who killed the electric car

Old June 15th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default who killed the electric car

saw this movie "who killed the electric car" at sundance film fest.

i have made it my mission to get the word out about this movie no
matter how deep in the grass roots I have to go!

www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com

a reviewer at the same screening I was at said this:

I saw "Who Killed the Electric Car?" at Sundance and I agree with A.O.
Scott's review in the NY Times: I haven't seen a crowd go that nuts in
I don't know how long ... multiple standing ovations ... a woman who,
during the Q&A with director Chris Paine, declared that she didn't
actually have a question, but "damn you for making me cry over a car!"

apparently the necessary science and technology is already available to
reverse global warming but GM and uncle sam are literally shredding it.

yet we the people have the power!

the uplifting bit is about how a modern American Revolution, as well as
piecing the environment back together again, is possible through what
all Americans are great at - consumerism!

please tell everyone you know about this!
and see it!

to the health of our planet! - chris

Old June 15th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

well buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull**** dave, why don't you have look at
some of the information and arguments made in this film and then we can
have a real conversation about this issue and you'll have the
opportunity to provide me with a (perhaps) more convincing and informed
response.

really, i'm open to it.

sincerely,

chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

Old June 15th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

well buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull**** dave, why don't you have look at
some of the information and arguments made in this film and then we can

have a real conversation about this issue and you'll have the
opportunity to provide me with a (perhaps) more convincing and informed

response.

really, i'm open to it.

sincerely,

taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarek

Old June 15th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Old June 19th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The American buying public HAS voted on the issue of electric cars via
marketing surveys. The majority of potential buyers want at least 200
miles range on a charge before they buy an electric. The mfgs are
reluctant to invest in a vehicle the market won't buy.

The technology IS here to make a 100 mile vehicle, but is not here to
make a reasonably priced 200 mile one.

We can wait till battery technology reaches the 200 mile mark, or we can
change our minds and say, "okay, it would be my second car, for around
town and short trips, and I'll buy a 100 mile car." I don't blame the
industry for being reluctant to develop and design a car they think the
public won't buy. No project manager wants to get the reputation of
being an Edsel creator.

Old June 15th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Waiting for the sequel....

I'm waiting for the sequel......

"Who killed the lying, sob, gullible, tree-huggin' idiotic liberal who
hasn't got a single clue?"

Where does the electricity come from to charge these electric vehicles?

NIMBY?

What about the hazardous waste impact of the batteries/chemicals/heavy
metals, etc. when they are used up?

NIMBY?

What about the hazards of servicing these high-voltage vehicles? You're
asking automotive technicians to take on the same risk as electrical
company line workers.

What sort of impact will THAT have on workers comp and other insurances?

Electric cars - and alleged "intellectual and property proprietary
information" involved will, effectively, eliminate the independent
automotive service aftermarket - giving dealerships a monopoly. You think
auto repair is expensive now?

If you believe GM would like to see the Electric car or Hybrids die, you
are sadly mistaken. Service exclusivity would be a windfall for its
"stealerships".

Old June 16th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:

> apparently the necessary science and technology is already available to
> reverse global warming but GM and uncle sam are literally shredding it.
>
> yet we the people have the power!

While I must applaud your enthusiasm, think about where you get your
electricity from. Does your power plant produce electricity pollution
free? Mine doesn't either. I've always thought that having an electric
car does not stop pollution, it just moves the source of pollution from
your exhaust tail pipe to the power plant's smoke stake, although they
probably produce it a little more efficiently.
To produce electricity pollution free you need to get it from hydro,
the sun or from the wind. Which one do you have? Can you imagine if
everybody had a solar cell, a large windmill or a source of hydro power
in their back yard? It's just not going to happen.
One more thing about "GM and Uncle Sam shredding it". GM doesn't own
the world and neither does Uncle Sam. (although Uncle Sam tries to) Do
you see electricity used ANYWHERE in the world as the major source of
automobile transportation? Most of the world's electric subways get
their power from pollution-producing power plants also.
Now, if electric cars are so simple to build, go ahead and build one
and show us how it is done. Remember that it has to have most of the
conveniences of an internal combustion engine or people won't want to
buy or use it.

Good luck.

Old June 23rd 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Kruse wrote:

> While I must applaud your enthusiasm, think about where you get your
> electricity from. Does your power plant produce electricity pollution
> free? Mine doesn't either. I've always thought that having an electric
> car does not stop pollution, it just moves the source of pollution from
> your exhaust tail pipe to the power plant's smoke stake, although they
> probably produce it a little more efficiently.
> To produce electricity pollution free you need to get it from hydro,
> the sun or from the wind. Which one do you have? Can you imagine if
> everybody had a solar cell, a large windmill or a source of hydro power
> in their back yard? It's just not going to happen.
> One more thing about "GM and Uncle Sam shredding it". GM doesn't own
> the world and neither does Uncle Sam. (although Uncle Sam tries to) Do
> you see electricity used ANYWHERE in the world as the major source of
> automobile transportation? Most of the world's electric subways get
> their power from pollution-producing power plants also.
> Now, if electric cars are so simple to build, go ahead and build one
> and show us how it is done. Remember that it has to have most of the
> conveniences of an internal combustion engine or people won't want to
> buy or use it.
>
> Good luck.

Power plants can produce electricity more efficiently, and electric
cars can be built to use that electricity for motive power more
efficiently, than the efficiency of most gasoline engines used to
provide motive power.

I charged my electric car from solar panels, but even if I used grid
power, most of this part of the country is supplied from hydroelectric
facilities operated by Tennessee Valley Authority.

Anyone can do as I did and convert an existing automobile to an EV or
hybrid. Granted, many production cars and SUVs are just too heavy to
get decent range compared to vehicles initially designed to be EVs.
Until the automakers give us better alternatives, we'll just have to
make do with EV conversions or homebuilt EVs.

Bob