Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

Old December 3rd 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
ben91932

Default Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

> > Thanks

> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
>
> Excellent discussion.

Thats a good site with good info.
You cant go wrong with using exactly what the manufacturer recommends.
Ben
Old December 4th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Tomes[_2_]

"Ray O" ...
> "SMS" ...
>> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>> SMS:
>>>
>>> This is unfortunately a known issue on these cars. But in Driver's Ed,
>>> didn't your nephew get taught to run his eyes across the gauges every
>>> couple minutes and make sure everything was okay? You gotta watch them.

>> There is no more driver's ed in schools.
>>

> Our local high school still offers driver's ed.

Not here in NJ anymore. My daughter starts her paid and mandatory driving
lessons on Saturday (even though she has been driving the Jeep around the
back property for years now).
Tomes

Old December 4th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Steve[_1_]

Brent wrote:

> with computer controls it would be entirely software to shut down the
> car now.

And the first time someone gets killed because he didn't have the choice
of sacrificing his engine to get to a safe spot....

The final decision should rest with the driver. But the driver should
KNOW what the implications of that decision are.
Old December 4th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
SMS

Brent wrote:

> with computer controls it would be entirely software to shut down the
> car now.

That's too dangerous. An audible warning when the engine temperature or
oil pressure is getting close to the danger level would be sufficient.

A smoke alarm doesn't require that you constantly check a gauge or a
light for the level of smoke before you hear the alarm.

Old December 4th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
SMS

Ray O wrote:
> "SMS" > wrote in message
>> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>> This is unfortunately a known issue on these cars. But in Driver's Ed,
>>> didn't your nephew get taught to run his eyes across the gauges every
>>> couple minutes and make sure everything was okay? You gotta watch them.

>> There is no more driver's ed in schools.
>>

> Our local high school still offers driver's ed.

Wow, where's that?

When I think back to drivers ed in high school, where we'd go four to a
car on the regular roads, with two students in the back seat, while
another student drove, and the instructor was riding shotgun, I can just
imagine the screams of horror by parents if this were to happen today.
Old December 4th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Vic Smith

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 10:10:30 -0800, SMS >
wrote:

>Ray O wrote:
>>> There is no more driver's ed in schools.
>>>

>> Our local high school still offers driver's ed.

>Wow, where's that?
>
>When I think back to drivers ed in high school, where we'd go four to a
>car on the regular roads, with two students in the back seat, while
>another student drove, and the instructor was riding shotgun, I can just
>imagine the screams of horror by parents if this were to happen today.

As far as I know driver's ed is still a HS graduation requirement in
Illinois.
So when you say "There is no more driver's ed in schools" you may only
be talking about California. Or maybe you just don't know.
Remember, you have to look at the big picture.

--Vic
Old December 4th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Frank ess

Steve wrote:
> Brent wrote:
>
>> with computer controls it would be entirely software to shut down
>> the car now.

> And the first time someone gets killed because he didn't have the
> choice of sacrificing his engine to get to a safe spot....
>
> The final decision should rest with the driver. But the driver
> should KNOW what the implications of that decision are.

You'd expect that to be true in every aspect of motoring, and "on
average" it's true -- isn't it? Seems to be working out
satisfactorily, or the society would change standards for
participation as a driver -- wouldn't it?

--
Frank ess

Old December 4th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Brent[_4_]

On 2008-12-04, Steve > wrote:
> Brent wrote:
>
>> with computer controls it would be entirely software to shut down the
>> car now.

> And the first time someone gets killed because he didn't have the choice
> of sacrificing his engine to get to a safe spot....

I wasn't implying a hard cut off, 'now' meant in the present day.

Old December 4th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Ray O[_2_]

"SMS" > wrote in message
> Ray O wrote:
>>> There is no more driver's ed in schools.
>>>

>> Our local high school still offers driver's ed.

> Wow, where's that?

Outside of Chicago, IL

> When I think back to drivers ed in high school, where we'd go four to a
> car on the regular roads, with two students in the back seat, while
> another student drove, and the instructor was riding shotgun, I can just
> imagine the screams of horror by parents if this were to happen today.

I think that is still how driver's ed happens here.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old December 4th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
E. Meyer

On 12/4/08 12:32 PM, in article ,
"Vic Smith" > wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 10:10:30 -0800, SMS >
> wrote:
>
>> Ray O wrote:
>>>>

>>> Our local high school still offers driver's ed.

>> Wow, where's that?
>>
>> When I think back to drivers ed in high school, where we'd go four to a
>> car on the regular roads, with two students in the back seat, while
>> another student drove, and the instructor was riding shotgun, I can just
>> imagine the screams of horror by parents if this were to happen today.

> As far as I know driver's ed is still a HS graduation requirement in
> Illinois.

When did they start doing that? It certainly was not a graduation
requirement in Illinois when I went to high school there. It was offered in
most schools, but only as an extra cost after school activity.