Grand Theft Internet ::: 1931 Porsche Type 12.jpg (1/1)

Old August 25th 07, 09:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Square Wheels[_2_]

Default Grand Theft Internet ::: 1931 Porsche Type 12.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1931 Porsche Type 12.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	95014
Old August 26th 07, 06:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
MagisterMax

Is this the NSU prototype?

Max

"Square Wheels" > wrote in message

Old August 26th 07, 08:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
§qu@re Wheels[_6_]

MagisterMax wrote:

> Is this the NSU prototype?
>
> Max

Uh ... well ... I ..... hell, I dunno!

Seriously, Max, I'm a bit confused here; I've been up to my dainty
shell-like ears in VWs and VW history and it's all running together.

OK, when I think NSU, I think NSU Prinz (or Prince in some places), but
that was much later. So, I tried to put all of what I've read together
into something coherent.

Wish me luck!

OK, the Typ 12 was an influence for the VW as was the 1931 Tatra T97.
The Typ 12 was a concept and was never built.

Now, attached is a 1934 NSU which was the proto for the VW, so it's
kinda backwards.

NSU was deeply involved with the Wankel engine, and consequently Mazda,
which has been around since 1920, and I got the impression that that is
what got NSU linked to Auto Union, et al.

It started when I did some checking on the Brasilian VWs.

The path I took:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle

That had a thumbnail of the Typ 12 and linked to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Porsche_typ12.jpg

which is where I snagged that pic.

Your question prompted me to revisit:

http://home.ict.nl/~ramklein/VW/Autostadt.html

which is where the attached pic is from. And I believe it was there
where Citroen came into the picture. Confuzzed yet?

Then, I trotted over to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSU_Motorenwerke_AG

just for a quick refresher.

Now, I do have a few more (maybe 4 or 5) similar pix, with that
2CV/VW/Porsche look to them. I'll clean them up and post them as soon as
possible.

Well, Max, that should keep your head spinning for a bit!

BTW, I am most definitely NOT getting all the poasts to ABPA -- in fact,
I'm losing my own that vanished within 40 minutes of showing up. I
replied to that Gnash Upskrue mentioning that I lost a Nash but gained a
Ford (not an equitable trade, but.....). It came thru, and when I got
new messages maybe an hour later, it had fallen off my server. And these
power-spikes may also have something to do with it as well. (I had 11
light bulbs blow out in just over 2 weeks).

Anyway, I'll get those other pix ready to poast.....

SW

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Autostadt - 1934 NSU.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	95294
Old August 26th 07, 08:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
MagisterMax

I don't think it's the NSU prototype now that I look again. I think this is
the Zundapp prototype. Various German firms came up with ideas for making a
volkswagen and both Zundapp and NSU came up with running prototypes very
early in the process. I'll have a look for Zundapp but am pretty sure
that's what this picture is of.

Max

""§qu@re Wheels""
<mostly_harmless@pangalactic_vector_exchange_trans ponder31_universe.net>

Old August 26th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
John Bradley

This is the Zundapp prototype destroyed by Allied bombing of Stuttgart in
1944.
john