SVO Caliper Nightmare!!!

Old January 23rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GT5OH

Default SVO Caliper Nightmare!!!

This is a continuation of a previous post but I still have not come up
with a solution.

I still can't seem to figure out why my brake pads won't fit my SVO
73mm steel piston calipers that i bought from 50resto.com who have
been absolutely ZERO help. The best they have told me is that I need
to try to bend out the prongs on the clip on back of my pads to make
it fit the 73mm piston. Then they tell me that if I do bend them that
they will not be able to accept a return on them. So I can't use the
pads I bought AND if I try to do what THEY told me to do I can't
return them if it doesn't work. Does this sound ridiculous to anybody
else???

I am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem, I tried every
pad I could get my hands on and none fit. I think I am missing part
of the caliper but when I called 50resto to tell them they pulled one
off the shelf and said it looks just like the ones I have. I don't
know what to do anymore but return them but I still want to upgrade to
73mm piston calipers. anyone have any (other) advise???
Old January 23rd 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Fleagle

"GT5OH" > wrote in message
> This is a continuation of a previous post but I still have not come up
> with a solution.
>
> I still can't seem to figure out why my brake pads won't fit my SVO
> 73mm steel piston calipers that i bought from 50resto.com who have
> been absolutely ZERO help. The best they have told me is that I need
> to try to bend out the prongs on the clip on back of my pads to make
> it fit the 73mm piston. Then they tell me that if I do bend them that
> they will not be able to accept a return on them. So I can't use the
> pads I bought AND if I try to do what THEY told me to do I can't
> return them if it doesn't work. Does this sound ridiculous to anybody
> else???
>
> I am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem, I tried every
> pad I could get my hands on and none fit. I think I am missing part
> of the caliper but when I called 50resto to tell them they pulled one
> off the shelf and said it looks just like the ones I have. I don't
> know what to do anymore but return them but I still want to upgrade to
> 73mm piston calipers. anyone have any (other) advise???

Call up these guys, they race SVO, and are mustang experts, top notch and
honest.
They can find the part for you too.

http://www.motion-dynamics.net/

Old January 24th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_2_]

GT5OH > wrote in news:7bdb5a03-3b15-4dbc-bb5e-
:

> This is a continuation of a previous post but I still have not come up
> with a solution.
>
> I still can't seem to figure out why my brake pads won't fit my SVO
> 73mm steel piston calipers that i bought from 50resto.com who have
> been absolutely ZERO help. The best they have told me is that I need
> to try to bend out the prongs on the clip on back of my pads to make
> it fit the 73mm piston. Then they tell me that if I do bend them that
> they will not be able to accept a return on them. So I can't use the
> pads I bought AND if I try to do what THEY told me to do I can't
> return them if it doesn't work. Does this sound ridiculous to anybody
> else???
>
> I am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem, I tried every
> pad I could get my hands on and none fit. I think I am missing part
> of the caliper but when I called 50resto to tell them they pulled one
> off the shelf and said it looks just like the ones I have. I don't
> know what to do anymore but return them but I still want to upgrade to
> 73mm piston calipers. anyone have any (other) advise???

I can't really understand your post. What did you buy from 50resto - the
calipers, the pads, or both?

Why won't the pads work? Is it that there is not enough room to fit the
second pad between the piston and the rotor? Have these calipers ever
been used?

If the calipers have been used, that piston must be
COMPLETELY pushed back into it's socket. I had a hell of a time putting
new pads on my Capri because of this.

The best way of pushing the piston back is to open the bleeder valve,
then use some kind of compression clamp to push the piston in. A C-clamp
works nicely. Be prepared for a stream of fluid from the bleeder valve.
Old January 24th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GT5OH

On Jan 23, 9:02 pm, elaich <|@|.|> wrote:
> GT5OH > wrote in news:7bdb5a03-3b15-4dbc-bb5e-
> :
>

> > This is a continuation of a previous post but I still have not come up
> > with a solution.

> > I still can't seem to figure out why my brake pads won't fit my SVO
> > 73mm steel piston calipers that i bought from 50resto.com who have
> > been absolutely ZERO help. The best they have told me is that I need
> > to try to bend out the prongs on the clip on back of my pads to make
> > it fit the 73mm piston. Then they tell me that if I do bend them that
> > they will not be able to accept a return on them. So I can't use the
> > pads I bought AND if I try to do what THEY told me to do I can't
> > return them if it doesn't work. Does this sound ridiculous to anybody
> > else???

> > I am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem, I tried every
> > pad I could get my hands on and none fit. I think I am missing part
> > of the caliper but when I called 50resto to tell them they pulled one
> > off the shelf and said it looks just like the ones I have. I don't
> > know what to do anymore but return them but I still want to upgrade to
> > 73mm piston calipers. anyone have any (other) advise???

> I can't really understand your post. What did you buy from 50resto - the
> calipers, the pads, or both?
>
> Why won't the pads work? Is it that there is not enough room to fit the
> second pad between the piston and the rotor? Have these calipers ever
> been used?
>
> If the calipers have been used, that piston must be
> COMPLETELY pushed back into it's socket. I had a hell of a time putting
> new pads on my Capri because of this.
>
> The best way of pushing the piston back is to open the bleeder valve,
> then use some kind of compression clamp to push the piston in. A C-clamp
> works nicely. Be prepared for a stream of fluid from the bleeder valve.

