2003 Pilot sometimes makes a tired, winding, whining noise... timingbelt?

Old May 27th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
DC[_3_]

Default 2003 Pilot sometimes makes a tired, winding, whining noise... timingbelt?

The Pilot has about 55k miles on it, and sometimes makes this tired,
winding, whining noise when starting up or idleing. I want to say its
a belt of some sort, but I've had the belts recplaced, but this didn't
help. I did not have the timing belt repleced though, could this be
the timing belt? I've pinpointed the noise to some belt directly (if
you're facing the engine) left of the engine.

It doesn't make the noise all the time and hasn't made the noise the
few times I've been into the shop with it. I thought it had to do
with the cold weather, but its warm out now, and it still makes the
noise. The noise will start when I turn on the car and will
progressively get louder and whinier as I accelerate, but seems to
subside at higher rpms. The noise get louder when I turn the steering
wheel.

I'd describe it as a consistent "tired" kind of sound. If I had to
spell it, it would "waaaaaa" sound that gets louder as I press the gas
down.

Any help? This is very annoying! And the more annoying thing about
it is that all the times I've taken it in to the dealer, it didn't act
up and the mechanics could not find anything wrong even when I
pointed out where I thought the noise was coming from.

Thanks,
Old May 27th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
DC[_3_]

As for added info, the sound sounds like when you go in reverse at a
high speed--that high pitched whining sound. And additionally, my AC
is not working... I've read that the AC compressor sometimes makes a
whining sound. Could this be related?

Old May 28th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_2_]

I would be checking the transmission, listening for what
happens at different shift points.

I see the Pilot only comes in automatic. Right?

"DC" > wrote

Old May 28th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Iglesias

In article >,
DC > wrote:
>The Pilot has about 55k miles on it, and sometimes makes this tired,
>winding, whining noise when starting up or idleing. I want to say its
>a belt of some sort, but I've had the belts recplaced, but this didn't
>help. I did not have the timing belt repleced though, could this be
>the timing belt? I've pinpointed the noise to some belt directly (if
>you're facing the engine) left of the engine.

You might want to try looking on http://hondapilot.org forums to see
if anyone has already experienced this.

Also, I found this in the Honda Service News for April 2003

Noisy Power Steering
Pump? Replace Reservoir

On ’99–03 Odysseys and ’03 Pilots, the power
steering pump will make a serious whining noise
if the screen in the power steering reservoir is
clogged. A partially clogged reservoir screen
reduces the flow of power steering fluid to the
power steering pump, causing cavitation and
noise. To stop the noise, flush the system and
replace the reservoir.

If the vehicle has the Honda accessory towing
package, check the accessory power steering
cooler for rust inside the tubing. If you find any
rust, replace the cooler.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/a030400.pdf

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Old May 28th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

DC wrote:
> The Pilot has about 55k miles on it, and sometimes makes this tired,
> winding, whining noise when starting up or idleing. I want to say its
> a belt of some sort, but I've had the belts recplaced, but this didn't
> help. I did not have the timing belt repleced though, could this be
> the timing belt? I've pinpointed the noise to some belt directly (if
> you're facing the engine) left of the engine.
>
> It doesn't make the noise all the time and hasn't made the noise the
> few times I've been into the shop with it. I thought it had to do
> with the cold weather, but its warm out now, and it still makes the
> noise. The noise will start when I turn on the car and will
> progressively get louder and whinier as I accelerate, but seems to
> subside at higher rpms. The noise get louder when I turn the steering
> wheel.
>
> I'd describe it as a consistent "tired" kind of sound. If I had to
> spell it, it would "waaaaaa" sound that gets louder as I press the gas
> down.
>
> Any help? This is very annoying! And the more annoying thing about
> it is that all the times I've taken it in to the dealer, it didn't act
> up and the mechanics could not find anything wrong even when I
> pointed out where I thought the noise was coming from.
>
> Thanks,

==========================
recall
Take a look at the first two under the category 'engine' he

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/pilot/index.html

Sounds like one of the two. Surprised your dealer hasn't mentioned it.

'Curly'

aidi a6 :- whining noise Stef Audi 0 July 5th 07 10:34 PM
VW 2000 Passat with whining noise [email protected] VW water cooled 3 April 8th 07 06:40 PM
2003 honda pilot transmission noise ben[_2_] Honda 1 September 17th 06 01:20 AM
E30 whining noise (back end) Pedro BMW 3 November 20th 04 07:54 AM
whining noise coming from rear Mike Ford Explorer 2 November 15th 04 06:39 AM