Dana 30 front wheel bearings

Old July 3rd 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
KayakBill

Default Dana 30 front wheel bearings

'73 CJ-5, Dana 30 front-end... got the wheel bearings from AutoZone (2
per wheel, an inner and an outer). They have them listed as the same,
but the race for the outer is sloppy in the hub. The hub obviously
hasn't been "wallered out" (as these local Tennesseans would say) but
there's at least 3/32" of cleareance in what should be a pres-fit.
Anyone know the right outer-bearing, or do I need to just make a
press-fit bushing and bore it to press-fit the race into? (been maching
to within a few tenth's tolerance for many years)

Thanks in advance for your help...

Bill -

Old July 3rd 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

They look the same:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...51&p g=1&pg=1
Looks like you've got some machining to do.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 3rd 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

They sure are different bearings in my CJ7's D30! They look close,
but....

I just replaced my inner and got a bearing at NAPA. The box says BR50
with these numbers: LM102949 and LM102910. One number would be the cage
and the other the race.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 3rd 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Mike,
I know they are different on the Dana 44s, they look similar, but
have a different cone angle, and fortunately for me the outer will not
slide all the way on the spindle.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 3rd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

The spindle is bigger for the inside one too, I just looked at a spare
spindle. The inner bearing slips on easy up to the end, then it press
fits the last 3/4" on the spindle.

Mike

Old July 4th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

On my '81 CJ5, the wheel bearings are different.

I had a spare set to read the numbers from, but I musta installed them ...

ups.com...

Old July 4th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
KayakBill

I appreciate everyone's input. Think I'm gonna make a bushing at work
tomorrow night. I've been researching this all weekend, everything I
find lists the inner and outer bearings as the same. Gonna bore a
piece of pre-heat-treated 4130, tap the race into it, then turn the OD
about .002" over the hub bore before cutting it off and pressing it
into the hub. That should keep this thin-walled SOB from springing
out-of-round.

Happy fourth, everyone. Y'all be safe...

Old July 4th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

How are you going to make the bearing fit over the spindle? It won't in
my Dana 30.

I gave you the correct part numbers for the bearing and race....

Mike

Old July 4th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
KayakBill

**** I didn't even think about the inner race ID or spindle OD... I'll
run those numbers thru the guys at NAPA.. Thanks, Mike,,,

Old July 4th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
KayakBill

we ALL experience brain-farts sometimes...

front wheel bearings cj Dodge 2 November 22nd 05 04:30 AM
Geo Metro R wheel bearings keep failing JOHN D Technology 7 February 2nd 05 12:17 AM
75 front wheel bearings and ball joints Catman Alfa Romeo 2 October 27th 04 06:55 AM
A4 - Front Wheel Bearings ? Graeme Audi 1 July 15th 04 12:47 PM