Front Axle Beam

Old February 13th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Front Axle Beam

Hello I just got a 1974 blue bug it needs a lot of work i mean it looks ok
but it wont run half the time an the suspension sucks. the guy i got it from
made it look good but it's not. I am looking for a front axle for the 1974
bug thank i hope someone can help me lol. I am in Walland TN
Old February 13th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Brian Knoblich wrote:
> Hello I just got a 1974 blue bug it needs a lot of work i mean it looks ok
> but it wont run half the time an the suspension sucks. the guy i got it from
> made it look good but it's not. I am looking for a front axle for the 1974
> bug thank i hope someone can help me lol. I am in Walland TN

Is the axle beam bent from an accident or rusted out?
If not, I would keep the old beam.
Replace ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends.

BTW, on a '74 you have to saw off or bend out of the way the
safety bumper struts before you can remove the beam.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old February 13th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

it's rusted out it some places. really i did not know that thanks. I just got
the car about 6 weeks ago. an been trying to make it run an all lol. thanks
Brian

Old February 13th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Brian Knoblich wrote:

> it's rusted out it some places. really i did not know that thanks. I just got
> the car about 6 weeks ago. an been trying to make it run an all lol. thanks
> Brian

<SNIP>

If the beam is rusted, I would take a hard look at the rest of
the car before sinking any cash into it. Could be a money pit.

Jim
Old February 13th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Brian Knoblich wrote:
>
> > it's rusted out it some places. really i did not know that thanks. I just got
> > the car about 6 weeks ago. an been trying to make it run an all lol. thanks
> > Brian
> >

> <SNIP>
>
> If the beam is rusted, I would take a hard look at the rest of
> the car before sinking any cash into it. Could be a money pit.

That's very good advice (as always, Jim).

Should you find that only the beam needs replacing, go to:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php and search for "front
beam".
At the moment there are a few around. Most are in CA, one in GA

Remco

Old February 13th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

If you are going to have to have one shipped to you then I would just pay
the extra and get a new one. I have one on a 74 bug out back but the cost of
taking it off and shipping would be more then getting a new one. I picked up
the 74 for some spare parts for a 73 that I am putting togather. I findly
got it on the road but it still needs lots of small things to be just what I
want. So anyone that I have talked to about the Rotten Pumpken can now know
that it runs great and passed insp with flying colors. Thanks for all advice
that was given. If anyone wants to see some photo's of it just let me know
and I will send some along. I wish that I had been taking them all along to
show progress but you know how hind sight goes. I had a couple of weeks that
were warm enough fo take it out and then a cold spell hit so back on went
the tarp. It looks like it will be up in the 70's tomorrow so I will go out
bugging around again for a couple of days. I had forgot just how much fun
the bug really is.

oups.com...

Old February 13th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
. com...

> If the beam is rusted, I would take a hard look at the rest of
> the car before sinking any cash into it. Could be a money pit.

.........Very good advice. If he does have a bent or rusted beam and chooses
to replace it, I purchased a rebuilt from spindle to spindle beam from a
mail order retailer (this was before there was an Aircooled.Net) several
years ago and the shipping by truck freight wasn't as bad as you might
think. Don't remember the amount for the truck freight but it couldn't have
been more than maybe $40 from California to my driveway here in upstate NY.
I just recently removed that beam from my '70 bug and installed it on my '77
and finally started getting some good use out of it before putting the bug
away for the winter.

Old February 15th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thanks for all the info. I have worked on bugs befor but not one like this
one it's going to need a lot of work lol.

Scout axle data? Stupendous Man Jeep 2 December 8th 05 02:56 AM
94 yj xfer case not engaging front axle Marvin Oliver Jeep 4 April 7th 05 04:21 AM
$79 on replacing Front Axle [email protected] Honda 3 January 20th 05 07:28 PM
need 88 Chev K2500 front axle expanded view Daniel 4x4 8 May 21st 04 07:08 AM