Mexico City orders officials to ride bike to work first monday ofeach month

Old April 2nd 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default Mexico City orders officials to ride bike to work first monday ofeach month

http://mexiconews.com.mx/miami/24016.html

Capital officials ordered to commute on bikes

Ebrard says itīs mandatory, not an option, that Mexico City officials
ride their bicycles to the office on Monday

Lunes 02 de abril de 2007
Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard has reminded capital government
personnel that on Monday they should ride their bikes to work.

This is an order, not an option, he said last week.

Later, he met with administration secretaries, sub-secretaries, and
general directors and told them not to take his cycling program lightly.

The city will collapse if measures are not taken soon to make the roads
more bike-friendly, Ebrard said. As a result, more than 200 city
government officials must set an example, and travel to work on the
Metro or some other form of public transpotation.

In early February, Ebrard announced that the first Monday of every
month, all top level officials would be required to commute by bicycle,
to promote pollution and encourage the use of bike paths.

The mayor asked city officials and employees who live far from the city
center to take the Metro or Metrobus part of the way, and then switch to
bicycle-power.

Some officials will ride in groups, departing from meeting points in the
Polanco, Condesa, Roma and Del Valle neighborhoods.

Regarding statements made by the city attorney general and public
security secretary that they are reluctant to participate, Ebrard said
everyone had to comply with the order.

"If they are opposed for reasons of security, then Iīd suggest they
donīt publicize the route they plan to take," Ebrard said. "Anyway, a
big SUV is more visible than a bicycle."

Ebrard said a primary goal is to demonstrate the viability of bicycles
as a means of transportation in the city. He also said the city will
soon build a bike station on the Eje Central specifically for city
employees.

The mayor even said he would allow employees to commute by bici-taxi or
via roller skates.

"Motorcycles will not be acceptable, however," he said.
Old April 2nd 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
nash

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
message link.net...
> http://mexiconews.com.mx/miami/24016.html
>
> Capital officials ordered to commute on bikes
>
> Ebrard says itīs mandatory, not an option, that Mexico City officials ride
> their bicycles to the office on Monday
>
> Lunes 02 de abril de 2007
> Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard has reminded capital government personnel
> that on Monday they should ride their bikes to work.
>
> This is an order, not an option, he said last week.
>
> Later, he met with administration secretaries, sub-secretaries, and
> general directors and told them not to take his cycling program lightly.
>
> The city will collapse if measures are not taken soon to make the roads
> more bike-friendly, Ebrard said. As a result, more than 200 city
> government officials must set an example, and travel to work on the Metro
> or some other form of public transpotation.
>
> In early February, Ebrard announced that the first Monday of every month,
> all top level officials would be required to commute by bicycle, to
> promote pollution and encourage the use of bike paths.
>
> The mayor asked city officials and employees who live far from the city
> center to take the Metro or Metrobus part of the way, and then switch to
> bicycle-power.
>
> Some officials will ride in groups, departing from meeting points in the
> Polanco, Condesa, Roma and Del Valle neighborhoods.
>
> Regarding statements made by the city attorney general and public security
> secretary that they are reluctant to participate, Ebrard said everyone had
> to comply with the order.
>
> "If they are opposed for reasons of security, then Iīd suggest they donīt
> publicize the route they plan to take," Ebrard said. "Anyway, a big SUV is
> more visible than a bicycle."
>
> Ebrard said a primary goal is to demonstrate the viability of bicycles as
> a means of transportation in the city. He also said the city will soon
> build a bike station on the Eje Central specifically for city employees.
>
> The mayor even said he would allow employees to commute by bici-taxi or
> via roller skates.
>
> "Motorcycles will not be acceptable, however," he said.

Might decommission some for life. Sort of natural selection

Old April 2nd 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Mike T.

>> Ebrard said a primary goal is to demonstrate the viability of bicycles as
>> a means of transportation in the city. He also said the city will soon
>> build a bike station on the Eje Central specifically for city employees.
>>
>> The mayor even said he would allow employees to commute by bici-taxi or
>> via roller skates.
>>
>> "Motorcycles will not be acceptable, however," he said.

Why the **** not? Do these yahoos know what motorcycles ARE??? Hint to
clueless: motorcycles used to be pedal powered. Seems silly to mandate
bicycles be used and then outlaw powered bicycles. -Dave

Old April 2nd 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
nash

"Mike T." > wrote in message
reenews.net...
>>> Ebrard said a primary goal is to demonstrate the viability of bicycles
>>> as a means of transportation in the city. He also said the city will
>>> soon build a bike station on the Eje Central specifically for city
>>> employees.
>>>
>>> The mayor even said he would allow employees to commute by bici-taxi or
>>> via roller skates.
>>>
>>> "Motorcycles will not be acceptable, however," he said.

