rebuilding a slant 6 engine

Old May 16th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
njot

Default rebuilding a slant 6 engine

I am rebuilding a 225 slant 6 engine in a 73 Valiant because it needs
new oil control rings.
However, when I try to pull the piston out of the block, I can't do
it- the rod gets stuck at the bottom of the cylinder.

There are little extra lips of metal on either side of the rod that
prevent the rod from fitting into the bore and being pulled out.

The block and crank are still in the car, so it's not like it would be
that easy to just grind these off or something.

Has anyone run into this, rebuilding an engine of any kind? What did
you do about it?

Thanks.

Old May 16th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

njot wrote:

> I am rebuilding a 225 slant 6 engine in a 73 Valiant because it needs
> new oil control rings.
> However, when I try to pull the piston out of the block, I can't do
> it- the rod gets stuck at the bottom of the cylinder.
>
> There are little extra lips of metal on either side of the rod that
> prevent the rod from fitting into the bore and being pulled out.
>
> The block and crank are still in the car, so it's not like it would be
> that easy to just grind these off or something.
>
> Has anyone run into this, rebuilding an engine of any kind? What did
> you do about it?
>
> Thanks.

Check out the forums and technical archives on www.slantsix.org

Engine Rebuilding in San Diego??? DC Hunt Ford Mustang 1 February 22nd 06 01:26 PM
Engine rebuilding Kuebel Guy VW air cooled 14 August 3rd 05 11:25 AM
engine rebuilding mbjj Technology 1 April 18th 05 01:25 AM
Advice on rebuilding a '31 Chevy Coupe engine samcfadden Antique cars 3 October 10th 04 06:01 AM
Rebuilding an engine, Day 1 - the continuing saga? You tell me... Don Bruder General 5 April 9th 04 06:59 AM