Stolen '68 Westfalia

Old December 3rd 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.maker.vw.aircooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ben Goren[_1_]

Default Stolen '68 Westfalia

Sometime between about 9:30 last night and 10:30 this morning, my
'68 Westfalia pop-top was stolen from in front of my apartment
near Priest & University in Tempe, Arizona. I'd very, very, very
much appreciate any leads as to where it is...my parents got it in
'79, and it's the first car I ever drove....

It's white with a black stripe around the middle (that raised bit
that hides the sliding door mechanism, etc.). The fiberglass of
the top is patched at the very rear with some reddish-brown
material. There's a year-old dent near the driver's side air
intake from a drive-by SUV mirror strike. The rear bumper is a bit
crinkled, and there's a little bit of buckling on the front of the
car as well. It's got a front-mounted spare (which isn't in any
shape to be driven on except for dire emergencies). The front of
the pop-top is held down with some extra brass latches right above
the windshield.

There's a solar panel mounted on the top, with leads going to a
buss bar behind the driver's seat and to the engine compartment
(where, many years ago, we once had a deep-cycle battery on the
opposite side from the regular battery). The rear-facing seat has
a port-a-potty in it. There's a spice rack where the table
normally swings down; the table is stowed above the bed / back
seat and still mounts in the same spot. The manual water pump is
supplemented with a (broken-down but fixable) electric pump.

There's a week-old exhaust leak that I was going to have fixed
this coming week; the car is quite loud right now. Also, the rear
brakes need a fair amount of work, possibly replacement. It's due
for a valve adjustment / tune-up / oil change / etc.; the car's
not too likely to make it far without at least a little bit of
work.

So, like I said, I'd really, really, really appreciate any
help anybody might be able to offer. Feel free to call me at
480-966-9472 any time. If you reply by email, please also post a
note to the group in case an over-eager spam catcher blocks it.

Thanks....

b&

--
EAC Memographer
BAAWA Knight of Blasphemy

Old December 4th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.maker.vw.aircooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scott H

"Ben Goren" wrote ...
> Sometime between about 9:30 last night and 10:30 this morning, my
> '68 Westfalia pop-top was stolen from in front of my apartment
> near Priest & University in Tempe, Arizona. I'd very, very, very
> much appreciate any leads as to where it is...my parents got it in
> '79, and it's the first car I ever drove....
>
> It's white with a black stripe around the middle (that raised bit
> that hides the sliding door mechanism, etc.). The fiberglass of
> the top is patched at the very rear with some reddish-brown
> material. There's a year-old dent near the driver's side air
> intake from a drive-by SUV mirror strike. The rear bumper is a bit
> crinkled, and there's a little bit of buckling on the front of the
> car as well. It's got a front-mounted spare (which isn't in any
> shape to be driven on except for dire emergencies). The front of
> the pop-top is held down with some extra brass latches right above
> the windshield.
>
> There's a solar panel mounted on the top, with leads going to a
> buss bar behind the driver's seat and to the engine compartment
> (where, many years ago, we once had a deep-cycle battery on the
> opposite side from the regular battery). The rear-facing seat has
> a port-a-potty in it. There's a spice rack where the table
> normally swings down; the table is stowed above the bed / back
> seat and still mounts in the same spot. The manual water pump is
> supplemented with a (broken-down but fixable) electric pump.
>
> There's a week-old exhaust leak that I was going to have fixed
> this coming week; the car is quite loud right now. Also, the rear
> brakes need a fair amount of work, possibly replacement. It's due
> for a valve adjustment / tune-up / oil change / etc.; the car's
> not too likely to make it far without at least a little bit of
> work.
>
> So, like I said, I'd really, really, really appreciate any
> help anybody might be able to offer. Feel free to call me at
> 480-966-9472 any time. If you reply by email, please also post a
> note to the group in case an over-eager spam catcher blocks it.
>
> Thanks....
>
> b&
>
> --
> EAC Memographer
> BAAWA Knight of Blasphemy
> ``All but God can prove this sentence true.''

