car trouble

Old January 20th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default car trouble

a friends husband grrr, said he would change the points in my mazda 626
84 model 4cindinder (which should have a electric ignition) he said
that the timing was way out ( mind u a new timing belt put in by my
mechcanic 5 months ago u would think would be right) and the car
carried on when he put the new points in.
the mechcanic had said when i had the money to put in a electric
ignition cause the cars points were getting so dirty so quickly that it
was making my car drive really noisy and vibrating when they got dirty.
so long story short went to wreakers got a electric ignition and friend
put it in, and thats the start of my problems.
when i drive the car it drives while moving pretty good, until a car in
front or god forbid a light turns red and i have to stop lol, the rpm
needle gos crazy moving from 1 to 0 and the car starts choking and then
stalls is a nightmare thats now never ending, the guy is my best
friends husband and he has stuffed my car, took it to my mechcanic and
he sprays some stuff around and tightened this and that and fiddled
around and said he thinks he fixed it (he was really busy at the time)
and i put her in reverse and the problem was still there. he said that
he thought it mite be the distribder cap (forgive my spelling please)
that i needed to go buy one cause it wasnt the right one as it was for
points so i went and got that and a new rotar button and now the car is
worse,
the friend set the timing to 2 decrese and thinks thats right as we
could after alot of looking on the net and trying the library to find a
mazda 626 book to check the timing which we came up with nothing. he
used the gun and really still thinks that its right and has to be
something else. i on the other hand think if it was set so far out
before when i had the belt replaced in august last year that surelly
the mechcanic set all that right at the time.
so my question is does any one out in the wide world of the internet
have a mazda 626 84 model or the mazda 626 book that could please tell
me the correct timing for this model.
i feel real **** cause this idoit is trying to tell me that something
else is causing it and that the car was runing **** before bla bla and
i no he is wrong, i am only a female and i only got my driving licences
12 months ago which i learned in this car, i no the car well and when i
brought it u could barely hear the motor now it sounds like a v8 not a
4. anyway this post has made me feel so much better and i hope someone
reads this and feels sorry for me and can offer some advice and maybe
think of something we havent tried i am a single mother on very little
income which is why i let him touch the car, he does no what he is
doing and has fixed many cars but never a mazda

Old January 20th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

andrea69au > wrote:
>the mechcanic had said when i had the money to put in a electric
>ignition cause the cars points were getting so dirty so quickly that it
>was making my car drive really noisy and vibrating when they got dirty.
>so long story short went to wreakers got a electric ignition and friend
>put it in, and thats the start of my problems.

Okay, what sort of electronic ignition system did you put in? Was this
one of the aftermarket modules? If so, are you sure it was any good,
since after all it did come from a junkyard?

Find a competent mechanic. Not somebody who is too busy to do anything
but spray some stuff around. Not somebody who is the husband of a friend.

If the electronic ignition module is one of the aftermarket units that
still uses the points to get timing information, it should be very
easy to remove and put back to the car's original state. Then you can
at least be assured that all the problem -was- caused by the ignition
retrofit. Either the problem was caused by a bad unit, or by wrong
installation. You need to find out which but in the meantime remove
it so you can drive the thing.
--scott

Old January 20th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

hi the ignition came out of another 1984 mazda 626 and the car had just
came into the yard from where ever had been in a small car crash. when
the friend at first tried to put the points in before we went for the
ignition he changed the timing cause it was way off the marks and the
car didnt like anything he changed it too.
the mechcanic he is good but for any work thats going to take alittle
while i really need to book it in, and id rang him the day before and
he said to bring it in and he would have a quick look, i think in his
mind he thought it would be a easy repair he didnt charge me and said
to bring it back this weekend if it was still playing up

