E46 330i key replacement wait time?

Old February 5th 05, 03:09 PM
GRL

Default E46 330i key replacement wait time?

How long does it take to get a replacement key for an E46 330i ordered
from a dealer?

I'm at 2 months and waiting. That seems ridiculous, but is it normal for
BMW?
/

George Litwinski

//

"It's good to want things."

/

S. Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic.Net programmer)

Old February 24th 05, 03:47 AM
GRL

Just to close the story, the long delay was the result of a lying scum
bag salesman who never ordered the key. He has been fired (not because
of this) and the dealership owner has promised to make good on the key.
I am to buy it ($126) and they will re-imburse me. We'll see.

Finally, the key replacement is a 24 h thing. The BMW dealer orders the
key and they get it next day. The dealer can program it or he can give
you instructions using your existing key and the car.

- GRL

Old February 24th 05, 03:48 AM
GRL

Not true. Local Lock-smith said he can do one for $35.

Old February 24th 05, 11:38 AM
Bill K. Sydney AU

"GRL" > wrote in message
> Not true. Local Lock-smith said he can do one for $35.

I can say that, too. But I can't deliver. Can s/he?

Old February 25th 05, 04:45 AM
GRL

Sigh.

This is a 65+ year old lock-smith who's been doing this sort of thing
for decades and told me he'd done them for BMW owners frequently. Why
would he lie to me? I want one with a remote, so no sale to me.
Otherwise hhe'd get my business.

- GRL

Old February 28th 05, 04:46 PM
The Malt Hound

"Shadowdancer" > wrote in message
news:1109393424.64759db65b0f0149faf525a58fe01ace@m eganetnews2...

> We got one master with the Z3 that we just bought, so I checked with
> both BMW dealers in the area as to cost and delivery time. Sam Swope
> in
> Louisville said 2-3 days and $28.50, Don Jacobs in Lexington said
> 2-3
> days for $61.00. I'm driving to Louisville.

I don't know how far a drive that is, but some dealers are willing to
do key replacements by mail order. You have top send (fax) them
ownership proof details and of course, make payment, they will send
you back a key. With the cost of gas these days, it might be cheaper
than the drive.

-Fred W

Old February 28th 05, 06:47 PM
Shadowdancer

In article >, Malt_Hound@*no says...

> I don't know how far a drive that is, but some dealers are willing to
> do key replacements by mail order. You have top send (fax) them
> ownership proof details and of course, make payment, they will send
> you back a key. With the cost of gas these days, it might be cheaper
> than the drive.
>
> -Fred W

35 miles to Lexingtonon the interstate, 50 miles to Louisville on some
nice two lane with some nice twisty bits. If we drive over and pay,
they will mail the key on completion, plus we get to do some "big city"
shopping.

Thanks for the tip on faxxing, though. We're real new to this corner of
the car owning world, and we can use all the help we can get!

Perry