Ok just to answer your question I did buy everything from 50Resto the
calipers are brand new....

but I did find out why the pads won't fit....

I called the manufacturer of the calipers which happens to be maximum
motorsports (which is where I should have bought them) and they told
me that 50Resto should have either sold me or added in with the
calipers an anti-rattle clip that clips onto the back of the pad to
make it fit tightly. This piece costs about $3.50 each. I am so mad
at 50Resto for not being familiar with the products they sell. They
can be sure I will not be ordering from them anytime soon. So
hopefully when I have time this weekend with $7 worth of parts I can
finally put my new brakes on....hopefully it works.

I'll let you guys know and thanks for all the help.

GT5OH
Old January 24th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"GT5OH" > wrote in message

>snip<
>
> I called the manufacturer of the calipers which happens to be maximum
> motorsports (which is where I should have bought them) and they told
> me that 50Resto should have either sold me or added in with the
> calipers an anti-rattle clip that clips onto the back of the pad to
> make it fit tightly. This piece costs about $3.50 each. I am so mad
> at 50Resto for not being familiar with the products they sell. They
> can be sure I will not be ordering from them anytime soon. So
> hopefully when I have time this weekend with $7 worth of parts I can
> finally put my new brakes on....hopefully it works.
>
> I'll let you guys know and thanks for all the help.
>
> GT5OH

Sorry to hear about your troubles with 50Resto. I've just placed my first
order with them, for a pair of door handle bezels (better not forget the
screws), both of which are cracked in the convertible.

For serious components, I like Mustangs Unlimited, but I'll be trying out
50Resto for all of those little annoyances that have popped up over the
years. I still have to replace TFrog's hood grille (the piece of plastic
just in front of the windshield), that was smashed when a tree limb came
down some years ago.

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Old January 24th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

elaich wrote:
> GT5OH > wrote in
> :
>
>> This is a continuation of a previous post but I still have not
>> come up with a solution.
>>
>> I still can't seem to figure out why my brake pads won't fit my SVO
>> 73mm steel piston calipers that i bought from 50resto.com who have
>> been absolutely ZERO help. The best they have told me is that I
>> need to try to bend out the prongs on the clip on back of my pads
>> to make it fit the 73mm piston. Then they tell me that if I do
>> bend them that they will not be able to accept a return on them.
>> So I can't use the pads I bought AND if I try to do what THEY told
>> me to do I can't return them if it doesn't work. Does this sound
>> ridiculous to anybody else???
>>
>> I am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem, I tried
>> every pad I could get my hands on and none fit. I think I am
>> missing part of the caliper but when I called 50resto to tell them
>> they pulled one off the shelf and said it looks just like the ones
>> I have. I don't know what to do anymore but return them but I
>> still want to upgrade to 73mm piston calipers. anyone have any
>> (other) advise???

> I can't really understand your post. What did you buy from 50resto
> - the calipers, the pads, or both?
>
> Why won't the pads work? Is it that there is not enough room to fit
> the second pad between the piston and the rotor? Have these
> calipers ever been used?
>
> If the calipers have been used, that piston must be
> COMPLETELY pushed back into it's socket. I had a hell of a time
> putting new pads on my Capri because of this.
>
> The best way of pushing the piston back is to open the bleeder
> valve, then use some kind of compression clamp to push the piston
> in. A C-clamp works nicely. Be prepared for a stream of fluid from
> the bleeder valve.

I have a ball-peen hammer. The short dimension of its oval wooden
handle fits between the sides of the opening that need separating. The
wide dimension does an adequate separation when the hammer head is
used as a grip to twist the handle.

Saved a trip to the tool store.

--
Frank ess

Old January 25th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GT5OH

On Jan 24, 11:37 am, "dwight" > wrote:
> "GT5OH" > wrote in message

> >snip<

> > I called the manufacturer of the calipers which happens to be maximum
> > motorsports (which is where I should have bought them) and they told
> > me that 50Resto should have either sold me or added in with the
> > calipers an anti-rattle clip that clips onto the back of the pad to
> > make it fit tightly. This piece costs about $3.50 each. I am so mad
> > at 50Resto for not being familiar with the products they sell. They
> > can be sure I will not be ordering from them anytime soon. So
> > hopefully when I have time this weekend with $7 worth of parts I can
> > finally put my new brakes on....hopefully it works.

> > I'll let you guys know and thanks for all the help.

> > GT5OH

> Sorry to hear about your troubles with 50Resto. I've just placed my first
> order with them, for a pair of door handle bezels (better not forget the
> screws), both of which are cracked in the convertible.
>
> For serious components, I like Mustangs Unlimited, but I'll be trying out
> 50Resto for all of those little annoyances that have popped up over the
> years. I still have to replace TFrog's hood grille (the piece of plastic
> just in front of the windshield), that was smashed when a tree limb came
> down some years ago.
>
> dwightwww.tfrog.com

Yeah I have actually ordered from them many times with no problems
(mostly for that small cosmetic stuff too) so I guess you are right
about ordering the more serious parts from somewhere else because they
seem to not be very knowledgeable about some of their parts... I guess
I will remember that next time! And hopefully I can get my brakes put
on this weekend with no trouble...

Sean
Old January 30th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

Try using pads for a Lincoln LSC or Crown VIC. (Cars that came standard
with 73mm calipers)