Caliper Repair Nothing Else

Old October 31st 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Caliper Repair Nothing Else

Need your help:
My wife took her 2006 Cadillac SRX with 45K miles to the dealer for
regular oil/tire rotation. We did not mention anything about any brake
issues, yet they "sold" her new calipers, nothing else related to
brakes. No pads, no rotors, nothing...
I believe the brake pads were replaced and rotors resurfaced about 25K
miles ago...though i'm not sure. Is it common/acceptable to replace
calipers, but nothing else? Is this a "wear" item or should it be
covered by warranty? How would they diagnose bad calipers if not for
worn pads and/or rotors?
Thanks for your help.
Suckered...i think.

Old November 1st 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

The don't get the name $tealerships for nothing....

I had to change my original calipers at 145,000 miles on one Jeep and
310K km on the other because the bleeders froze up, well rotted up but
same thing.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old November 2nd 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Mike Romain > wrote in news:4729e339$0$5282
:

> The don't get the name $tealerships for nothing....
>
> I had to change my original calipers at 145,000 miles on one Jeep and
> 310K km on the other because the bleeders froze up, well rotted up but
> same thing.

Gotta loosen those bleeders at least once a year. That way they don't seize
up.

I'm still running the original calipers and bleeders on my '91 Integra,
seventeen years and close to 500,000 kilometers. The internals were
replaced by me a few years ago, but the body and bleeders are still
original. The bleeders are as free as birds. But then I flush my brake
fluid every year...

--
Tegger

Old November 2nd 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Tegger wrote:
> Mike Romain > wrote in news:4729e339$0$5282
> :
>

>>The don't get the name $tealerships for nothing....
>>
>>I had to change my original calipers at 145,000 miles on one Jeep and
>>310K km on the other because the bleeders froze up, well rotted up but
>>same thing.
>>

> Gotta loosen those bleeders at least once a year. That way they don't seize
> up.
>
> I'm still running the original calipers and bleeders on my '91 Integra,
> seventeen years and close to 500,000 kilometers. The internals were
> replaced by me a few years ago, but the body and bleeders are still
> original. The bleeders are as free as birds. But then I flush my brake
> fluid every year...

Also the little rubber caps like VW and Porsche (and maybe others?) use
keep water out and don't let the bleeders rust from the inside.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 2nd 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Nate Nagel > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:
>> Mike Romain > wrote in news:4729e339$0$5282
>> :
>>

>>>The don't get the name $tealerships for nothing....
>>>
>>>I had to change my original calipers at 145,000 miles on one Jeep and
>>>310K km on the other because the bleeders froze up, well rotted up
>>>but same thing.
>>>

>> Gotta loosen those bleeders at least once a year. That way they don't
>> seize up.
>>
>> I'm still running the original calipers and bleeders on my '91
>> Integra, seventeen years and close to 500,000 kilometers. The
>> internals were replaced by me a few years ago, but the body and
>> bleeders are still original. The bleeders are as free as birds. But
>> then I flush my brake fluid every year...
>>

> Also the little rubber caps like VW and Porsche (and maybe others?)
> use keep water out and don't let the bleeders rust from the inside.

That too.

Every so often I check to make sure those caps are still there. I also have
spares just in case one gets lost for some reason (like when I knock one
off and it rolls into the bushes at the edge of the driveway).

I like to put a bit of Sil-Glyde in the cap before I push it onto the bleed
screw. This helps keep water and rust out of the bleeder.

And hey, I've got less than 5,000 miles to go before I hit 300,000! Current
odometer reading is 474,800 km, which is slightly over 295,000 miles. And
my oil consumption is STILL improving (1,900 mi/qt at last check).

--
Tegger

Old November 2nd 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Tegger wrote:
> Mike Romain > wrote in news:4729e339$0$5282
> :
>
>> The don't get the name $tealerships for nothing....
>>
>> I had to change my original calipers at 145,000 miles on one Jeep and
>> 310K km on the other because the bleeders froze up, well rotted up but
>> same thing.
>>

> Gotta loosen those bleeders at least once a year. That way they don't seize
> up.
>
> I'm still running the original calipers and bleeders on my '91 Integra,
> seventeen years and close to 500,000 kilometers. The internals were
> replaced by me a few years ago, but the body and bleeders are still
> original. The bleeders are as free as birds. But then I flush my brake
> fluid every year...

I generally pull the bleeders, clean them, put a small dab of never
seize on the threads. Then bleed the brakes and once done I grab a
candle and coat the bleeder with melted wax. Never had one seize that way.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York