To the owners of A6

Old December 21st 04, 06:05 PM
KIP

Default To the owners of A6

Me and my wife test drove a 2001 A6 2.7T 6M and found a couple of
glitches which I would like to share with the group. The steering
wheel does not provide a reasonable response even in turns, and
the gas pedal is so light that you do not feel any resistance at
all. As far as I know it is a 'drive-by-wire' system, not a direct
link, and it might be a cause of the problem.

Other then these two problems the car is fine. The shifter is good,
the clutch has the right feel too. My question is: are all last
generation A6s like this or this particular car is problematic? If
not all A6s like this then I either ask the dealer to fix this one
or will be looking for another one. In case if this is an original
design, then I feel sorry for you guys, you drive a piece of junk.

My wife wants a medium sized car, preferably AWD, and a manual
shifter is a must. The choices are very limited: Audi and Subaru.
They fall into different categories though, but we test drove a new
250 HP Legacy right after we tested a new 530 BMW, and to our
surprise we both found that the Lecacy's handling is very similar
to a BMW's, very precise and responsive, it is a good driver's machine.
We are not ready for a Subaru yet, but we might consider one if
an Audi is not an option.

Thanks for reading,
Vlad
Old December 21st 04, 06:54 PM
Randy S

>In case if this is an original design,
>then I feel sorry for you guys, you drive a piece of junk.

Winning attitude there, idiot. I don't even own an Audi, and I take
offense to you stating your opinion as fact. I suppose that I could state as
fact that anyone named "Vlad" is an asshole. Give me a break, you come to an
Audi forum to ask help from mostly Audi owners and you insult them while asking
them for feedback. Smart move.

Randy
Old December 21st 04, 07:47 PM
KLS

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:05:53 -0600, KIP > wrote:

>Me and my wife test drove a 2001 A6 2.7T 6M and found a couple of
>glitches which I would like to share with the group. The steering
>wheel does not provide a reasonable response even in turns, and
>the gas pedal is so light that you do not feel any resistance at
>all. As far as I know it is a 'drive-by-wire' system, not a direct
>link, and it might be a cause of the problem.

Subaru is a lot cheaper than Audi, so do consider it (advice from
someone with a 1999 Legacy Outback and a 1998 Audi A4 2.8Q), but these
two features of the car you drove are not normal for an Audi. Pass on
that car and find a different Audi.
Old December 21st 04, 08:39 PM
KIP

Randy S > wrote:
> >In case if this is an original design,
> >then I feel sorry for you guys, you drive a piece of junk.

You have a mental problem, I'm sorry for you, have a good life then

Old December 21st 04, 08:43 PM
Pete

"KIP"
> Me and my wife test drove a 2001 A6 2.7T 6M and found a couple of
> glitches which I would like to share with the group. The steering
> wheel does not provide a reasonable response even in turns,

What size tires/rims do you have?

> In case if this is an original
> design, then I feel sorry for you guys, you drive a piece of junk.

Sounds like you're the one with a piece of junk. My A4 doesn't suffer
from either one of these problems. See if you can have someone (dealer
or an indy shop) look at the car. Maybe it needs an alignment. And
maybe the gas pedal stiffness can be adjusted.

> My wife wants a medium sized car, preferably AWD, and a manual
> shifter is a must. The choices are very limited: Audi and Subaru.

Volvo S60R comes with a manual tranny. Not sure how good their AWD
system is though.

Cheers,

Pete

Old December 21st 04, 09:12 PM
KIP

KLS > wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:05:53 -0600, KIP > wrote:

> >Me and my wife test drove a 2001 A6 2.7T 6M and found a couple of
> >glitches which I would like to share with the group. The steering
> >wheel does not provide a reasonable response even in turns, and
> >the gas pedal is so light that you do not feel any resistance at
> >all. As far as I know it is a 'drive-by-wire' system, not a direct
> >link, and it might be a cause of the problem.

> Subaru is a lot cheaper than Audi, so do consider it (advice from
> someone with a 1999 Legacy Outback and a 1998 Audi A4 2.8Q), but these
> two features of the car you drove are not normal for an Audi. Pass on
> that car and find a different Audi.

