Steering systems

Old August 1st 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Steering systems

Can anyone tell me what kind of steering system they use on very long
cars where
the driver is far from the front wheels and using a very long steering
column is inappropriate ???

like that used in a dragster or in Jay Leno's Blastolene...

Old August 1st 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>Can anyone tell me what kind of steering system they use on very long
>cars where
>the driver is far from the front wheels and using a very long steering
>column is inappropriate ???

Why is using a very long steering column inappropriate?

You might have an extra U-joint or two in there to deal with the long
horizontal run from the rack and pinion, though.
--scott

Old August 1st 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article <01c7d437$76b34b60$6594c3d8@race>, * > wrote:

>Please define a steering column that is too long to be "appropriate." I am
>not familiar with the term or the concept.

When you have to use binoculars to see your front wheels when parallel
parking, that's too long to be appropriate.
--scott

Old August 1st 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

just think of a long dragster using the steering system of your
regular car (rack and pinion).

in a sedan, from the rack and pinion, the steering column connects
straight to the steering wheel.

in a dragster that would be difficult since the distance between the
steering wheel and the rack and pinion is too far.
And so I guess a steering system similar to that of Jay Leno's
Blastolene might be more appropriate.

Old August 2nd 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

of course it is possible to have a very long steering column BUT I'm
just considering the possibility of have some obstacles in the way of
the steering column.

I don't want to argue about a very long column being inappropriate.

I just want to know how a long car's (such as a dragster) steering
system works.

Perhaps anyone can refer me to a website with diagrams/pictures.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that long cars have long tie rods
on each side that are parallel to the car.