You can post a picture here to get the word out a little mo
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb....php?cat_id=53

Good luck.

--
Scott

Old December 5th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ben Goren

Scott H wrote:

> Ben Goren wrote:
>
>> Sometime between about 9:30 last night and 10:30 this morning,
>> my '68 Westfalia pop-top was stolen from in front of my
>> apartment near Priest & University in Tempe, Arizona. I'd very,
>> very, very much appreciate any leads as to where it is...my
>> parents got it in '79, and it's the first car I ever drove....

> You can post a picture here to get the word out a little mo
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb....php?cat_id=53
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the link and the wishes for luck. I just posted a
picture there. Here's hoping it does some good....

Thanks,

b&

Old December 6th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DinnerAtMoes

Damn. I hope that you Westy is returned.

http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/pr...iew/?id=350522

Put this kit together to keep my ride from being taken. It has worked.
Twice.

Old December 24th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.maker.vw.aircooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ben Goren[_1_]

She's been found! I got a call late yesterday (Saturday, Christmas
Eve eve) afternoon from the Tempe police telling me that the
Phoenix police had found her! Somebody in south Phoenix (south of
Broadway between 32nd and 48th streets) reported an ``abandoned''
car, and it's mine.

The impound lot is closed up until Tuesday, what with Christmas
and all, so I won't know until then what kind of shape she's
in. But the police report supposedly says something to the
effect that there's no obvious sign of damage or stripping or
whatever...though the Tempe officer who called me said that she's
``not driveable.'' With luck, that's just due to lack of gas,
but my insurance will cover damage (including, for example, a
``missing'' engine) if there is any. And I've got a damned good
mechanic, so I'm not worried about getting her fixed up proper.

Makes me wonder if there really /is/ a Santa Claus. Best present I
could ask for...short of not having her stolen in the first place,
of course.

So thanks, everybody, for keeping your eyes out and for all the
kind words. With any luck, the next white '68 VW Westy pop-top you
see on the road will have me sitting behind the wheel.

Cheers,

b&

P.S. If you put up flyers or told other people, thank you! Thank
you very much! But do please now take down the flyers and cancel
the red alert.... b&

(Here's the original note

Old December 25th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.maker.vw.aircooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Ben Goren wrote:
> [...]
> > a port-a-potty in it. There's a spice rack where the table
> > normally swings down; the table is stowed above the bed / back
> > seat and still mounts in the same spot. The manual water pump is
> > supplemented with a (broken-down but fixable) electric pump.
> >
> > There's a week-old exhaust leak that I was going to have fixed
> > this coming week; the car is quite loud right now. Also, the rear
> > brakes need a fair amount of work, possibly replacement. It's due
> > for a valve adjustment / tune-up / oil change / etc.; the car's
> > not too likely to make it far without at least a little bit of
> > work.
> >
> > So, like I said, I'd really, really, really appreciate any
> > help anybody might be able to offer. Feel free to call me at
> > 480-966-9472 any time. If you reply by email, please also post a
> > note to the group in case an over-eager spam catcher blocks it.

Excellent news!

Santa DOES exist!

Jan
Old December 25th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.maker.vw.aircooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

Thats Great !!!

I'm realy pleased for you :-)

Rich

Old December 25th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.maker.vw.aircooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

yep congrats to you!!!!
probably a torn up ign switch.
keep us informed

Have a Happy Holiday!!! ;-)

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Stolen Jeep update Carl Jeep 12 December 31st 05 07:47 PM
Westfalia Owners Web SIte's Free Classifieds Have Moved Westfalia Owners Web Site VW water cooled 0 December 9th 05 08:45 PM
Westfalia Owners Web SIte's Free Classifieds Have Moved Westfalia Owners Web Site VW air cooled 0 December 9th 05 08:42 PM
Looking for a Westfalia newsgroup Ben Fullerton VW water cooled 5 August 14th 05 07:22 AM
Md.: Carjack suspect reports 'his' car stolen John David Galt Driving 3 May 7th 05 04:06 AM