overheating

Old November 12th 05, 01:24 AM
bigjer

Default overheating

96 f-150 5.0. temp goes up then goes down and keeps repeating this. plus
slow loss of fluid. can't find any leaks.put new radiator cap, but still
the same.what all should I check? help please. thank you, bigjer

Old November 12th 05, 01:34 AM
Elbert

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:24:42 -0500, "bigjer" >
wrote:

>96 f-150 5.0. temp goes up then goes down and keeps repeating this. plus
>slow loss of fluid. can't find any leaks.put new radiator cap, but still
>the same.what all should I check? help please. thank you, bigjer

have the system pressure tested? Can you determine where the fluid is
leaking? I would replace the thermostat and gasket after you do the
above. If you are loosing coolant its going somewhere.... do you
smell coolant under the hood when the engine is warmed up?
---
Elbert Clarke

remove ** to email

Old November 12th 05, 01:21 PM
TheSnoMan

Check for proper operation of clutch fan too because its failure can
cause overheating problems.

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
Old November 12th 05, 04:58 PM
bigjer

yes I smell coolant when its warm, but I still can't find a leak. I'm going
to get it pressure checked.

Old November 17th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

"bigjer" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> yes I smell coolant when its warm, but I still can't find a leak. I'm

going
> to get it pressure checked.

Any white smoke when you first start it up? If you can't find the leak then
it might be getting inside the engine via a leaking intake manifold or head
gasket or cracked head etc.