Half-shaft balancing

Old January 19th 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Stekicar

Default Half-shaft balancing

I have find out that vibration comes out due to unbalanced half-shaft.
Where should I look for a half-shaft balancing service? Dealer? I
prefer not. They had no clue what is wrong, set totally wrong diagnose.

Old January 19th 07, 12:20 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
damnnickname

why would a half shaft need balancing? If it is bent, replace it, if the
inner joint is worn(probably the cause) replae it. A shaft will not come
unbalanced unless either the above is present.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 19th 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Stekicar

I have found out that I have vibration on the front left side of the
vehicle. I raised the car, removed tires, turn the engine on, put in
drive and pressed the gas pedal. When right side axle was rotating
there were no vibrations, but when I checked left side, there were
vibrations. On my old driver side half-shaft there was a balance
weight, but on the "new one" which I put 23.000 miles ago there was no
balance weight. Shaft is not bent, and nothing is loose.
Thank you!

Old January 21st 07, 03:53 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
George Jaynes

Junkyard for a new used one. Shaft might be bent. Maybe the CV joints are
shot, that could also cause the vibration.

Old February 21st 07, 04:32 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Me[_4_]

Stekicar wrote:
> I have found out that I have vibration on the front left side of the
> vehicle. I raised the car, removed tires, turn the engine on, put in
> drive and pressed the gas pedal. When right side axle was rotating
> there were no vibrations, but when I checked left side, there were
> vibrations. On my old driver side half-shaft there was a balance
> weight, but on the "new one" which I put 23.000 miles ago there was no
> balance weight. Shaft is not bent, and nothing is loose.
> Thank you!
>

> damnnickname wrote:
>> why would a half shaft need balancing? If it is bent, replace it, if the
>> inner joint is worn(probably the cause) replae it. A shaft will not come
>> unbalanced unless either the above is present.
>>
>> Glenn Beasley
>> Chrysler Tech

I agree with Glenn. But...

Call around and find a shop that can make custom half shafts (needed
when doing engine or transmission swaps). If anyone can balance them
they can. If it is bent or has a bad CV joint, they should be able to tell.

This is what happens when we try to save a few bucks with brand x parts.
I've learned that doing it right the first time actually costs less.

Gyz