2001 Grand Cherokee brake issues

Old April 14th 05, 02:04 AM
dcollivier

Default 2001 Grand Cherokee brake issues

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 43,000 Km's 6 cyl power everything.
The brakes will just fade to nothing and I am left with no brakes at all.
This is the third time that this has happened to me. The first time the
dealer told me that the pads were done up front and that it was a fluke that
the brakes faded that bad. they replaced the pads under warrenty and
adjusted and cleaned the rear. The seconf time it happened the brakes let
go during a hard stop. The pedal went to the floor and there was no braking
left. The dealership replaced the master cylinder and cleaned and adjusted
the brakes at all corners. The tech said that he checked the antilock
system and there was nothing wrong. I asked about recall's and was told
that there were none for this problem. The Jeep was fine for about a month
and two days ago the brakes went agian during a hard stop. The dealer towed
the Jeep in and I told them that I did not want it back unless it was fixed
in fear of loosing braking and not being able to avoid an accident. Any
help would be appreciated..

Old April 14th 05, 03:01 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Antilock Brake System are supposed to "let go during a hard stop"
so you may steer around the intersections.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 17th 05, 08:13 PM
dcollivier

Antilock brakes are not supposed to "let go and allow no braking during hard
stops". I would say that it is a failure of some sort at any time your bake
pedal hits the floor during a hard stop and you are left with no bakes at
all....

Old April 17th 05, 08:34 PM
DougW

dcollivier did pass the time by typing:
> Antilock brakes are not supposed to "let go and allow no braking during hard
> stops". I would say that it is a failure of some sort at any time your bake
> pedal hits the floor during a hard stop and you are left with no bakes at
> all....

Pedal going to the floor tells me a couple of things.
If it's a leak you will know from the brake fluid level.
So assuming no leak,

1) bad master cyl that is bypassing internally
2) ballooning hose

Old April 17th 05, 09:58 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Your warning brake light should have been lit long before the
failures of both the master cylinder's primary, secondary cups, and the
proportioning valve detecting a leak. Why were you driving it?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 18th 05, 02:04 AM
mic canic

maybe a flex hose is balloning out under pressure

2001 CRV Brake Light Joe M Honda 1 April 3rd 05 11:31 PM
2001 Infinity radio issues WVK Chrysler 1 January 16th 05 07:28 PM
Brake rotors already grooving [email protected] Technology 46 January 15th 05 03:42 PM
brake pads for 2001 Audi A4 2.8L V6 Quattro Curtis Newton Audi 2 November 18th 04 02:44 PM
'84 Audi 4000s Quattro brake issues, balancing ItJstAGame Audi 2 July 23rd 04 04:17 AM