1994 Plymouth Acclaim check engine light

Old December 28th 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1994 Plymouth Acclaim check engine light

The check engine light keeps coming on in my girlfriends Acclaim. It has
oil and coolant. What else could be causing the light to come on? Thanks.

Old December 28th 05, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
> The check engine light keeps coming on in my girlfriends Acclaim. It has
> oil and coolant. What else could be causing the light to come on?

Thanks.

In my experience, the CE light often reflects a condition such as a sensor
input
which is out of range of what the control module accepts as normal.
The sensor may be bad, or an engine condition may be present which generates
a sensor
signal which then trips the check engine sequence..

Could be a lot of things. Don't throw parts at it..Have someone scan it for
you,
or take it to a mechanic who can diagnose the problem exactly.

Old December 29th 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, wrote:

> I have a code 37 and a code 32.

32: EGR system fault

37: Transmission torque converter lockup clutch circuit open or shorted
(probably because somebody pulled the plug, which lives next to the trans
fluid dipstick).

Old December 30th 05, 08:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks Daniel. I'll see if the plug is pulled for the transmission error.
What should I do for the EGR error? Thanks again!

n.umich.edu...

Old December 30th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, wrote:

> Thanks Daniel. I'll see if the plug is pulled for the transmission
> error. What should I do for the EGR error?

It's probably either a faulty EGR valve or a clogged EGR crossover pipe,
but could be another fault.
Old January 3rd 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Upon closer inspection I find that the transmission sensor seemed to be
connected properly but I pulled it off just in case and noticed that there
is transmission fluid in the socket. Is this normal? I wiped it out with
some q tips and put it back on but I still get the error. As for the EGR
valve, it looks to be connected properly (no hose cracks or anything), so
should I remove it and clean it with something? I did notice that the car
will rev up and then go back to normal idle repeatedly while just sitting in
park. I assume that is because the EGR is throwing something off? Advance
Auto wants $69 for a replacement EGR. Should I just replace it? Will it
hurt anything if she were to drive it anywhere or will it just have crappy
gas mileage and the funny idle? Thanks for any help.

.umich.edu...

Old January 3rd 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, wrote:

> Upon closer inspection I find that the transmission sensor seemed to be
> connected properly but I pulled it off just in case and noticed that there
> is transmission fluid in the socket. Is this normal?

Nope. Something's probably broken. Note that this code won't make major
problems for you or the car; you'll just lose about 6% fuel economy over
45mph if you don't fix it.

> put it back on but I still get the error.

You'd have to clear the codes and see if the 37 comes back -- they don't
self-clear. Clearing the codes is achieved by removing the negative
battery cable for 2 minutes, then reconnecting it.

> As for the EGR
> valve, it looks to be connected properly (no hose cracks or anything), so
> should I remove it and clean it with something?

You can try, though sometimes they're so carboned up that replacement is
the only option. The EGR valve on this car connects to an EGR crossover
tube, which is a metal pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold up and
across to the EGR valve where it sits on the intake manifold. This pipe
can and does eventually become clogged with carbon, necessitating cleaning
or replacement.

> I did notice that the car
> will rev up and then go back to normal idle repeatedly while just sitting in
> park.

Not normal.

> Advance Auto wants $69 for a replacement EGR.

Probably about what you'll spend, but check
www.rockauto.com .

> Will it hurt anything if she were to drive it anywhere

A faulty EGR valve *can* cause collateral damage in addition to the
driveability and mileage reductions. This ought to be fixed.

DS
Old January 9th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for all the help Daniel. After cleaning the transmission sensor and
reconnecting it and replacing the EGR valve, all errors are gone. You sure
know alot about the Plymouth Acclaim! Thanks again!