1997 350 Vortec starting issues

Old November 20th 05, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default 1997 350 Vortec starting issues

ok 1997 Chevy 350 Vortec ......here's what happens. Starts fine when
ran daily BUT if it sits for a few days , go to start it , she turns
over but no start.....go back and try it again in 1-2 hours fires
right up...any ideas in the group? Thanks in advance.
Old November 20th 05, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Scan Da Bands wrote:
> ok 1997 Chevy 350 Vortec ......here's what happens. Starts fine when
> ran daily BUT if it sits for a few days , go to start it , she turns
> over but no start.....go back and try it again in 1-2 hours fires
> right up...any ideas in the group? Thanks in advance.

Check fuel pressure and filter and maybe check for water in fuel too.

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
Old November 20th 05, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:25:26 GMT, Scan Da Bands >
wrote:

>ok 1997 Chevy 350 Vortec ......here's what happens. Starts fine when
>ran daily BUT if it sits for a few days , go to start it , she turns
>over but no start.....go back and try it again in 1-2 hours fires
>right up...any ideas in the group? Thanks in advance.

Fuel pressure bleeding down? What happens if you turn the key on (and
don't start it) for 15 seconds, and then do this two or three more
times, and then try and start it? In theory, this would repressurize
the fuel system.

If it's a loss of fuel pressure, I'd guess the problem has to do with
the injector lines. I believe they are similar to the ones used on
the 4.3 in my van and don't last forever.

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
(and 96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion)
Old November 21st 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Matt AND Snow , appreciate the responses 100%

Old November 22nd 05, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Matt Mead > writes in article > dated Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:53:47 -0800:
>On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:25:26 GMT, Scan Da Bands >
>wrote:
>
>>ok 1997 Chevy 350 Vortec ......here's what happens. Starts fine when
>>ran daily BUT if it sits for a few days , go to start it , she turns
>>over but no start.....go back and try it again in 1-2 hours fires
>>right up...any ideas in the group? Thanks in advance.

>Fuel pressure bleeding down? What happens if you turn the key on (and
>don't start it) for 15 seconds, and then do this two or three more
>times, and then try and start it? In theory, this would repressurize
>the fuel system.

I agree but...

The timeout on GM's from that era is a lot less than 15 seconds, more like 2
seconds. Turn the key on for 2 seconds, off for 2 seconds, on for 2
seconds, off for 2 seconds, then try cranking.

>If it's a loss of fuel pressure, I'd guess the problem has to do with
>the injector lines. I believe they are similar to the ones used on
>the 4.3 in my van and don't last forever.

A tiny leak anywhere in the fuel system could do it.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.