2001 A6s are coming off lease, and those with a stick shift are rare, at
least in my area. Only two of them are near by. Not too many choices
unfortunately. I'll try to look onto another one later this week.

Vlad
Old December 21st 04, 11:18 PM
Dave LaCourse

I've been driving A6s for many years, dating back to when they were 5000 series
(then 100/200). I have never had the troubles you speak of. I would search
for a different Audi, because that one is acting strangely. Consider the A6
with the 4.2 engine and Tiptronic xmsn. Great car.

I owned a Suby one time. Broke it within a year. Traded it in for a VW
Synchro (Audi engine/running gear).

Dave
RS6

Old December 21st 04, 11:31 PM
Ronny

"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> I've been driving A6s for many years, dating back to when they were 5000

series
> (then 100/200). I have never had the troubles you speak of. I would

search
> for a different Audi, because that one is acting strangely. Consider the

A6
> with the 4.2 engine and Tiptronic xmsn. Great car.
>
> I owned a Suby one time. Broke it within a year. Traded it in for a VW
> Synchro (Audi engine/running gear).

Was that a Passat or a Bora/Jetta ? Sychro was the name given to the older
VW's 4wd system, which they now call 4-motion over here, if it was a Bora
how did you find the Haldex Vs Torsen, as you now have RS?

I've never driven a Haldex 4wd but can't imagine I would feel as secure as I
do in my A4.

Ronny

Old December 22nd 04, 03:14 AM
Dave LaCourse

Ronny writes:

>Was that a Passat or a Bora/Jetta ?

It was an 86 Quantum Synchro with an Audi five cylinder and an Audi transaxle.
It was the same as an Audi 4000 except with a VW wagon body. Great car.
Joanne and I rallied in it for several years, finally giving it to my
son-in-law when we bought a 90 5 cylinder Turbo 200 wagon.

Sychro was the name given to the older
>VW's 4wd system, which they now call 4-motion over here, if it was a Bora
>how did you find the Haldex Vs Torsen, as you now have RS?

I believe the Quantun had Torsen also, I may be wrong, but I believe it had
the same running gear as an Audi, and not one of VW's engine/transaxle.

>I've never driven a Haldex 4wd but can't imagine I would feel as secure as I
>do in my A4.
>
>Ronny

Love the RS6. Just coming up on 15K joy filled miles. It embarasses the hell
out of most Corvettes and Porsches, but blasting STS "Dudes" is about as much
fun as you can have in any car.

Old December 22nd 04, 09:06 AM
Ronny

"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> Ronny writes:
>
>>Was that a Passat or a Bora/Jetta ?

> It was an 86 Quantum Synchro with an Audi five cylinder and an Audi
> transaxle.
> It was the same as an Audi 4000 except with a VW wagon body. Great car.
> Joanne and I rallied in it for several years, finally giving it to my
> son-in-law when we bought a 90 5 cylinder Turbo 200 wagon.
>
> Sychro was the name given to the older
>>VW's 4wd system, which they now call 4-motion over here, if it was a Bora
>>how did you find the Haldex Vs Torsen, as you now have RS?

> I believe the Quantun had Torsen also, I may be wrong, but I believe it
> had
> the same running gear as an Audi, and not one of VW's engine/transaxle.
>

>>I've never driven a Haldex 4wd but can't imagine I would feel as secure as
>>do in my A4.
>>
>>Ronny

> Love the RS6. Just coming up on 15K joy filled miles. It embarasses the
> hell
> out of most Corvettes and Porsches, but blasting STS "Dudes" is about as
> much
> fun as you can have in any car.

- one day maybe

Till then I gotta stick to a 1.8T quattro, which isn't such a bad thing

Attention All GT Owners Pinot Grigio Alfa Romeo 6 November 30th 04 10:59 AM
1985 4000S owner's manual dave AKA vwdoc1 Audi 0 October 27th 04 04:33 AM
147 2.0 TS Lusso any owners review eeyore7 Alfa Romeo 1 October 15th 04 05:42 PM
Owners Manual - Need Help vijatov Audi 1 June 25th 04 03:04 PM
156 owners manual fmt Alfa Romeo 0 June 16th 04 09:56 PM