Optispark warning

Old February 2nd 06, 12:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Optispark warning

I took the 93 Vette to the local car wash and went for the deluxe wash...BIG
MISTAKE..the deluxe wash also jets under the car..and it wiped out the
optispark had to be flat bedded home ( AAA )..still waiting for it to dry
out..last time it got wet it took 3 days before I could start it..

Nice design GM guys...no wonder you can't sell cars.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

I've had that happen to me before on other GM vehicles.... no idea what
they were thinking back then.

------------------------------------
Mike Mangione
http://www.carforums.net

Old February 2nd 06, 03:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

DUH! And HOW many years has this been VERY common knowledge?!?!?!?
Sheesh just when I figured I'd heard the most idiotic thing, YOU TOP IT!

Old February 2nd 06, 08:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

In article . net>,
"grayfox" > wrote:

> I took the 93 Vette to the local car wash and went for the deluxe wash...BIG
> MISTAKE..the deluxe wash also jets under the car..and it wiped out the
> optispark had to be flat bedded home ( AAA )..still waiting for it to dry
> out..last time it got wet it took 3 days before I could start it..

My newest Corvette is coming up on 34 years old; our Honda and Toyota
must not have Optispark technology since I've sprayed the engines and
undercarriage thoroughly with no problem. Sooooo, I have no idea what an
Optispark looks like. Why can't a cover or shield be made to protect it
from direct spray?

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is
original posting --
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old February 2nd 06, 03:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:37:28 GMT, "grayfox" >
puked:

>I took the 93 Vette to the local car wash and went for the deluxe wash...BIG
>MISTAKE..the deluxe wash also jets under the car..and it wiped out the
>optispark had to be flat bedded home ( AAA )..still waiting for it to dry
>out..last time it got wet it took 3 days before I could start it..
>
>Nice design GM guys...no wonder you can't sell cars.

Heh, I took my Camaro SS through one of those 'touch free' washes and
it squirted water through the intake and soaked my air filter.
Fortunately no water went into the engine.

Guess I should have thought about that...
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old February 2nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Yep a real pain in the ass and a big ole worry.
Got mine wet a few times and just a few weeks ago
when I was changing T-Stat and bleeding the system.
Had knock on a neighbors door to push it home.
It's dried out now and running great again.
'94 ragtop 6 speed.

grayfox wrote:

> I took the 93 Vette to the local car wash and went for the deluxe
> wash...BIG MISTAKE..the deluxe wash also jets under the car..and it
> wiped out the optispark had to be flat bedded home ( AAA )..still
> waiting for it to dry out..last time it got wet it took 3 days before
> I could start it..
>
> Nice design GM guys...no wonder you can't sell cars.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old February 2nd 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

grayfox wrote:
> I took the 93 Vette to the local car wash and went for the deluxe
> wash...BIG MISTAKE..the deluxe wash also jets under the car..and it
> wiped out the optispark had to be flat bedded home ( AAA )..still
> waiting for it to dry out..last time it got wet it took 3 days before I
> could start it..
>
> Nice design GM guys...no wonder you can't sell cars.

Yeah, they should have spray tested it and changed the venting. The
location was probably more driven by the changes in engine cooling flow
considerations than by stupidity. They also may have considered Opti as
interim to getting a high voltage 'four-pack' ignition for the 'vette.

In some defense of the engine guys, they needed more precise ignition
timing than the HEI mag-pickup was delivering. Opti gave them that!
Think back to where we were in the late '80s with Govt regulations, fuel
formulation problems and limited bandwidth (sloppy) computers.
Optispark made a lot of sense-- It was however one of the factors in my
considering an L98 instead of an LT1 car. (I took a lot of dust & heat
from the LT1 gang while I waited for my LS-1).

Note that, at the time, GM was using all electronic (no moving parts)
ignition on many of their high production, small-block V6s. Getting the
money to put it into production on the 'vette would have been tough.
Even though most 'vette owners would like it differently, this car has
to compete for capital investment right along with the Escalade and Impala.

--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe
Old February 2nd 06, 07:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"grayfox" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I took the 93 Vette to the local car wash and went for the
>deluxe wash...BIG MISTAKE..the deluxe wash also jets under
>the car..and it wiped out the optispark had to be flat
>bedded home ( AAA )..still waiting for it to dry out..last
>time it got wet it took 3 days before I could start it..
>
> Nice design GM guys...no wonder you can't sell cars.

there is an upside /
ya won't run it through that car wash again !

g'day
--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people

Old February 2nd 06, 07:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"xblazinlv" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've had that happen to me before on other GM vehicles....
> no idea what
> they were thinking back then.
>
> ------------------------------------
> Mike Mangione
> http://www.carforums.net

maybe it was a good thing?
if ya ran through too much water,
your vehicle would stopped running.

Old February 2nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"lab~rat >:-)" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:37:28 GMT, "grayfox"
> >
> puked:
>
>>I took the 93 Vette to the local car wash and went for the
>>deluxe wash...BIG
>>MISTAKE..the deluxe wash also jets under the car..and it
>>wiped out the
>>optispark had to be flat bedded home ( AAA )..still
>>waiting for it to dry
>>out..last time it got wet it took 3 days before I could
>>start it..
>>
>>Nice design GM guys...no wonder you can't sell cars.

> Heh, I took my Camaro SS through one of those 'touch free'
> washes and
> it squirted water through the intake and soaked my air
> filter.
> Fortunately no water went into the engine.
>
> Guess I should have thought about that...
> --
> lab~rat >:-)
> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

no worries, not enough water to worry about.
the water would have gone right through and out your exhaust
pipe
when ya started the car :-)

g'day