Old January 20th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

andrea69au wrote:
> a friends husband grrr, said he would change the points in my mazda 626
> 84 model 4cindinder (which should have a electric ignition) he said
> that the timing was way out ( mind u a new timing belt put in by my
> mechcanic 5 months ago u would think would be right) and the car
> carried on when he put the new points in.
> the mechcanic had said when i had the money to put in a electric
> ignition cause the cars points were getting so dirty so quickly that it
> was making my car drive really noisy and vibrating when they got dirty.
> so long story short went to wreakers got a electric ignition and friend
> put it in, and thats the start of my problems.
> when i drive the car it drives while moving pretty good, until a car in
> front or god forbid a light turns red and i have to stop lol, the rpm
> needle gos crazy moving from 1 to 0 and the car starts choking and then
> stalls is a nightmare thats now never ending, the guy is my best
> friends husband and he has stuffed my car, took it to my mechcanic and
> he sprays some stuff around and tightened this and that and fiddled
> around and said he thinks he fixed it (he was really busy at the time)
> and i put her in reverse and the problem was still there. he said that
> he thought it mite be the distribder cap (forgive my spelling please)
> that i needed to go buy one cause it wasnt the right one as it was for
> points so i went and got that and a new rotar button and now the car is
> worse,
> the friend set the timing to 2 decrese and thinks thats right as we
> could after alot of looking on the net and trying the library to find a
> mazda 626 book to check the timing which we came up with nothing. he
> used the gun and really still thinks that its right and has to be
> something else. i on the other hand think if it was set so far out
> before when i had the belt replaced in august last year that surelly
> the mechcanic set all that right at the time.
> so my question is does any one out in the wide world of the internet
> have a mazda 626 84 model or the mazda 626 book that could please tell
> me the correct timing for this model.
> i feel real **** cause this idoit is trying to tell me that something
> else is causing it and that the car was runing **** before bla bla and
> i no he is wrong, i am only a female and i only got my driving licences
> 12 months ago which i learned in this car, i no the car well and when i
> brought it u could barely hear the motor now it sounds like a v8 not a
> 4. anyway this post has made me feel so much better and i hope someone
> reads this and feels sorry for me and can offer some advice and maybe
> think of something we havent tried i am a single mother on very little
> income which is why i let him touch the car, he does no what he is
> doing and has fixed many cars but never a mazda

so your only problem is stall and rough idle, both at low RPM?

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Old January 20th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The "base timing" is set with the gun. When the car starts cold the timing
is adjusted mechanically by the vaccum hose on the distributor and by the
weights inside. Once the engine heats up the oxygen sensor starts workign
and the computer takes over adjusting the timing. The actual firing of the
spark plugs is done by the transistorized electronic points. The
transistor module can be tested. Some auto parts stores will do it for
free. When I tried to preplace the module on my 1989 Mazda engine (in a
Ford Festiva) with one from a wrecker it failed the test. I had to buy a
new one. There is no "after market" module for my car and I suspect there
is not for yours either. There is only one manufacturer in Japan. The
North American importer is Standard Auto Parts. Their Canadian subidiary
is Blue Streak.

When you replace a module you should spread dielectric (non-conducting)
heat transfer grease under it, the same stuff they use on Personal
Computers to separate the CPU from the heat sink and fan. I believe my first
replacement installed by a mechanic failed because it overheated. He put
it in dry. Buy the grease at an electronics shop, not Radio Shack where it
costs a lot more. I got 3 bubbles for $3 and used one.

Good luck.

Old January 20th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Andrea, I'd just like to point out that the timing belt you had
replaced wouldn't have anything to do with ignition timing. The belt
drives the camshaft and is concerned with cam timing.

Old January 20th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article .com>,
andrea69au > wrote:
>hi the ignition came out of another 1984 mazda 626 and the car had just
>came into the yard from where ever had been in a small car crash. when
>the friend at first tried to put the points in before we went for the
>ignition he changed the timing cause it was way off the marks and the
>car didnt like anything he changed it too.

So, this year's model is available both with points and with an
electronic system? They changed in the middle of the model year?
That's weird.

Do you know what he changed? Did he change the whole distributor
and a black box?

If it were up to me, I would have looked for one of those aftermarket
units that were made in the seventies and eighties.... they keep the
existing points but they run so little current through them that the
points last a long time.

>the mechcanic he is good but for any work thats going to take alittle
>while i really need to book it in, and id rang him the day before and
>he said to bring it in and he would have a quick look, i think in his
>mind he thought it would be a easy repair he didnt charge me and said
>to bring it back this weekend if it was still playing up

Everybody hates cleaning up after someone else. I know I charge a lot
more to fix someone else's mistakes than to just do things from the
bottom up, because there's sometimes a lot of effort involved in figuring
out what the other guy actually did.
--scott
Old January 20th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Frank wrote:
> Andrea, I'd just like to point out that the timing belt you had
> replaced wouldn't have anything to do with ignition timing. The belt
> drives the camshaft and is concerned with cam timing.

If the belt was installed wrong it would.

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Old January 20th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Well, OK, I realize that, but I was of the impression that it ran OK
after the belt was installed. I could be wrong; it sure wouldn't be a
first ;o)