> Why the **** not? Do these yahoos know what motorcycles ARE??? Hint to
> clueless: motorcycles used to be pedal powered. Seems silly to mandate
> bicycles be used and then outlaw powered bicycles. -Dave

They are polluters Dave. try to keep a focus

Old April 2nd 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh

nash wrote:

> Might decommission some for life. Sort of natural selection

This is a good idea but we'll never see it in america. Our officials
take the view sacrifices are for the little people, not elitists like
themselves.
Old April 2nd 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Wayne Pein

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> http://mexiconews.com.mx/miami/24016.html
>
> Capital officials ordered to commute on bikes
>
> Ebrard says itīs mandatory, not an option, that Mexico City officials
> ride their bicycles to the office on Monday
>
> Lunes 02 de abril de 2007
> Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard has reminded capital government
> personnel that on Monday they should ride their bikes to work.
>
> This is an order, not an option, he said last week.
>
> Later, he met with administration secretaries, sub-secretaries, and
> general directors and told them not to take his cycling program lightly.
>
> The city will collapse if measures are not taken soon to make the roads
> more bike-friendly, Ebrard said. As a result, more than 200 city
> government officials must set an example, and travel to work on the
> Metro or some other form of public transpotation.
>
> In early February, Ebrard announced that the first Monday of every
> month, all top level officials would be required to commute by bicycle,
> to promote pollution and encourage the use of bike paths.

Promote pollution? Obvious editiorial snafu.

Encourage use of bike paths? Yea, a few bicyclists in a city of 20
million that are forced to ride are going encourage others to ride on
what is likey a crappy bike path. Ha.

Forcing people to ride a bike is comparable to old school lunkhead gym
teachers giving pushups as punishment.

Wayne

Old April 2nd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Mike T.

>> Why the **** not? Do these yahoos know what motorcycles ARE??? Hint to
>> clueless: motorcycles used to be pedal powered. Seems silly to mandate
>> bicycles be used and then outlaw powered bicycles. -Dave

> They are polluters Dave. try to keep a focus

I am keeping a focus. Encouraging motorcycle use is a good strategy if the
stated goal is reducing pollution. ESPECIALLY outside the U.S. In the
U.S., HUGE motorcycle engines of ~500cc or larger are considered by most
U.S. motorcycle riders to be "comically puny". Yet even in the U.S., -most-
motorcycles produce a small fraction of the pollution of a car or
UV. -Dave

Old April 2nd 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Speeders & Drunk
Drivers are MURDERERS puked in rec.autos.driving:
> nash wrote:
>

> > Might decommission some for life. Sort of natural selection

> This is a good idea but we'll never see it in america. Our officials
> take the view sacrifices are for the little people, not elitists like
> themselves.

You just now figuring that out?? What did you do grow a new brain cell
overnight?

--
Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS supports the troops again:
"Screw that 'he's just doing his job' justification. That's what the

Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS
(A.k.a: LBMHB/lb-VH/am/POA etc...)
1/7/2007, 1118 hours.

Ref: http://tinyurl.com/y7c5ah
Message ID:
Old April 2nd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
landotter

On Apr 2, 1:01 pm, "Mike T." > wrote:

> >> Why the **** not? Do these yahoos know what motorcycles ARE??? Hint to
> >> clueless: motorcycles used to be pedal powered. Seems silly to mandate
> >> bicycles be used and then outlaw powered bicycles. -Dave

> > They are polluters Dave. try to keep a focus

> I am keeping a focus. Encouraging motorcycle use is a good strategy if the
> stated goal is reducing pollution. ESPECIALLY outside the U.S. In the
> U.S., HUGE motorcycle engines of ~500cc or larger are considered by most
> U.S. motorcycle riders to be "comically puny". Yet even in the U.S., -most-
> motorcycles produce a small fraction of the pollution of a car or
> UV.

Really? Last I checked, motorbikes in the states weren't required to
be emissions tested, and mostly use olde carburetor technology. I'd
venture to guess that a Honda Accord is going to be much cleaner than
an average new 1000cc bike. Bike might put out a bit less CO2, but
that's not the only thing to worry about--I mean, who's putting
catalytic converters on bikes?

That said, I find riding motorbikes quite fun, just not green. :-P

Old April 2nd 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Larry Bud

On Apr 2, 12:06 pm, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> wrote:
> nash wrote:
>
> > Might decommission some for life. Sort of natural selection

> This is a good idea but we'll never see it in america. Our officials
> take the view sacrifices are for the little people, not elitists like
> themselves.

You're free to start biking to work every Monday.

Oh that's right, you're a hypocrite, you'll never do it.