Once the king of SUVs, Ford Explorer lightens up for 30% boost in mpg

Old July 20th 10, 01:36 AM posted to alt.auto.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.makers.ford.truck
C. E. White[_3_]

Default Once the king of SUVs, Ford Explorer lightens up for 30% boost in mpg

Once the king of SUVs, Ford Explorer lightens up for 30% boost in mpg
David Phillips
Automotive News -- July 19, 2010 - 2:48 pm ET

DETROIT -- It's diet time for the once best-selling SUV in America.

The redesigned Ford Explorer has been slimmed down for 2011 and transferred
to a car-based platform. And it no longer will be a gas-guzzling hulk with a
V-8 under the hood.

Ford Motor Co. said today that the redesigned 2011 model -- equipped with an
optional, two-liter EcoBoost I4 engine -- will achieve a 30 percent increase
in fuel efficiency compared with the current V-6-equipped Explorer. EcoBoost
has delivered similar fuel economy gains in other cars and trucks.

The next Explorer will use the same platform as the new Ford Taurus and
Lincoln MKS sedans and the Ford Flex crossover. The Explorer also will offer
third-row seats as standard equipment.

Americans -- once in love with truck-based SUVs -- are now gravitating to
crossovers that combine the roominess of SUVs with the nimbleness and fuel
economy of cars and wagons.

The Explorer -- offering just the I4 and a 3.5-liter V-6 engine -- goes on
sale this year. Both engines will be paired with a six-speed automatic
transmission for extra fuel economy.

The current Explorer equipped with two-wheel drive and a four-liter V-6 is
rated at 14 mpg city/20 highway. With a 30 percent increase in fuel economy,
the EcoBoost-equipped Explorer should deliver 18/26.

Ford engineers used lighter and stronger high-strength steels such as boron
to add durability and reduce weight on the new Explorer. Other weight-saving
moves include an aluminum hood and a one-piece composite front bolster --
the radiator support between engine and grille -- that is 65 percent
lighter, Ford said.

"We believe we've hit the mark with the next-generation Explorer," Mark
Fields, head of Ford's Americas unit, said in statement. "It has the
potential to change perceptions of what a modern SUV is all about."

New engine controls, electric power-assisted steering, advanced battery
management and what Ford calls aggressive deceleration fuel shutoff also
will help reduce gas consumption.

Read mo
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...100719852/1427

Old July 20th 10, 08:18 AM posted to alt.auto.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.makers.ford.truck
CWLee

Default Wonderful New For Explorer!

"C. E. White" > wrote:

"The new Ford Explorer is the best thing since sliced
bread" - or something like that.

I have two questions:

1. Does it have a full-sized spare? Yes or no, not a sales
pitch on how good the tires are.

2. Do the engines have timing belts, or timing chains?

Thanks.

Old July 20th 10, 12:55 PM posted to alt.auto.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.makers.ford.truck
C. E. White[_2_]

"CWLee" > wrote in message
m...

> "C. E. White" > wrote:
>
> "The new Ford Explorer is the best thing since sliced bread" - or
> something like that.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Does it have a full-sized spare? Yes or no, not a sales pitch on how
> good the tires are.

I don't know for sure, but assume it will.

> 2. Do the engines have timing belts, or timing chains?

Chains.

Ed