Rear Brake Shoes - '93 Jeep Cherokee

Old January 2nd 05, 12:07 AM
Ralf

Default Rear Brake Shoes - '93 Jeep Cherokee

Anyone who has info, knowledge on how to replace rear brake shoes on 1993
Jeep Cherokee please contribute.. are there any special tips, ideas,
procedures which would make this job easier? It has been many years since
I have tackled one of these, but my son has asked me to help.. thanks to
each of you and have a great 2005.. R. Griffith

Old January 2nd 05, 12:15 AM
DougW

Ralf did pass the time by typing:
> Anyone who has info, knowledge on how to replace rear brake shoes on 1993
> Jeep Cherokee please contribute.. are there any special tips, ideas,
> procedures which would make this job easier? It has been many years since
> I have tackled one of these, but my son has asked me to help.. thanks to
> each of you and have a great 2005.. R. Griffith

A digital camera is always a good idea. (before you take things apart)

Clean (no lube) the insides and while your there throw in a "brake kit"
Springs, retainers, new adjuster wheel. Make sure you put the correct
adjuster wheel on the correct side or they won't work. And watch the adjuster
pawl and adjuster wheel as they are usually bloody dang sharp.

The drums may need turning if they are scored or have a big lip on them.

OBTW: if you find yourself swearing and cussing because the drums won't
come off... disconnect the emergency brake cable under the Jeep.

http://members.cox.net/douglas.wilso...3ZJ-lowres.JPG

When you go to put the brakes back on, adjust the brakes out till you can't
slide the drum on then back off just till it goes on with a bit of
resistance. Otherwise you will be waiting on the adjuster to take up
the slack and it works slowly.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old January 2nd 05, 01:22 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Ralf,
Start out by using a good product Bendix or Raybestos:
http://www.raybestos.com/usa/brakepads.htm
A picture of a similar Dana 44:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axl...2/DSCN0913.jpg
The tricks I use with drum brakes, are to remove the wheels and
slide them under the frame for a little extra protection in case I jar
it off it's blocks. Usually the drums stick a little to the hub, I
squirt the lugs and center with with WD-40 and hit it with a hammer at
the drum's edge like you were going push it back on and make it ring
like a bell, usually it pop lose, back at you. Rather than the twenty
years I did blowing the asbestos off with air, I've found that a blast
with the garden hose does a much better job of containing the dust and
cleaning the parts you'll use again. As you disassemble place the parts
on the tire rim you have lying beside you so as they are in the same
position as they look on the backing plate, will help immensely with the
different color coded springs on reassemble. Remember the longer shoes
goes to the back side. If you heard a metal to metal sound before you
started work on the brakes, then you may have to poke a small
screwdriver through the backing plate to push the ratchet lever back and
release the star, and another to back it off before the drum will come
off: http://www.billhughes.com/brakeAdjuster.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old January 4th 05, 02:54 AM
TCL

After years of doing this type of job, I finally purchase a special tool for
doing drum brakes. It looks like a large bent pliers. It will make the job
of removing and replacing those springs a lot easier and safer. The dumb
thing about it is that they cost less than $15. I'm through using a vise
grip and screwdriver!

Have fun!