuit Judge Michael
Dodge that her son, Hunter, wouldn't have wanted jail time for his
best friend, Jeremy Shank.

Shank was charged with negligent homicide in the April 29 crash that
killed 16-year-old Hunter, who was a passenger. Shank was a Dowagiac
Union High School senior at the time.

Shank could've been sentenced to up to two years in jail. Instead, the
18-year-old will relive the consequences of that fateful day
frequently by sharing the story with other teens.

In sentencing Shank to three years probation, Dodge also ordered the
teen to talk to students about the deadly consequences of speeding.

Shank also must perform 50 hours of community service and cannot drive
a vehicle for a year.

Shank admitted to police that he was driving a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette
about 130 mph when he lost control of the vehicle on California Road
in Silver Creek Township about 1:30 p.m., hours before the boys'
senior prom.

(snip)

I suspect the killer's parents paid the "mother" to say what she
said. How else can you explain this?

Old August 28th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Nate Nagel

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps...ws01/608260394
>
> August 26. 2006 6:59AM
>
> Teen gets probation in deadly crash
> Victim's mother asks judge for leniency in pre-prom fatality.
>
> CAROL DRAEGER Tribune Staff Writer
>
> CASSOPOLIS -- The mother of a teen killed in a high-speed crash hours
> before prom, asked a Cass County judge for leniency Friday in
> sentencing the driver.
>
> In an emotional plea, Michelle Topping told Circuit Judge Michael
> Dodge that her son, Hunter, wouldn't have wanted jail time for his
> best friend, Jeremy Shank.
>
> Shank was charged with negligent homicide in the April 29 crash that
> killed 16-year-old Hunter, who was a passenger. Shank was a Dowagiac
> Union High School senior at the time.
>
> Shank could've been sentenced to up to two years in jail. Instead, the
> 18-year-old will relive the consequences of that fateful day
> frequently by sharing the story with other teens.
>
> In sentencing Shank to three years probation, Dodge also ordered the
> teen to talk to students about the deadly consequences of speeding.
>
> Shank also must perform 50 hours of community service and cannot drive
> a vehicle for a year.
>
> Shank admitted to police that he was driving a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette
> about 130 mph when he lost control of the vehicle on California Road
> in Silver Creek Township about 1:30 p.m., hours before the boys'
> senior prom.
>
> (snip)

> I suspect the killer's parents paid the "mother" to say what she
> said. How else can you explain this?

Easy, the same sense of entitlement that makes parents buy their kids
new Corvettes.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old August 28th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Gary V

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps...ws01/608260394

//snipped//

> In an emotional plea, Michelle Topping told Circuit Judge Michael
> Dodge that her son, Hunter, wouldn't have wanted jail time for his
> best friend, Jeremy Shank.
>
> Shank could've

"could've"? - since when do newspapers use contractions like this?

> I suspect the killer's parents paid the "mother" to say what she
> said. How else can you explain this?

Maybe the mother realized that no amount of punishment imposed on the
friend would restore her son to life, and had compassion on the young
man.

Old August 28th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Craig Zeni

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> I suspect the killer's parents paid the "mother" to say what she
> said. How else can you explain this?

It's called 'compassion.' You should try it sometime. It comes highly
recommended by that 'Jesus' fellow that you conservatives claim to worship.

Old August 28th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

On 28 Aug 2006 06:15:11 -0700, "Gary V" > wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps...ws01/608260394

>//snipped//
>
>> In an emotional plea, Michelle Topping told Circuit Judge Michael
>> Dodge that her son, Hunter, wouldn't have wanted jail time for his
>> best friend, Jeremy Shank.
>>
>> Shank could've

>"could've"? - since when do newspapers use contractions like this?

>> I suspect the killer's parents paid the "mother" to say what she
>> said. How else can you explain this?

>Maybe the mother realized that no amount of punishment imposed on the
>friend would restore her son to life, and had compassion on the young
>man.

Well hell - that can be said after every killing. Punishment won't
bring back the dead. That's criminal coddler talk.

Old August 28th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:06:14 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>>Shank admitted to police that he was driving a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette
>>about 130 mph when he lost control of the vehicle on California Road
>>in Silver Creek Township about 1:30 p.m., hours before the boys'
>>senior prom.

>Reason #6,385 why you don't buy your teenaged son a 350 HP sports car.

We don't know the parents bought the kid the car. Maybe it was a
friends car. The real lesson here is that we need to tell people that
if you drive a car over 100 mph and are at fault in a fatal crash that
kills an innocent person, then you get life in prison. Only a
criminal coddler like you would disagree with that.

Old August 28th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:06:21 GMT, Craig Zeni
> wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>>
>> I suspect the killer's parents paid the "mother" to say what she
>> said. How else can you explain this?

>It's called 'compassion.' You should try it sometime. It comes highly
>recommended by that 'Jesus' fellow that you conservatives claim to worship.

It's called corruption or criminal coddling. This mother should have
demanded that this killer be locked up for life.

Old August 28th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:06:21 GMT, Craig Zeni
> > wrote:
>
> >Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> >>
> >> I suspect the killer's parents paid the "mother" to say what she
> >> said. How else can you explain this?

> >It's called 'compassion.' You should try it sometime. It comes highly
> >recommended by that 'Jesus' fellow that you conservatives claim to worship.

> It's called corruption or criminal coddling. This mother should have
> demanded that this killer be locked up for life.

Regardless of what the mother says, the kid should have gotten some
jail term. Unlike you LB who would send your mother to prison for life
for fogetting to put a quarter in a parking meter, I wouldn't put him
away forever...but for a little while at least in addition to his
community service.

Old August 28th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Bill Bonde ('The path is clear, though no eyes can see')

Craig Zeni wrote:

> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> >
> > I suspect the killer's parents paid the "mother" to say what she
> > said. How else can you explain this?

> It's called 'compassion.' You should try it sometime. It comes highly
> recommended by that 'Jesus' fellow that you conservatives claim to worship.

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" is a Liberal troll who recently
changed his nym from something about Laura Bush being a murderess.

--
"There are some gals who don't like to be pushed and grabbed and lassoed
and drug into buses in the middle of the night."
Old August 28th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

On 28 Aug 2006 08:17:11 -0700, " >
wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:06:21 GMT, Craig Zeni
>> > wrote:

>> >It's called 'compassion.' You should try it sometime. It comes highly
>> >recommended by that 'Jesus' fellow that you conservatives claim to worship.

>> It's called corruption or criminal coddling. This mother should have
>> demanded that this killer be locked up for life.

>Regardless of what the mother says, the kid should have gotten some
>jail term. Unlike you LB who would send your mother to prison for life
>for fogetting to put a quarter in a parking meter, I wouldn't put him
>away forever...but for a little while at least in addition to his
>community service.

You compare this speeder KILLING a guy with someone cheating a parking
meter??? YOU ARE TOTALLY NUTS.